Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tour De France starts next week

13»

Comments

• And on Bastille Day!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Another stage win for Cavendish today. Back in the hunt for Green.

Great news, also the Contador-Armstrong situation is brewing up nicely, should come to a head in the Alps.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Another stage win for Cavendish today. Back in the hunt for Green.[/quote]

Great news, also the Contador-Armstrong situation is brewing up nicely, should come to a head in the Alps.[/quote]

Shaping up nicely. Has the boss still got it? I wouldn't bet against him although Contador is exceptional.

Press release:

On Saturday, the status quo between Contador and Armstrong prevailed as Luis Leon Sanchez of Spain won the eighth stage in the Pyrenees, while Italy's Rinaldo Nocentini retained the yellow jersey.

Contador eclipsed the seven-time Tour champion Armstrong a day earlier in the first Pyrenean ride, and trails the Italian, who is not seen as an overall title threat, by six seconds. Armstrong is eight seconds back.

The Astana team, facing new questions about whether teamwork still trumps its brewing two-man rivalry, on Friday had a powwow on the team bus about the breakaway by Contador a day earlier.

"What's said in the bus, stays in the bus," said team sporting director Johan Bruyneel, confirming the breakaway was discussed but refusing to offer details to reporters.

Before the ride Saturday, when Versus' Frankie Andreu asked whether Astana was more divided now, after Contador's breakaway, Armstrong dodged the issue.

"I'm going to refuse to comment on that," Armstrong said. "At the end of the day, we're all professionals -- and even if there were some hurt feelings, we're going to do our job."

Armstrong didn't speak to reporters after Saturday's stage, a 110-mile trek along three big climbs from the Pyrenean principality of Andorra to Saint-Girons, France.

Armstrong posted on Twitter: "St8 done. Tough but not 2 challenging. Had anti-doping control AGAIN."
  • Cavendish is waaaaay too quick for everyone else!
    Interesting to see what happens between Contador and Armstrong. Whilst their gap is so close i guess the team will say they're free to race each other rather than instructing one to let the other win.
  • Watching them motor up the Aspin and Tourmalet was great stuff....those were two I cycled up in May -very, very hard work made look easy...altho was pleased to see several ridrs getting a bit hot under the collar... I nearly came to a grinding halt under a snow tunnel at La Mongie but somehow managed to push on through...watching it has made me want to go back and do it all again....
  • 4 kms to go. Team Columbia at the front. Cavendish again I reckon.
  • Cavendish wins again!
  • CAVENDISH WINS AGAIN!!!

Genuine quality.
  • And now he's back in green.
  • Looks like its all going down the the Ventoux stage.

I cannot wait.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cavendish is getting all the headlines over here, and quite rightly so. But Bradley Wiggins also is having a fantastic tour. He is only about 38 seconds behind Armstrong in the overall standings, and it is only about 12 months ago that he started to focus mainly on road racing as opposed to track. Yet he hardly gets a mention in the papers I read. I am what you would call a casual cycling fan. I know there are some more avid fans on here who are probably much more uptodate with the behind the scenes stories and gossip and was wondering if Wiggins's amazing improvement is clouded in suspicion in the cycling world.
  • Wiggins conversion from expert time trialist to climber has caught all the media on the hop.

It's a shame but you can tell they instantly think 'drugs' now.

The climb a couple of days ago when he finished in the small bunch with Armstrong was expectional for a GB rider.

Strange one, although its a sprinters stage today, Armstrong is 250/1 with Paddy Power to win today. . . .
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Bloody hell Algarve if I div like me can understand it you certainly can

Get outta the 50s!

No, sorry, and no clearer after BFRs efforts at an explanation either. Montpellier to Montpellier? Why not just stay there and put your feet up for the day? ;-)
  • Not sure The Boss can respond to Contador's effort in The Alps yesterday. He just couldn't respond when Contador went.

Big thumbs up for Bradley Wiggins who looks like a serious podium contender.

Overall:

1.CONTADOR A.AST 63h 17' 56"
    2.ARMSTRONG L.AST @ 01' 37"
    3.WIGGINS B.GRM @ 01' 46"
    4.KLÖDEN A.AST @ 02' 17"
    5.SCHLECK A.SAX @ 02' 26
  • I watched some of yesterday.

There are some cocks of the highest order watching it - waving flags in the riders faces, running close to them.

I was hoping they'd get pushed down the side of the mountain.
  • Well we're nearly there now. Another stage win for Cavendish yesterday giving him 5 in total with a 6th more than possible tomorrow in Paris. He will have a go at the intermediate sprints today to try and close the gap for the Green jersey but has no chance at all of being there at the finish.

Todays stage is the Mother of all stages. Montélimar to Mont Ventoux 167 km with the last 20km finishing at the sumit of Mont Ventoux (elevation nearly 2000 metres). Contador has rightly already cemented his place as 'The New Boss' but the other podium places are there to be won or lost. Bradley Wiggins only 15 seconds behind Armstrong and Kloden 2 seconds behind him. That last 20k will be worth a look for sure, even Soundas will be glued to the box!

1.CONTADOR A.AST 77h 06' 18"
    2.SCHLECK A.SAX @ 04' 11"
    3.ARMSTRONG L.AST @ 05' 21"
    4.WIGGINS B.GRM @ 05' 36"
    5.KLÖDEN A.AST @ 05' 38"
    6.SCHLECK F.SAX @ 05' 59"
  • Is it on live today?
  • Yes on Eurosport (410 normally) from about 12.30. The last hour will be the best by far.
  • I can't wait to see this one...
  • If Cavendish wins today, unless Flintoff puts at least another two performances like his last and England win the ashes, there can be only one winner of this year's BBC sports personality of the year.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]If Cavendish wins today, unless Flintoff puts at least another two performances like his last and England win the ashes, there can be only one winner of this year's BBC sports personality of the year.[/quote]

What about if Button wins the F1 title...but then as proven in recent races its more about having a decent car otherwise you get nowhere.
  • The Cav stage wins are impressive, but what about Bradley Wiggins?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]The Cav stage wins are impressive, but what about Bradley Wiggins?[/quote]

I'm really torn as to which rider has had a better tour. I guess we all knew Cav would win stages but didn't expect 6. Wiggins has been the surprise package and deserves masses of respect for his 4th place in GC.

Oh, and hats off to Contador. One word: Exceptional.
  • Got back last night via the excellent eurostar to ebbsfleet.

Best and most exciting sporting event ive been to.

Walked 15kms up mt ventoux and couldnt go any further as was dead
    due to the intense heat.

Just watched sky+ and i made it on tv with my st
    georges cross!

What doesnt come across on tv is the amount of uk
    people there. Guy across the way was from sidcup,
    who knew fof's, the whole event is mad like that.

If i did it again id do the camper van thing, i am
    totally shattered!
  • What i would recommend is Avignon, lovely place and so easy by train to get to.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Got back last night via the excellent eurostar to ebbsfleet.

Best and most exciting sporting event ive been to.

Walked 15kms up mt ventoux and couldnt go any further as was dead
    due to the intense heat.

Just watched sky+ and i made it on tv with my st
    georges cross!

What doesnt come across on tv is the amount of uk
    people there. Guy across the way was from sidcup,
    who knew fof's, the whole event is mad like that.

If i did it again id do the camper van thing, i am
    totally shattered!

Sounds like you had a good one, I saw a few St Georges Cross's on the mountain so one of them must have been you, spot on re the camper van, I plan to hire one and watch one of the big mountain stages in the not too distant future.

What about Bradley & Cav???, at last, something to make us proud to be English.
  • The problem with the mountain stages is that there are literally thousands of Dutch who stay in the best positions for literally days on end.

The mountain was 1/2 full on Friday night, due to that I gave up m campsite 15kms away and stayed roadside at the foot of the mountain in Bedoin. Went into the village for 4 pints and Steak and Chips which was quality.

Wiggins and Cavendish have been a revelation. Both are absolute winners, Cavendish especially has the genuine X Factor and is merciless.

Would definately recommend it but wouldn't take kids until they are late teenagers as there's not enough facilities around.

Btw, got back to Paris and that place is a bigger carzy than London. Awful.
  • I urge you all of you to watch tonight's stage highlights on ITV4.....

Mark Cavendish is a real superstar.
  • Last weekend a bunch of people from my firm, St James's Place, did the London to Paris ride in 3 days raising money for our foundation and for Laureus, and I was lucky enough to get to ride for the final afternoon with Miguel Indurain. He kept up with my cannondale ultegra Six.

Anyone feeling in the slightest generous, visit http://www.justgiving.com/thewhackyracers and chip in a quid or two, sticking JVL in the comment!
    And yes, that's our Danny Mills doing £50 yesterday, he's pals with one of our Leeds Partners. And indeed our Mick Collins too.
    Ta. JVL