Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garner Gawn? (Ed. CORRECT - GARNER SACKED p6, and again by Colchester p32)

Comments

• Options
    I assume that if new manager will not be appointed in weeks, it means, if we are doing any transfers, in and out, it means it will be decided by TS, MS and Gallen and new manager or coach, will have to accept the players he has got 😠🤔
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Southbank said:
    At the CAST Zoom tonight, it was stated by Lauren on behalf of the Fans' Reps who had spoken with TS earlier, that it would likely be weeks before a new manager would be appointed. 
    If there is any substance to the take over talks there would be no point appointing a new manager, or any new manager taking  the job, without support from the new owners.
    Depends what you mean by substance. There has been substance to any number of takeovers that didn’t proceed in recent years. It would have been foolish to stay decisions waiting for them.

I would question why Sandgaard told the fan advisers an appointment would be likely to take “weeks”. Other things being equal, you’d want someone new in by next week, at the latest.
    It would make no sense to sack Garner and then do nothing for several weeks. We don't have a club "legend" who'd served his time as assistant in place to take over. 

Besides the January transfer window will soon be here, we need the new manager for that, as even if we aren't splashing the cash, there still will be movement, such as with loan players.

Quite, the fool has sliced through them in no time..
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    At the CAST Zoom tonight, it was stated by Lauren on behalf of the Fans' Reps who had spoken with TS earlier, that it would likely be weeks before a new manager would be appointed. 
    If there is any substance to the take over talks there would be no point appointing a new manager, or any new manager taking  the job, without support from the new owners.
    Depends what you mean by substance. There has been substance to any number of takeovers that didn’t proceed in recent years. It would have been foolish to stay decisions waiting for them.

I would question why Sandgaard told the fan advisers an appointment would be likely to take “weeks”. Other things being equal, you’d want someone new in by next week, at the latest.
    Which is why it feels as if he is playing for time, hoping it will become somebody else's problem. The most likely reult of this appoach would be eventually, a nonentity manager appointed in haste ( or continuation with Hayes) with no say in recruitment, as it would be too late. I am guessing that Garner's exit was because he would not have tolerated another no signing window. This way, at least Sangaard does not have a manager making critical comments in public.

Or, we have new owners and the cycle begins again.
  • Options
    With no permanent manager in place and us currently sitting in the bottom 3rd of Division 3, who on earth is going to want to sign for us in January
    Jesus, TS is such a fcuking wnaker........
  • Options
    Personally don't think whether theres a permanent manager appointed or not has any bearing on a take-over. It would fo normally, but not on this occasion for me
  • Options
    Ali Maxwell not being invited back onto Charlton TV any time soon you'd think!
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/fans-forum-notes-december-2022

On pitch

"He said in terms of sorting it out on the pitch the club had begun looking to interview candidates when Ben Garner started a public discussion about whether he was backed or not. He said when Garner started the public discussion at that time he crossed a line that, nearly regardless of results, meant he had to go soon after. He said that at that time he set in motion that we needed to replace him. He said that Garner was maybe a little bit immature, getting yellow and red cards on the sidelines and being at the training ground you kind of learn when someone loses the dressing room and that was a perception he had. He said on top of that results were not going Charlton’s way, which was very disappointing"

Might get through quite a few more managers yet...

There's more, linky above for those interested and might have missed it. Basically, Garner shouldn't have gone to the press with lies and slander, but he wasn't just sacked because of that. Or something.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    One thought I did have after Wednesdays brilliant win and the plumb draw of United away, Garner was the first manager we’ve had in yonks that took the cups seriously. There are fairly few positives to take from his time with us, not all of that’s his fault, but he should get some of the credit for us getting to the quarters of the League Cup. 
    Fair comment Garner was trying to make headway in the cups and does deserve credit for taking them serious by putting as strong a team out as he could. 
  • Options
    A decent job for him, as Bloomfield had turned it around before returning to Wycombe
  • Options
    I see the usual gobshites already in the replies
  • Options
    Didnt really rate him tbh but wish him no ill will as I felt he put alot into it, hope he does well there.
  • Options
    Interesting to see if he’s as popular amongst the players as he was here or at Swindon.  They are still in a fight but I have always had a soft spot for them as I used to live nearby so I’ll monitor it
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    ?????
  • Options
    Always a dangerous thing to say that you’re speaking for everyone else but on this occasion I think I’d be right in saying that ‘we all’ wish him well, he wasn’t a disliked person.
    Came across as totally up confident in his own ability with little to back it up,always blaming officials and rumours of not being respected by training ground staff due to his attitude towards them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    ?????
    See above
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Ben was let down by poor recruitment, as have all our managers been. He started the season with Clayden as his left-back! Not sure Holden is doing much better. Garner seems like a good coach to me, although I hazard to say he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. The constant public sniping at the ownership may have been true but couldn't have helped the focus and attitude of the players, plus his thing with referees and his famous sending-off antics at The Valley adds up... He's a bit of an oddball. 
  • Options
    Good luck to him. Yes the defence d*cked around with the ball a bit too much under his watch, but did feel he was building something and also sensed a bit of defiance with the regime, which I liked very much.
  • Options
    Good luck to him. Yes the defence d*cked around with the ball a bit too much under his watch, but did feel he was building something and also sensed a bit of defiance with the regime, which I liked very much.
    The defence were only following the instructions given by the coaching staff. Get the best of what you have with the players you have. If they can’t do it, then don’t try it. 

All the best to him in Essex. Now on his 4th managerial role so plenty of lessons learnt from his other recent roles. 
  • Options
    I wasn't very impressed with him. But I wish him no ill will and like most who leave Charlton maybe he'll prove us it was a mistake to let him go 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I liked him, was building us into a good footballing side, we just didn't have a striker to capitalise on the many many opportunities. That and the defenders weren't quite up to scratch. 

He deserved a full season. 
    Deserved it but unfortunately with our ownership would never have got all the pieces he needed to make a good squad. 

Outside of 4 games I can't say we've particularly improved as a team.