Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Wayne Shorter

I first heard Wayne’s compositions and playing when he was with Weather Report from the early 70’s. I was about 16 at the time and this led me deeper into jazz, for which I’m eternally grateful. Thanks to Wayne for gems like his ‘Speak No Evil’ album or that other-worldly Miles Davis quintet of the 60’s and albums like ‘Water Babies’.

Comments

• Will revisit my Weather Report stiff - always felt they were a good intro to jazz - accessible and not "too far out there" - will have to investigate his post WR Catalogue.
    RIP Wayne.

• Will revisit my Weather Report stiff - always felt they were a good intro to jazz - accessible and not "too far out there" - will have to investigate his post WR Catalogue.
    RIP Wayne.

You must really like them 
  • Weather Report consisted of very talented people and they made some very good albums (Heavy Weather, Japan Live, I Sing the Body Electric), complicated stuff but still i m o 'quite easy listening' Shorter was already a well respected and talented musician before joining W R, he brought a (excuse the seeming oxymoron) simple sophistication to a quite unique sound .. no-one else like him around today .. R I P
  • edited March 2023
    Rip Wayne.
    Back in 1989, I had a recording studio on Purley way in Coulsdon.
    For the whole week I was recording a Mormon church musical... then on friday a jazz group led by Kit Packham came in and played Footprints. What a relief 
    Must confess, I never heard it before.
    All I knew about Wayne Shorter was his great work with Joni Mitchell on 'Shadows & light'...

https://youtu.be/Pxb7pNXJvng