Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• I suppose the January window will tell us all we need to know about what’s going on behind the scenes. A bad window could easily see us relegated I’m afraid to say. We need significant recruitment to guarantee that won’t happen. Can’t see TS alone sanctioning what’s needed.
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    I know of one player we have been in touch with an its currently with his agent.  We've been monitoring him since the summer.  He's out of contract at the moment and just had a splendid season though current managerial uncertainty probably won't help sway the lad.

My understanding is there IS (well, there was a couple of weeks ago) a little money available for the right players.  Left back and forward are the primary targets
    We missed out on this target sadly.  Don’t suppose the current uncertainty made us an attractive proposition
    Phoenix Patterson? - Just gone to Fleetwood? 
    That’s the one.  I shall be following his progress with interest.  
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    I know of one player we have been in touch with an its currently with his agent.  We've been monitoring him since the summer.  He's out of contract at the moment and just had a splendid season though current managerial uncertainty probably won't help sway the lad.

My understanding is there IS (well, there was a couple of weeks ago) a little money available for the right players.  Left back and forward are the primary targets
    We missed out on this target sadly.  Don’t suppose the current uncertainty made us an attractive proposition
    Hardly surprising we ‘lost out’, we never had a chance. The Fleetwood owner also owns Patterson’s team, Waterford Town, and with two years left on his contract unless someone offered stupid money then it would always be Fleetwood.
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

Hardly surprising we ‘lost out’, we never had a chance. The Fleetwood owner also owns Patterson’s team, Waterford Town, and with two years left on his contract unless someone offered stupid money then it would always be Fleetwood.
    His contract expired at the end of November in line with the Irish season.  
    We enquired but Fleetwood was more appealing
  • Could be for a number of reasons, playing time, contract length etc. Any indication on why he chose Fleetwood @Swisdom?
  • Scoham said:
    Could be for a number of reasons, playing time, contract length etc. Any indication on why he chose Fleetwood @Swisdom?

no idea - may be his wages were too high but I wouldn't have thought so given he was originally a London boy I'd have thought we would have an advantage.  Maybe as simple as we didn't necessarily think he was worth what his demands were.  

As much as he had a fantastic season over there he is still a largely unknown quantity.  

or maybe we enquired and his agent told us to go away as we are a basket case

Still one to watch imo but we need to move on to other targets now
  • Interesting that we’re keeping an eye on the Irish leagues. I see Waterford finished 2nd in the 2nd tier, so despite our position probably still a step up. Hopefully not another Sorba Thomas.
  • Scoham said:
    Interesting that we’re keeping an eye on the Irish leagues. I see Waterford finished 2nd in the 2nd tier, so despite our position probably still a step up. Hopefully not another Sorba Thomas.
    and they are semi-pro as are all the 2nd tier teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

Fleetwood more appealing !!!! that alone says everything anyone needs to know about the club at the moment. We have become a joke and with what is going on at the moment it could get worse
  • AndyG said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

Fleetwood more appealing !!!! that alone says everything anyone needs to know about the club at the moment. We have become a joke and with what is going on at the moment it could get worse
    Not quite.

The owner of Fleetwood also owns Waterford so they had a direct route in to him.  It may well be there was a pre-contract in place.  We won't know for sure except for the fact that any transfer fee to be paid would be negated by Fleetwood

And if he did choose them over us because its a lovely place to live you'd have to question his judgement anyway :-:smile:
  • The area around Fleetwood is ok. It's also a LOT cheaper to live there as well
  • The lack of commentary on this chat shows how much our fans have lost interest.

Very sad that we have come to this.
  • Scoham said:
    Could be for a number of reasons, playing time, contract length etc. Any indication on why he chose Fleetwood @Swisdom?
    Might also be that it's a bloody lot closer to Ireland than SE London. A hop, skip & a jump across the Irish Sea.
  • Scoham said:
    Might also be that it's a bloody lot closer to Ireland than SE London. A hop, skip & a jump across the Irish Sea.
    I thought that but he’s English and moved to Ireland after spending time in Watford and Spurs academies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Patterson
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    I thought that but he’s English and moved to Ireland after spending time in Watford and Spurs academies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Patterson
    Shame that Wassim Aoucharia didnt put in a good word for us
  • I will add my comments on February 1st 🤔😉
  • Tyler Walker is up for transfer or loan and then buy.... not sure if he's any good but a few years ago his name was mentioned a few times.
  • Tyler Walker is up for transfer or loan and then buy.... not sure if he's any good but a few years ago his name was mentioned a few times.
    Looked good for Lincoln a few years ago but seems to have lost his way a bit. I think he'd improve our options but that's not exactly hard to do. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

Waterford's own twitter says it was an undisclosed fee, so he can't have been out of contract.

An Irish newspaper also said this:

Waterford’s link with Fleetwood Town has produced its first player transfer – with Phoenix Patterson moving to English League One for a six-figure sum.

Last season’s First Division Player of the Year had been in demand before and after the Blues’ quest for promotion ended in the playoff final against UCD he has returned to his homeland.

Shamrock Rovers and Derry City, the two leading clubs in Ireland, had enquired about the 22-year-old’s availability but Waterford were in a position of strength given the winger had two years remaining on his contract."

Looked good for Lincoln a few years ago but seems to have lost his way a bit. I think he'd improve our options but that's not exactly hard to do. 
    One of them that look good in league 2 i suppose.
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

Waterford's own twitter says it was an undisclosed fee, so he can't have been out of contract.

An Irish newspaper also said this:

Waterford’s link with Fleetwood Town has produced its first player transfer – with Phoenix Patterson moving to English League One for a six-figure sum.

Last season’s First Division Player of the Year had been in demand before and after the Blues’ quest for promotion ended in the playoff final against UCD he has returned to his homeland.

Shamrock Rovers and Derry City, the two leading clubs in Ireland, had enquired about the 22-year-old’s availability but Waterford were in a position of strength given the winger had two years remaining on his contract."

It will be an inter company transaction and will most likely be £1 in reality.
    his contract status was only available on Transfermarkt which can often be wide of the mark (though contract end dates are usually a bit better).

im looking forward to seeing how he gets on - I think he has a lot of potential 
  • Huge assumption I know but if we do have some reasonable but not crazy money to spend, does anyone have any realistic targets to suggest?
  • I'm hoping I'm wrong here, but Charlton is going to be a tough sell at the moment to a prospective signee. A manager on a six month contract plus the Banjo Bjorn shenanigans may well put players off. Hope I'm 100% wrong though. 

Would be really great to see some decent players arrive and see the deadwood leave. 
  • Given his Notts Forest connections I wonder if a certain Mr Taylor is a loan target?
  • Redrobo said:
    Given his Notts Forest connections I wonder if a certain Mr Taylor is a loan target?
    I think mr Taylor is probably very satisfied at work at the moment, getting paid lots of money to train for a couple of hours a day
  • Redrobo said:
    Given his Notts Forest connections I wonder if a certain Mr Taylor is a loan target?
    Didnt someone post the other day, saying that he's broken his leg?