Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor McGrandles leaves on loan to Cambridge

Comments

• His performance against Forest Green was memorable on that Tuesday night back in September 
  • Just up the A1 to Lincoln 
  • having seen him play a few for the Imps, I was amazed we signed him .. it hasn't worked out, best he moves on a s a p
  • This was the lad that was in played instead of Dobson up at Accrington on the opening day of the season. 

A Garner signing or from that Black box, it’s not worked out but who knows what could happen this summer 
  • Given a 3 year contract, loaned out after 6 months
    It's that black box of magic

He came with a free box of chocolates you mean ? 😂
    You saw through me 😄
  • Sponsored links:

• Good loan move, IF we can get in better. 
  • Good move for all concerned. Think he’ll be back in squad next year if he stays fit. 
  • A good move for both him and us if he plays. He’s had such a disrupted and disappointing start to his Charlton career that I don’t expect he is match fit or sharp, and I don’t think we can afford to carry him either.

Do wonder if we are looking for cover for Dobson though, as he has put in a couple of tired performances recently - and even though we won the game, thought Barnsley really did a job on him. 

He’s a DM, we kept a clean sheet and we won. Hope more teams do a job on him like that
  • shirty5 said:
    This was the lad that was in played instead of Dobson up at Accrington on the opening day of the season. 

A Garner signing or from that Black box, it’s not worked out but who knows what could happen this summer 
    Not Accrington, it was Derby at Home
  • Henry hasnt done a bad job when he's made sporadic appearances

If McGrandles going, means that we get Henry tied down to a longer Contract as he's more involved then am all for it
  • edited January 2023
    Slightly closer to Scotland, I guess. What an utter waste of a signing he has been. Injured most of the time (not his fault, but it's factual), and looked off the pace and not very skillful when he did play. For what we got out of him, for the half season he's been here, we'd have been better off playing JFC more, or blooding Henry sooner, and saving the wages on McGrandles. 

Hopefully this signifies another midfielder coming in, or an intent to use Clare there once (if) we can get all our proper full backs fit. I don't believe we have a realistic shot at making the play-offs, so Morgan and Henry are probably good enough until the end of the season at least, but we do lack cover for Dobson
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    shirty5 said:
    This was the lad that was in played instead of Dobson up at Accrington on the opening day of the season. 

Not Accrington, it was Derby at Home
    We were overrun by Derby 1st half....didn't realise he was playing at the time ,right up to now.Its like a light bulb has been turned on.
  • Oh well.

See ya.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looked dreadful on those occasions when he appeared. Hopefully, it'll lead to a permanent move away.
  • Based on his performances for us so far, he would make my worst ever XI.
  • Bailey said:
    A succession of injuries, who knows if he's good, bad or indifferent ? Go and get some games and see how it works out, good for him and it frees up a wage which may or may not be used to bring a player in.   
    We do know how good he is
    We've seen him in Charlton red
    I still have nightmares
    Getting him off the books now is good business
    He was dead weight soaking up resources
    Let's hope that makes a bit more room for someone who'll improve the squad

And to think Garner selected him in place of George Dobson against Derby in August
    He was so comically dreadful they had to spin some 'concussion injury' b/s to get him subbed off after less than half an hour
    Truth was he blundered around bemused like he was concussed before kickoff not from some collision during the game

Good luck Conor, you and Cambridge gonna need it
  • He played very well for 60 minutes for the under 21s on return from injury.
  • Looked like a pub team player drafted in to play for a county level league side. 

• Another success for our black box of tricks……..
  • Oh well.

See ya.
    He's got another two years left after this season.
  • That's an interesting one. He's been really unlucky with injuries. I think Garner, like Adkins, is the kind of manager who doesn't like to play with a destroyer central midfielder and that led him to bringing in McGrandles to provide the violence in his ideal midfield, likely protecting a deep-lying passer. None of that worked out for various reasons including fitness and Dobson proving yet another manager wrong, so it's a good thing for him to go out and try and get some consistent football. I did wonder if he could fit into a three alongside Dobson and Fraser but we can't really afford to ease a player back into fitness at the moment. Hopefully he'll have a decent loan at Cambridge and be able to start next season competing for a squad place once he's got some consistent game time under his belt
  • Hope this means we’ll be bringing someone in?