Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Favours 352 formation .. 
    It’s the best system with this fairly grim group of players .

goalie

Clare, O’Connell, Thomas 

Sessegnon, Fraser, Dobbo, Morgan , CBT

Stockley, Leaburn
    Dream team……..
    Yes I’m far from excited 
  • Options
    Hearing that he wants to tap into Curbs and others knowledge was good to hear.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Shouldn't that be what the directors should be doing? 

Let Holden focus on the team rather than 'what the fanbase needs'. We need a winning team, same as every other fanbase. Isn't rocket science for a manager to figure out. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Let Holden focus on the team rather than 'what the fanbase needs'. We need a winning team, same as every other fanbase. Isn't rocket science for a manager to figure out. 
    I'm sure Holden was talking about the team and what the fanbase demands on the pitch, and what's been missing there. 

No doubt Curbs is a very smart man but I'm sure he could offer more value to a young, emerging football manager than some directors. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    On talk sport in a couple of minutes.
    What did he say?
    He said he'd asked Scott Minto for Alan Curbishley's phone number. He wants to invite him to the training ground and pick his brain about what this club/fanbase needs and what it's been missing. Said he's a terrific resource to tap and that he'd also be asking other ex-Charlton people so he could immerse himself in the club quickly. 

Also said the Charlton community reminds him of Salford where he grew up, in that it's filled with hardworking, good people who love their football. (But our music isn't as good as up there.) Ha!

He mentioned that the feeling around the training ground is quite glum and really needs a lift. Said there will definitely be movement in January with players coming in and others surplus to requirements. He has been watching the team and has an idea of who that is. 

Those are the bits that stuck out for me. He came across well. Authentic, honest northerner.
    Nice summary, thanks. He does seem a genuine bloke at the very least - no mention of contract then?
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Ha ha!!! We've got Dean Holden!! In your face, Premier League Palarse!! Stick it up where the sun don't shine, performing-above-your-stature Millwall!! We're coming to get you, all the other London sides that we've fallen so far behind (yes, I'm talking about you, Brentford!)! Mark the date, boys, the date when the tide turned, the Holden express fired up its engines for the first time, HMS PTL was champagne-launched from its dry dock. Holden is the Baz McCullum of footy, with Jayden Stokesley leading the line. Wingers who learn revolutionary new skills, like crossing a ball! It doesn't matter if Inniss concedes 2 a game, he'll score 4! The days of mediocrity are gone! The sun rises for a new dawn, a red dawn, a new era of glory. You nay-sayers who cry 'cheap option!', 'Skintgaard!', 'he'll be gone in 6 months!'... fools, the lot of you! We have Holden, and soon he'll have a stand named after him. We hear the battle cry! 

How can anyone respond differently?
    The lads apparently didn't realise I was being sarcastic... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    No pressure on Dean then...better not mess up our cup win.
  • Options
    Bet he wishes he’d taken the reigns for tonight’s match now! 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I'm sure Holden was talking about the team and what the fanbase demands on the pitch, and what's been missing there. 

No doubt Curbs is a very smart man but I'm sure he could offer more value to a young, emerging football manager than some directors. 
    I can't imagine what the Charlton fanbase want is any different from what Stoke, Bristol City or any other group of L1 fans want 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    As far as I am concerned Holden is responsible for what happens tonight.
    In his interview he said his appointment has been on the cards for a while, he says he has seen us play a lot, and it has been his decision to load the Brighton pressure on Anthony Hayes shoulders.
    Giving Holden a chance happens tonight, right here right now as Brighton fans might sing.
    I am not interested in Holden having a honeymoon period however unreasonable that might seem, all the club have to do to calm things is to knock a fine premier league club out of the cup this evening.
    Otherwise Holden is in deficit with me.
    Who you giving credit to for tonight’s win then Seth? 😉 
    Holden  :D
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I can't imagine what the Charlton fanbase want is any different from what Stoke, Bristol City or any other group of L1 fans want 
    I must admit I'm quite miffed at these replies and people taking issue with Holden wanting to meet Curbs! 
    I agree, very strange. Especially as so many wanted Curbs to be DOF.
  • Options
    No excuse available for him now after tonight's performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:

He came across well. Authentic, honest northerner.
    And what have the northerners ever done for us?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    LoOkOuT said:
    Chunes said:

Coal? They gave us coal.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Chunes said:

Took us from the 3 Div to the 1st & Two FA cup finals (not including the war finals) winning the cup once.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    He was in the Oak last night
    Did he play a Ekulele.
  • Options
    Is it just me that finds it quite insulting towards Andy Scott that we've only given him a 6 week deal?

Fair play to him for accepting as if i had his level of experience and a bottom half league one club offered me 6 weeks i'd have told them to piss off.

I'd be interested to see under what terms it can/might be extended. Given he's only here for the January transfer window, he can surely only be as successful as the budget allows him to be.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Is it just me that finds it quite insulting towards Andy Scott that we've only given him a 6 week deal?

Fair play to him for accepting as if i had his level of experience and a bottom half league one club offered me 6 weeks i'd have told them to piss off.

I'd be interested to see under what terms it can/might be extended. Given he's only here for the January transfer window, he can surely only be as successful as the budget allows him to be.
    Yes, it's why I personally think there's something going on.

If all these people were signed up until end of season, with a big bonus for keeping us up, that's one thing, but just until the end of the transfer window? Unless he's been offered a ridiculous amount for that time