Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dick Fosbury RIP

Dick Fosbury revolutionised the high jump with the Fosbury Flop technique
Dick Fosbury - the man who revolutionised the high jump in athletics - has died at the age of 76.

Writing The American leapt backwards over the bar to win gold at the 1968 Mexico Olympics in a technique which became known as the 'Fosbury Flop' and is used by high jumpers today.on Instagram, Fosbury's agent Ray Schulte said his client had died on Sunday.

"It is with a very heavy heart I have to release the news that long time friend and client Dick Fosbury passed away peacefully in his sleep early Sunday morning after a short bout with a recurrence of lymphoma," wrote Schulte.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/64945985

Comments

• Off_it said:
    RIP.

Can't think of many athletes who've completely changed their sport like he did.

Strangely enough, that was a question on Only Connect last night - the only one I got right!

RiP
    I got two last night, including this one.

RIP to an athlete who's genuinely changed his sport.
  • Remember my first attempt at the FF. Wasn't a good idea landing in a sandpit on top of the bar. RIP Dick Fosbury.
  • RIP.
    Innovators are cool.
  • RIP Dick. He revolutionised his event.
  • As someone all too familiar with dick flopping, this guy was like a mentor to me.
  • RIP. Revolutionary. 
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP

Certainly raised the bar.....
  • Thank heavens I left school in 1968, before the Fosbury Flop became famous!

As someone who could not even reliably arrive at the bar leading with the correct leg for a scissor jump, I dread to think what a tangle I would have got into if I'd attempted a FF, ffs!

However, I can thank Dick for enabling me during my teaching years to challenge physics students with the puzzle of how a high jumper gets over the bar while their centre of mass passes under it!

RIP Mr Fosbury
  • Legendary name in athletics. RIP
  • I have always remembered DF and the FF. I did the high jump at school doing the straddle and landing in the sand pit was getting quite painful. Luckily I was able to try the FF with the mattresses and managed to clear 5 feet. My PB. 
    RIP Mr Fosbury. 
  • RIP A name we will remember for a long time.
  • one of a very few people to give their name to a universal technique or product, e.g. Hoover, Molotov and Fosbury .. I remember the astonishment when he first 'flopped' .. R I P
  • RIP, people said he was a bit of a flop... I would like to differ!
  • Sic transit gloria mundi.

RIP