Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peterborough United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 21st January 2023 | Match Preview - GAME OFF

Peterborough United vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 21st January 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andrew Kitchen

Introduction
Charlton travel to Peterborough this Saturday having once again found a slither of form... We've been in this position before this season, back in October we went on a similar run of form, winning three games on the trot before once again going winless in eight - Victory against Barnsley last Saturday wasn't pretty but it got the job done - If the Addicks want to continue looking upwards at the League table, then we must go into each game with the intent of winning each game we play between now and the end of the season.

The Opposition
Name: Peterborough United (7th) | Manager: Darren Ferguson
Ground: London Road
Previous League Result: Port Vale 0-2 Peterborough United

When there's something strange... and results aren't good... Who ya gonna call... GHOSTBUS-No wait... Darren Ferguson!!

There was much mirth around CharltonLife when Grant McCann received his P45 as a late, and unwanted, Christmas present in January - He became the second Manager in quick succession to be sacked after facing Charlton in recent games, when his side were only able to pick up a single point in SE7 on Boxing Day - Many believed that MacAnthony would turn to the man who resigned less than a year ago, when it looked as though he'd be unable to keep the Posh in the Championship.

Yup that man was, as already mentioned was Darren Ferguson - Into his fourth spell now at London Road, and tasked with guiding his side to the Championship once again... Yup you guessed it, he's already done it on the previous three occasions he's been in charge at Peterborough, his issue is keeping them in the second tier - Because of the FA Cup, Ferguson has only taken charge of one game in his familiar surroundings, a 2-0 win at Port Vale on Monday evening in front of the SKY cameras, leaving our opponents at the head of the Play-Off chasing pack

In terms of new faces that we wont have seen against us on Boxing Day; Will Norris (Goalkeeper on loan from Burnley), and Nathanael Ogbeta, dont laugh, a Left-Back (no doubt invoking cries of... Why didnt we sign him, come 5pm on Saturday) signed on loan from Swansea City - Both of whom could be involved this coming Saturday.

Charlton Team News
Last Saturday saw a late interruption to the team line up, with Steven Sessegnon pulling out of the starting eleven at the last minute - It meant that Sean Clare started on the right as per usual, with Todd Kane moving across to Left-Back... However the new loan signing was unable to last even until Half-Time before becoming our latest injury.

It means that we potentially go into this game with no recognised Left-Back once again, Sessegnon did return to running on the grass this Thursday, yet a return to action may be too risky with more games ahead - One option for Dean Holden will be to deploy Lucas Ness at Left-Back, with Eoghan O'Connell making a return at the heart of the defence, a setup we saw against Barnsley last time out.

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Inniss - O'Connell - Ness
Morgan - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Lavelle - Payne - Henry - Blackett-Taylor - Stockley - Bonne

Comments

• 1-0 narrow defeat.
  • If Sessegnon is not fit then this line up. Tough game and only a win will do to keep the Play Off dream alive. Think we might do it. 0-2. Leaburn & Rak Saki. UTA.
  • Time to smell the cwoffffeee 
    3-1 defeat 
  • edited January 2023
    A must win。
  • JamesSeed said:

It means that we potentially go into this game with no recognised Left-Back once again, Sessegnon did return to running on the grass this Thursday, yet a return to action may be too risky with more games ahead - One option for Dean Holden will be to deploy Lucas Ness at Left-Back, with Eoghan O'Connell making a return at the heart of the defence, a setup we saw against Barnsley last time out.

Maynard-Brewer
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

Is it possible Holden will go with a back three of Inniss, O’Connell and Ness (which I thought he did in the second half v. Barnsley, although could easily be wrong)?
    Corey at LWB maybe?
    I was thinking the same except Campbell at LWB. 
  • SDAddick said:
    JamesSeed said:

Maynard-Brewer
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

Is it possible Holden will go with a back three of Inniss, O’Connell and Ness (which I thought he did in the second half v. Barnsley, although could easily be wrong)?
    Corey at LWB maybe?
    Would two very young players on the left be asking too much?
    Posh would definitely make it the main thrust of their attacks and that is the side Ward plays and IMO is the one who makes them tick.
    They played a 4-2-3-1 last game and BTs speed against 32 year old Thompson and Raks skill could push them back. They should find lots of space to play on Saturday.
    Sess starting would not surprise me as it seems to be an injury that comes and goes. I am really hoping his knee is better!
  • I think CBT will start with Campbell on the bench,
  • So we discover a potentially great centre back who is brimming with confidence and immediately play him out of position. Is that smart?
    If Sess is out it would be better to go 3 5 2 and bring DJ back as a wingback, he is better at it than CBT or Campbell.
  • A fit Sessegnon would make a huge difference. No proper left back and I can see us struggling to win.

If Sess is out then I would also switch to three at the back, drop Clare to the bench and play Leaburn and Bonne as the front two, with Stockley and Aneke (if he is fit enough) from the bench. I think Campbell did enough to justify another start. He also did okay when switched to wing back. 

I think we will get at least a point from this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Big game for me being from Peterborough. Stop JCH and you stop them. Ward overlapping on the right is also a big strength of theirs, need a proper left back really or could be a long day for us. Hope we manage it though...
  • ButtleJR said:
    Big game for me being from Peterborough. Stop JCH and you stop them. Ward overlapping on the right is also a big strength of theirs, need a proper left back really or could be a long day for us. Hope we manage it though...
    He may be from Peterborough but hes been brought up the Charlton way. Lol
  • Think this game just got tougher with Darren Ferguson coming home .. think we will do well to come away with a point .. 
  • SDAddick said:
    JamesSeed said:

Maynard-Brewer
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

Corey at LWB maybe?
    How is he defensively?
  • Southbank said:
    So we discover a potentially great centre back who is brimming with confidence and immediately play him out of position. Is that smart?
    If Sess is out it would be better to go 3 5 2 and bring DJ back as a wingback, he is better at it than CBT or Campbell.
    Not a bad call. I’d forgotten about him almost.  👍
  • No league wins in our last 10 games v Peterborough 
  • In normal circumstances you would take a point away at Peterborough, but with us incredibly unlikely to go down we might as well go for it. I'll go for 1-1 but P'boro miss a late penalty 
  • I agree that Sess is a key player as a band aid trying to fix a gaping wound usually doesn't go well. If not it is a case of have a player who can do the job there, whether that be Ness or O'Connell rather than change formation, at the start at least. I expect us to win if Sess starts. I wasn't that impressed with Posh despite their win at Port Vale, but it will give them confidence which counts for a lot. No reason for us not to be confident though.
  • Left back is a problem we've had all season - and against Ward we need to have someone who is not a stop-gap. For that reason, I'd play Chin (or Bowery) at left w-b and three at the back. Clare on the right w-b an just Fraser and Dobbo in the middle.  I'd also bring back CBT for Campbell.
  • edited January 2023
    I'd play Chin if I wanted to give them free reign to cross the ball in the box. Not sure why I would want that though! Not his fault, he is a young player who is yet to establish himself and not even a left back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Would take a point, we have a poor record against Posh 
  • Expect Ness to look average/poor again as he did at RB, if he is played at LB. 

Can you spot the pattern?!
  • We’re certainly more resilient in recent games but I still can’t see past a defeat in this one and a dose of realism.
  • Tough game, but with the current run and confidence hoping we can knick it 1-2 to the away team! 
  • mendonca said:
    Expect Ness to look average/poor again as he did at RB, if he is played at LB. 

Play O’Conner there then.
  • edited January 2023
    Redrobo said:
    mendonca said:
    Expect Ness to look average/poor again as he did at RB, if he is played at LB. 

Play O’Conner there then.
    CB is such a different role from full back. Would rather see even Jaiyesimi than a CB. Very much hoping Sess will be fit, if not I think we’ll struggle. 
  • edited January 2023
    Stephen Sessegnon* is so important to Cafc.
    Dean Holden had to learn quick and if he had read CL he would never have played a slow Thomas as LCB and Chin as a Left WB against Oxford where Robinson couldn't believe his luck. TBF with Sess yet again struggling to play games in a row someone had to play out of position but Thomas is a reserve player and Chin is young and should only ever play on the right 

Kane coming a cropper on his debut against Barnsley in the first half is just typical of full backs that are cursed at Cafc.

* I know he's not Left footed like his brother Ryan but he can use his left foot which is better that most of our RB's who try to cover on that side over the last few years.