Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hall Of Fame 2023

Well, it is time for the annual vote for the players to be added to the Hall Of Fame and as usual there are three categories, each containing three candidates. You may vote in all three even though most of you are unlikely to have seen the pre-1950 players. Cast your votes based upon their achievements for Charlton. The candidates are:-
Pre-1950  Chris Duffy, Jack Horton, Joe Jobling.
1951-85   Nicky Johns, Brian Kinsey, Phil Warman.
1986-       Matt Holland, Claus Jensen, Yann Kermorgant.
The link to vote is 

Comments

• from 1951 on all 6 candidates deserve to win
  • Chris Duffy played 162 games from 1945 to 1953 after guesting for Charlton during the war. He scored 33 goals from the wing including one quite significant one in April 1947

Jack Horton only missed nine games over six seasons in the 1920s and 30s racking up 349 appearances for Charlton before being sold to Chelsea for £1,100 in 1933.  He was a key part of the 1929 promotion side, scoring 16 goals and missing only one match

Joe Jobling was relegated once and promoted twice with Charlton between 1931 and 1939 having joined when we were in Division two but ended up a regular in the double promotion side and then the first division side that finished runners up and then 4th in the top flight.   He played 282 times, scoring 6 goals.
  • Can't believe Chris Duffy isn't already on it.
  • from 1951 on all 6 candidates deserve to win
    To be fair, so do those from before 1951.
  • Duffy | Kinsey | Holland for me.

Very difficult to pick someone from 85-onwards out of those three.

Yann is a cult hero, but as a Captain: Holland edges it
  • Duffy, Kinsey, Yann

That was tough
  • Really tough. Jensen was the best player of the three in his category, so went for him. 
  • Duffy
    Kinsey
    Yann
  • Duffy
    Kinsey
    Jensen
  • Duffy
    Kinsey
    Jensen
    Same for me.
    Can't believe our FA Cup winning goalscorer not already there.
    Claus gets the nod over Yann, his moments of class and quality were at the highest level and some of the best memories from our PL stint
  • Sponsored links:

• Duffy
    Kinsey
    Yann
  • Duffy
    Kinsey
    Yann
  • Duffy

Kinsey

Jensen

Tough one though.
  • Matt Holland I’d never consider in a legend category but surprised he played 191 times for us
  • Enfin! Une chance de dire “merci”. 
  • Duffy
    Johns
    Jensen 
  • Duffy
    Kinsey
    Yann
    Ditto
  • Davo55 said:
    Duffy
    Kinsey
    Yann
    Ditto
    and another ditto
  • Duffy
    Kinsey
    Jensen

Last one was tough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Struggling with the most recent players this time, as with so many recent players they don't have the longevity of some of the older generation ones.

To me being in a hall of fame either requires very long service, or doing something very special, e.g. Duffy's FA Cup goal or the Mendonca Wembley hattrick. Or indeed Peter Shirtliff who failed to get elected!
  • Duffy, Kinsey and Jensen. All very deserving
  • Duffy
    Kinsey
    Holland

Was tough to vote against Yann as I love the guy, but Hollands impact was undeniable

The last category this year is so tight to call tho
  • Duffy
    Kinsey
    Holland

Was tough to vote against Yann as I love the guy, but Hollands impact was undeniable

The last category this year is so tight to call tho
    That last one is definitely really tough. I love, love, love Yann but Holland & Jensen did it at a much higher level for us than Yann did. 

I’m kinda leaning towards Jensen. Holland was great, but I’m not sure we’d had many players with the class of Jensen in my lifetime - we definitely haven’t had any since. 

Looks like I’ll be alone in giving Claus my vote, and either of the other two will make worthy winners. I’m sure all three will get into the Hall of Fame eventually. 

Now, who are the candidates from the class of 2022/23?! 
  • Duffy
    Johns
    Jensen
  • I went Duffy, Johns and the hard one was a toss up between Holland and Jensen finally, decided Jensen for scoring one of the greatest goals I been seen away at Arsenal in that magic 4-2 victory and at the opposite end of the scale, the half hearted tackle he put in and that ended up flying off his shin / knee and lobbed Weaver from 40 yards out in I believe a 5-1 away win at Maine road.
  • Duffy
    Kinsey
    Jensen

Also plumped for Claus, our best player in the early 2000s, a golden period for the club.
  • I was interested to learn more about Chris Duffy having seen him play at least once - so I consulted my excellent Valiant 1000.  He was a little man, a little over 5’5” and weighing just 10st 7lb.  In the first FA Cup campaign after the war he played in a total of 10 FA Cup Ties and scored 10 goals, the most by a Charlton player in a single season in that competition.  In the 2-0 win over Bolton Wanderers he scored both goals and his second strike came after he had dribbled round five defenders and was described by Manager Jimmy Seed as the best he had ever seen.  The final against Derby was a disappointment but he scored the winning goal a year later.
  • Duffy (better late than never, hopefully)
    Johns (my all time favorite keeper)
    Yann (our slow demise started when he was let go)
  • Can't believe Chris Duffy isn't already on it.
    One of JS’s favourite signings. 
    Scored our most important goal. 
    Had lunch with him (and others from that era) at the opening of the Jimmy Seed stand. He was a really lively character :-)
    Gotta be a shoe in. 👍