Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chaim Topol RIP

The actor Chaim Topol, best known for his portrayal of milkman Tevye in Fiddler On The Roof, has died at the age of 87, Israel's president has said.

His death was confirmed by President Isaac Herzog, who described Topol as "one of the giants of Israeli culture".

Topol was Oscar nominated for his performance in the 1971 film adaptation of the musical.

His other famous film role included in Flash Gordon, Follow Me, and the James Bond film For Your Eyes Only.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64898895

Comments

• As a lad I got obsessed with eating pistachio nuts, due to his role in For Your Eyes Only.
  • Loved him in For your Eyes and Flash. RIP
  • I think I saw him at Bromley Theatre when I was a kid with the school early 80s  , can’t remember what play , maybe Death of a Salesman … or I may be making it all up 

RIP 
  • RIP Topol.
  • Now, if I were a rich man.........

RIP toppy.
  • RIP.

Iconic performer.

Got the movie role in Fiddler On The Roof as a comparative unknown despite the legendary Zero Mostel playing it on Broadway.
  • Did he fall off a roof?
    RIP
  • He was excellent as Dr. Hans Zarkov in Flash Gordon.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP Topol, one of my dad's favourite films was Fiddler on the Roof  and everytime I hear "if I was a rich man" it always reminds me of my mum and dad sitting watching it together, and I grew to love the song.
    Thank you Topol, for so many happy memories x

• RIP Topol, one of my dad's favourite films was Fiddler on the Roof  and everytime I hear "if I was a rich man" it always reminds me of my mum and dad sitting watching it together, and I grew to love the song.
    Thank you Topol, for so many happy memories x

Same here RM! A family favourite.

RIP Topol. 

• RIP Topol,
    Great actor.
    Israeli perspective here.
    before fiddler on the roof, Topol's great other movie was 'Salah Shabatti', in which he portrayed a Moroccan Jew struggling with life in the then young Israel.
    What is amazing, is how much of Salah Shabatti, he brought to the part of Tuviah - a Russian Ashkenazi Jew, in Fiddler on the roof.
    Only Topol could get away with that...
  • A great role played by a great actor in Fiddler on the Roof.....RIP Topol
  • Fiddler on the roof is not one of my favourites and my spouse hates it. My youngest daughter loves it and we saw Topol in melb about 2006.
    I knew his voice but what amazing stage presence. One of the greats. RIP.
  • edited March 2023
    I remember going to see ‘Fiddler on the Roof’ with my parents when I was fourteen years old and being mesmerised by the film, the story, and Topol’s performance.
    Oh, and as an aside I fell in love with Tevye’s red haired daughter. My second screen love affair after Julie Christie in ‘Doctor Zhivago’.

RIP Topol.