Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Christmas / Birthday cards

Have they had their day?

I spent a fortune this year on cards and stamps, but am beginning to detect they are largely insignificant - particularly amongst the younger generations.  The postal strike hasn't helped of course. The card I sent to my brother and his wife took a whole month to travel between Bexley and Bromley.  I don't begrudge the money particularly, but if they're not appreciated there seems little point.  

I'd be interested to know the general consensus among the CL faithful. 

Comments

• I think they’ll mostly be done within next ten years. WhatsApp and similar are the way people communicate now. I used to send a couple of dozen Christmas cards every year. Got it down to about 10 now. Next year even less I suspect. 
  • I sent a few, maybe 6-7 and received zero. So I think they are probably done. Doesn't seem to be of any importance over here but they do go ott with Mothers/Fathers day and Halloween. 
  • I'm probably going to give up on them. We are still missing a few Xmas cards. (A lot weren't post-marked at all presumably to reduce obvious Royal Mail culpability.)  Although one arrived last week post-marked 14 December!

Mrs cafcfan's birthday is early November and she is still missing two cards posted mid-October from different parts of Northern Ireland. (So my suspicion is there is a tea leaf in some central Belfast sorting depot. Birthday cards stick out like a sore thumb from other post and I guess some errant postie thinks people still stick a tenner in them.) 

You don't really want to be spending maybe a fiver on a card and postage only for it to go missing completely. 

It's likely the striking postal workers will find themselves without a job in a few years. What post there is will be delivered by robot.  https://www.parcelandpostaltechnologyinternational.com/news/last-mile/dpd-to-launch-autonomous-delivery-robots-in-uk.html

People won't put up with a failing, dysfunctional postal system and there are alternatives. It's a real shame. Even just a few years ago we knew by name the couple of posties that delivered to us regularly. They felt like a genuine part of the community. Now it's just some random person we've never seen before.
  • Total waste of money imo.
    I'm in quite a few WhatsApp groups and we all wish one another happy Xmas and birthday on there.
    Other than that a quick phone call does the job.
    Mrs Blackpool donates to shelter every Xmas rather than send out cards.
    I think less people are using cards now than ever. 
  • I made the decisioin this year and went with Jackie Lawson on-line cards. They can be made more personal and at £24 a year is a no brainer. They can be used as links on FB and Whatsapp, have a calendar reminder etc.  Horses for courses.
  • Just send to immediate family and hand deliver them as well. My mum and sister didn’t get theirs until we saw them on Boxing Day. 
  • My wife has a long list, seemingly of everybody he has met, and sends everybody on it a Christmas and Birthday card. I suppose they always feel they had better send one back so our house is full of them at Christmas time.
  • They do seem to be dying out, though I think it will be a shame to lose Christmas cards as it's a nice way of making your house look Christmassy
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    They do seem to be dying out, though I think it will be a shame to lose Christmas cards as it's a nice way of making your house look Christmassy
    Yes - my wife said that too.

I think it is nice to take the time to show people you care enough to bother, without interrupting their day with a phone call, or sending a rather impersonal text to a group of people all at once. Not exactly putting yourself out is it? 

We send cards and donate to charity, being a git I was tempted to put that on social media in response to the "we're donating to charity instead" posts. But I wasn't enough of a git to actually do it (this year...).  ;)     

I do think they will die out as a result of general malaise and the ease of electronic communication.    
    My thoughts exactly when a cousin sent me a WhatsApp and my elderly parents an email instead of a card, with the "donating to charity" message!
  • I made the decisioin this year and went with Jackie Lawson on-line cards. They can be made more personal and at £24 a year is a no brainer. They can be used as links on FB and Whatsapp, have a calendar reminder etc.  Horses for courses.
    On the other hand, I'd rather receive a simple text or FB greeting, than garish jumping in your face crap on-line cards. Hate them.

• The other day I had to gather up my unused stamps and send them off to be replaced by bar coded ones as the old stamps won’t be valid after the end of the month, but stamps with pictures will still be valid.
    I kept my dozen or so Wallace and Gromit second class stamps back.
    Haven’t received replacements yet but the stamps were about 25 quids worth.
    If you have unused old stamps lying around you have about 12 days to do something about it, you can’t do it in person at the post office.
  • seth plum said:
    The other day I had to gather up my unused stamps and send them off to be replaced by bar coded ones as the old stamps won’t be valid after the end of the month, but stamps with pictures will still be valid.
    If you have unused old stamps lying around you have about 12 days to do something about it, you can’t do it in person at the post office.
    I thought it was said there's a 6 month 'amnesty' period to replace your old stamps?

• Yeah. I think that is the replacement window, but you can’t use them so I believe.
  • seth plum said:
    The other day I had to gather up my unused stamps and send them off to be replaced by bar coded ones as the old stamps won’t be valid after the end of the month, but stamps with pictures will still be valid.
    I was going to say that’s (relatively) a lot of cash tied up in stamps in a world where I seem to rarely need to post anything. But given the ridiculous high postage costs these days maybe not ! 🙂
  • You can use the stamps until 31st July. 
    As said, there was a 6 month extension/amnesty agreed that the Post Office is not advertising. 
  • seth plum said:
    Yeah. I think that is the replacement window, but you can’t use them so I believe.
    The extension applies to the replacement and use of non-barcoded stamps until 31st July.

---

I went to the USA in 2000 on a coach trip and at the end of it exchanged details with a few people we'd made friends with and we still send each other Christmas cards.  Same goes for some ex work colleagues.  It's nice to be reminded of the holidays, and to read about what the colleagues have been doing through the year.

• edited January 2023
    https://www.royalmail.com/sending/barcoded-stamps#:~:text=It's fine to keep using,your non-barcoded stamps by.

If you scroll down a bit past the headlines saying you can't use them, it says you can. 
  • Sponsored links:

• My Mum used to send out about 50-55 cards for Christmas and I used to send about 30!
    I also think that cards can be horrendously expensive. My wife picked out a couple of cards this year that were nice, but cost €9.00 a piece! 
    This year I just send out 6 or 7 to my family/very close friends and got 3 back.
    In the future it looks like it  will just be my mum and dad.

• I send cards for Christmas and birthdays, plus other occasions. I always keep cards that I'm sent. It's not going to be the same in the future when I have to scroll up through WhatsApp to reminisce! 
  • As someone said earlier…..I use Jackie Lawson e-cards.
    Simple to use, hundreds of different cards for all kind of events, births, sympathy, birthdays, moving home, good luck, there are dozens of choice’s.
    £25 a year….it’s a no brainer.
    Take a look….you’ll not be disappointed.
  • My Mum used to send out about 50-55 cards for Christmas and I used to send about 30!
    I also think that cards can be horrendously expensive. My wife picked out a couple of cards this year that were nice, but cost €9.00 a piece! 
    This year I just send out 6 or 7 to my family/very close friends and got 3 back.
    In the future it looks like it  will just be my mum and dad.

Boxes of normal Christmas cards are dirt cheap, it's the postage which is expensive now
  • I think they’ll mostly be done within next ten years. WhatsApp and similar are the way people communicate now. I used to send a couple of dozen Christmas cards every year. Got it down to about 10 now. Next year even less I suspect. 
    I only sent about half a dozen but thats mostly because I am such a miserable bastard and everyone hates me.
  • As someone said earlier…..I use Jackie Lawson e-cards.
    Simple to use, hundreds of different cards for all kind of events, births, sympathy, birthdays, moving home, good luck, there are dozens of choice’s.
    £25 a year….it’s a no brainer.
    Take a look….you’ll not be disappointed.
    25 quid a year to send an e-card ?
    To me that is absolute madness
  • Err….you can send as many as you want.
    I feel like I might be getting a whoosh here? 🙄
  • edited January 2023
    Err….you can send as many as you want.
    I feel like I might be getting a whoosh here? 🙄
    Not from me!

Sorry, I’ve kept seeing this gif all over Charlton Life, and it’s taken me nearly 12 years to find it!
  • I Used to send them to people at work , leave them in the Tea room so not posted , i work shift work so i would only see these people one week out of the month , anyway i would come back to work after christmas and most of the cards would still be where i left them , dont bother now .