Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any plasterers on here?

Had a downstairs loo re plastered ahead of re tiling / painting. The old loo was floor to ceiling tiles, so I had to pull the old ones down. Left a bit of a patchy wall but the plasterer said he has seen much worse and that it’s impossible to pull off 50 odd tiles and leave an immaculate wall.

so a week ago he reskimned the room.

Last few days I have started to get eggshell like cracking …. You can barely feel it when you run your fingers over it. But a couple of bits have lifted a tiny bit…….. it’s been a week and is well into the drying process. He said it’s dried a bit quick and a light rub down will sort it…… but I’m concerned that when I half tile / paint in a week or sos time and it’s dried out further I will just pull the plaster off.

Thoughts? Is this salvageable?

Comments

• Did he unibond/PVA the wall before he plastered? Doesn't look like it.

I'd get him back, that's not going to look good/last, those cracked bits at least need to come off, looks a very poor job.......
  • I just spoke to my plasterer (who strangely has just plastered my downstairs loo!), he said it looks like he didn't PVA or PVA enough and the wall that was there is sucking out the moisture out of the skimmed coat too quickly. He said he'd hack off any cracking/loose material, PVA and reskim. The alternative is leave it a further week, then hack off any bad bits, fill with easifill 20 and sand smooth. You get a good finish with that filler, I've been through bags!
  • edited March 2023
    I'm not a plasterer but have done a bit. That is not a very good finish and is obviously not adhered well. Id say he has wet it too much to flat off and thats caused the crazing.
    I'd be inclined to leave a couple of weeks and hack off all the loose and live bits and have another go. You certainly shouldn't need Easyfil after paying for a skim job.

I did a course about 12 years ago and know enough to do a few walls a ceilings and also know enough to know I'd never make a living at it. Satisfying to watch but bloody hard work.  
  • As an aside, I was wondering whether a plasterer could be a person that gets frequently drunk? 🤔
  • edited March 2023
    I'm a financial.adviser........

So I have no clue.

Ps. But it doesn't look good.

Pps. His name wasn't Patel by any chance (noting the OP's name.....)
  • Just waiting for @DaveMehmet to appear on this thread.
  • Just waiting for @DaveMehmet to appear on this thread.
    I’m decorating my radio 
  • I've some experience and knowledge of lime plastering and don't use PVA, so can't comment on that.

The last image in my experience of lime can be caused if applied too thick and/or too wet. This results on shrinkage as the moisture escapes and the volume reduces. 

Plaster relies on surface tension to adhere to the wall. Perhaps if PVA isn't diluted enough it will seal the surface then all the moisture can only go one way. Clearly some of the plaster is delaminating. 

Whatever the reason, the bottom line is that the job is substandard and not fit for purpose. Tell him/her to do it again or meet you in the small claims court. Get a report from a decent plasterer to use in court.
  • Sponsored links:

• Had a downstairs loo re plastered ahead of re tiling / painting. The old loo was floor to ceiling tiles, so I had to pull the old ones down. Left a bit of a patchy wall but the plasterer said he has seen much worse and that it’s impossible to pull off 50 odd tiles and leave an immaculate wall.

so a week ago he reskimned the room.

Last few days I have started to get eggshell like cracking …. You can barely feel it when you run your fingers over it. But a couple of bits have lifted a tiny bit…….. it’s been a week and is well into the drying process. He said it’s dried a bit quick and a light rub down will sort it…… but I’m concerned that when I half tile / paint in a week or sos time and it’s dried out further I will just pull the plaster off.

Thoughts? Is this salvageable?

It's a bad job get him back to put it right 
  • Frame it and put it up in a gallery 🤓
  • edited March 2023
    Wall has sucked the moisture out of the skim coat and I doubt there’s a really good adhesion to the substrate at all. I would want this re done. Don’t even  think about tiling over it. The finish you’d be looking for should be like glass.