Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our dog's cancer has returned; we'd appreciate help while considering a drug treatment

Evening all,

The reason I'm asking here is that the drug concerned is not available where we live on the Czech market, and our vet practice therefore does not have hands-on experience with it. So one way or another we'd be procuring it ourselves - and we definitely want to consult widely before going down that route.

Gina is  9 years old, the cancer she has was in the pancreas, back in late summer 2020 the vets operated on her - and to our great surprise and joy, given that in humans that one's a nasty one, after a touch and go week, she pulled through and enjoyed a full and happy couple of years, but recently started to display symptoms that make the vets assume it has returned (low blood sugar level is one indicator). Yet a full scan and a more recent sono, has failed to actually locate a tumour. For that reason (and her age) we are currently reluctant to put her through another op. 

My wife (she is more her dog, down to the history of how we got her and how they've improved each other's health!) found on the web reports from other owners that this drug had been successful in treating dogs with pancreatic cancer. Then when looking for supply sources she came across this British website -which I must say looks pretty solid and respectable to my non-medical eyes. Here is the actual drug. And here is a link to the leaflet, in case any of you with medical knowledge care to take a look. One thing it shows us is we'd need to familiarise ourselves with the contra-indications and side -effects. 

I think that's enough info for now, hopefully some of you will have some insights to offer, for which, once again, we will be very grateful 

Comments

• Sorry no insights or help to offer but good luck in your endeavours and I hope that Gina improves and that you find a long term solution to her problems.
  • edited January 2023
    My wife is a Registered Veterinary Nurse, have just shown her your post, along with the links you've provided - Fraid she's never heard of the drug before... But has said that the Company in question is very reputable... I know as well we do have someone here on CharltonLife who is in the Veterinary Industry, who may be able to offer better advise, frustratingly I cant remember their Username so cant tag them so they get notified of the post.

All the best with this Prague!!
  • I'm sorry you hear this @PragueAddick, my Mrs is in bed as she goes to work at 2.30am. When she gets home tomorrow I'll ask her if she has any advice/knowledge.
  • YorkshireAddick11 is a vet. 
  • YorkshireAddick11 is a vet. 
    @YorkshireAddick11

please see above 

• Sorry to learn of your dogs condition. We have two elderly dogs and they are both on prescription drugs.
    We've used this website for over two years now and have always found them good value with a good service.  Good luck.
  • Evening all,

The reason I'm asking here is that the drug concerned is not available where we live on the Czech market, and our vet practice therefore does not have hands-on experience with it. So one way or another we'd be procuring it ourselves - and we definitely want to consult widely before going down that route.

Gina is  9 years old, the cancer she has was in the pancreas, back in late summer 2020 the vets operated on her - and to our great surprise and joy, given that in humans that one's a nasty one, after a touch and go week, she pulled through and enjoyed a full and happy couple of years, but recently started to display symptoms that make the vets assume it has returned (low blood sugar level is one indicator). Yet a full scan and a more recent sono, has failed to actually locate a tumour. For that reason (and her age) we are currently reluctant to put her through another op. 

My wife (she is more her dog, down to the history of how we got her and how they've improved each other's health!) found on the web reports from other owners that this drug had been successful in treating dogs with pancreatic cancer. Then when looking for supply sources she came across this British website -which I must say looks pretty solid and respectable to my non-medical eyes. Here is the actual drug. And here is a link to the leaflet, in case any of you with medical knowledge care to take a look. One thing it shows us is we'd need to familiarise ourselves with the contra-indications and side -effects. 

I think that's enough info for now, hopefully some of you will have some insights to offer, for which, once again, we will be very grateful 
    You can buy it from Australia for $404 for 30 tablets which is 230GBP which is much better value than 322GBP for 20 tablets https://petchemist.com.au/palladia-50mg-30-tablets
  • Hi Prague, Is she a GSP ?
  • Hi Prague, Is she a GSP ?
    She is, yes. 
  • @PragueAddick your concern care and compassion are evident. I hope it works out.
  • Sponsored links:

• My thoughts are with you all 🙏
  • All the best to you and your extended family member.

SoundAs 
  • All the best, hope she gets through it.
  • We have located a local source for a second opinion. Mate's wife is a vet and actually does have working experience of the drug, and able to source it, so my wife will go see her this evening. That will put us in a better decision to make a good choice. It's chemo,  not something to be administered lightly, so hopefully we will have somebody who can supervise the treatment if we decide to go with it.

Thank you all for your help and thoughts.
    Thoughts with you all - had many a worrying time with our previous dog Scooby in terms of medical issues, but he was a trooper, and defied the vets gloomy outlook time and again, and lived to the grand age of 15 and a half, which for an English Springer Spaniel is an incredible age (over 100 in human terms)
  • hope your dog recovers with the right treatment
  • So sorry to read Gina is having more health issues.
    I hope your second opinion clarifies issues for you & your wife.
    Good luck!
  • Get better soon, Gina!
  • Thinking of you, your wife & dear Gina as you face this issue. 
  • Sponsored links:

• GSP's are a fantastic breed.  She'll repay every penny you spend on her. Best of luck to you all.
  • Wishing Gina well, mate. 
  • I hope the lack of a tumour on the scans is a good sign, but if treatment is needed that it works without trauma for Gina. Best wishes to her and her family.
  • GSP's are a fantastic breed.  She'll repay every penny you spend on her. Best of luck to you all.
    I guess you are an owner, or have been😀. I didnt know anything about them until my wife suddenly introduced me to her as our new dog! My wife is the owner of a small house a little outside Prague, a woman there keeps a lookout for dogs who are abused, usually hunters as was the case with Gina, and nicks them to be rescued.  Unknown to me my wife had dog - sitted Gina there a couple of times, and decided she would be a great dog to keep. But at nearly 5 years old she was very thin, and very scared, particularly of men, so it took a while for her to accept me. She was difficult to take to pubs or restaurants for a couple of years as she would lunge at waiters. I dont like to think of what she had to endure to make her like this, but my wife has done a fantastic job with her, and she has been a pretty normal dog for several years. You’ll know they are very fast and active - so my wife started running wearing a harness to run with her, including in informal competitions with a load of other owners. It looks quite insane to me! But unquestionably my wife’s overall health has improved thanks to all that. Its a great example of mutually beneficial dog-human relationship. 

We have no problem to spend money on her, but she has already had the one operation to remove the tumour, and we ask ourselves if it is fair to her to put her through it again at age of nearly 12 when this time they don’t actually know what they are looking for. I guess this is a dilemma that many many dog (and cat) owners fsce at some stage. 

I’ll try to find the photo of three GSPs posing on Charles Bridge after announcing they had overthrown the President due to his continued foul behaviour. The photo at least is real enough, and I am sure you will enjoy it.
  • Thanks Prague. You're quite correct ,we've had GSP's since 1988 and they've proved great family dogs.
    Really admire anyone who takes in a rescue - so well done. Hate to think how some people treat dogs but thanks to people like you and your wife they can end their days in a loving home. Our two are coming up to 15 in May so have their fair share of old age conditions. We know that we've got a couple of difficult decisions coming up but in the meantime they're two members of our family and we do whatever we need to do so they can enjoy their old age.
    Thanks for sharing Gina's story - at least she's found her loving home.
  • Quite a story of how you came to adopt Gina, Prague. So sad that people could abuse animals to the extent that they are so fearful. Sending very best wishes to all of you for the path ahead.