Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Happy 40th Birthday Blue Monday

To try & forget how old this makes us………give me your memories of this absolute classic tune.

Mine, St Mary’s Catholic Church Crayford disco. Patrick Corbet Smith absolutely smashing the dance moves. And then thinking, blimey he’s playing the 12” he’s going to die!!!!! 😎🤣🤣🤣

Comments

• Blue Monday was my favourite record back then.
    I used to play it endlessly and can certainly recall dancing to it at parties.
  • edited March 2023
    personally think their first album is their best. Pretty much a slightly brighter sounding joy division (which they of course were at that point)
  • Ceremony always throws shivers up my spine and makes my eyes fill with tears. 
  • For me, 'True Faith' is unbeatable, music from heaven, despite what it's about.
  • I believe that “Blue Monday” has more recorded remixes than any other song. From classical through every genre to Dub Step.
  • edited March 2023
    For me, 'True Faith' is unbeatable, music from heaven, despite what it's about.
    That is also one of my favourite New Order songs. I listened to it a lot until I read news of a horrible horrible murder in Canada. The victim was Chinese.

(WARNING!!! Extremely disturbing contents below!!!)

"On May 25, 2012, an 11-minute video titled 1 Lunatic, 1 Ice Pick was uploaded to Bestgore.com, depicting a naked male tied to a bed frame being repeatedly stabbed with what appeared to be an ice pick[45] (later revealed to be a screwdriver)[46] and with a kitchen knife, then dismembered, followed by acts of necrophilia.[45][47] The perpetrator uses a knife and fork to cut off some of the flesh, and gets a dog to chew on the body.[45][48] During the video, the 1987 New Order song "True Faith" plays in the background,[45] and a poster for the 1942 film Casablanca is visible on the wall.[49] "

I of course never watched the video, but watched a documentary called "Don't F**k with Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer" (which had been mentioned in the Latest Films thread on here iirc) about the murder. It was disgusting that the murderer used this great song. Nowadays I don't play the song as often as before because I can't help thinking about that awful case. The psycho killer not only brutally murdered a seemingly decent person but also totally ruined a great song.
  • For anyone of a similar mindset, early 90s in Echoes (Bow), Bon Bonnie (Sydenham), Downham Tavern, Albany Deptford, a few Margate "all dayers".
  • Bon Bonnie……Christ that brings me back 😳
  • Sponsored links:

• Jessie said:
    For me, 'True Faith' is unbeatable, music from heaven, despite what it's about.
    ... I listened to it a lot until I read news of a horrible horrible murder in Canada. ..
    Thanks for the warning.

It's one of the reasons I nowadays tend not to get too much into the details of highly disturbing stuff like that.
  • yeah needs a bit of a "trigger warning" that @Jessie

• I bought this on 12" single - one of the few records where I took the risk of buying before hearing it. I wasn't disappointed, it's absolutely cracking as you all know. Got to say though, that Senses is still my favourite New Order track. Am I imagining it, or was 12" the only format you could get it on when it first came out? 

I once had a mate who used to be bothered by a neighbour playing his music too loud. Apparently the other character was quite obnoxious and never turned their music down no matter how nice the request. So my mate made a tape loop of the opening drum track from Blue Monday turned his speakers to the wall, cranked up the volume and then buggered off on holiday. The arms race was won and the other bloke moved out soon afterwards. 

I've been reading Hooky's book about the Haçienda, How not to run a club . Anyone read that? It's a great read.

• Stig said:
    I bought this on 12" single - one of the few records where I took the risk of buying before hearing it. I wasn't disappointed, it's absolutely cracking as you all know. Got to say though, that Senses is still my favourite New Order track. Am I imagining it, or was 12" the only format you could get it on when it first came out? 

I once had a mate who used to be bothered by a neighbour playing his music too loud. Apparently the other character was quite obnoxious and never turned their music down no matter how nice the request. So my mate made a tape loop of the opening drum track from Blue Monday turned his speakers to the wall, cranked up the volume and then buggered off on holiday. The arms race was won and the other bloke moved out soon afterwards. 

I've been reading Hooky's book about the Haçienda, How not to run a club . Anyone read that? It's a great read.

I Read Hookys book and about the bets they had about who could drink a pint of Piss .
  • Stig said:
    I bought this on 12" single - one of the few records where I took the risk of buying before hearing it. I wasn't disappointed, it's absolutely cracking as you all know. Got to say though, that Senses is still my favourite New Order track. Am I imagining it, or was 12" the only format you could get it on when it first came out? 

😂 I had a neighbour who did something similar. Played really sh!te music at high volume and was a right pain in the ar$e!  I used a 12” version of Colourbox’s The Official Colourbox World Cup Theme, turned the speakers to the wall and blasted it out.  It has quite a pounding beat…soon shut the neighbour up 😁
  • Stig said:

Yes, it was only available on 12", I think one of the first where that was the case.  I think Factory Records made a loss on it as well as the sleeve was so elaborate it cost more to manufacture than they got selling it. 
  • Love it! Such a versatile song . Works as well in a house set as an 80s night 
  • Blue Monday is a song that sounds as brilliant today as it did when first released. It doesn't age.