Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

With the release of next season's fixtures in the last few minutes, it seems an opportune moment to start a new thread. Full details are below but it is disappointing to read that there is no return to a Tunbridge Wells week and in all honesty there has to be an element of doubt as to whether there ever will be another one given how stretched, financially, councils are:

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/kent-mens-2023-domestic-schedule-revealed/

Comments

• CC 14 matches:

April - 4
    May - 2
    June - 2
    July - 3
    August - 0
    September - 3 

Blast - 14 games between 24th May and 2nd July

One Day Cup (as it is known now given the Royal London have stopped sponsoring) - 8 games between 1st and 22nd August

Obviously, the above dates do not include any knock out matches we might be involved in
  • Really disappointing to again have no Tunbridge Wells week. 

According to the BBC fixture list, the Blast games at Canterbury are at 18:30 rather than 19:00, which is good news if true, as it'll make the rush for the last train back to London far more relaxing!
  • Not only has Tunbridge Wells not got any games, Beckenham have just 2 One day cup games, no CC or Blast. Doubt if it will be worth me getting any sort of membership this year. 
  • redman said:
    Not only has Tunbridge Wells not got any games, Beckenham have just 2 One day cup games, no CC or Blast. Doubt if it will be worth me getting any sort of membership this year. 
    This is very disappointing. I can't help thinking that resources are being directed to the main ground with Beckenham seen as the 2nd XI home. The other aspect is that with the majority of games being held at the one ground, there will be more incentive for people at that end of the county, to take out season tickets especially as the two matches that are at Beckenham are for the second class One Day Cup comp.
  • edited November 2022
    redman said:
    Not only has Tunbridge Wells not got any games, Beckenham have just 2 One day cup games, no CC or Blast. Doubt if it will be worth me getting any sort of membership this year. 
    This is very disappointing. I can't help thinking that resources are being directed to the main ground with Beckenham seen as the 2nd XI home. The other aspect is that with the majority of games being held at the one ground, there will be more incentive for people at that end of the county, to take out season tickets especially as the two matches that are at Beckenham are for the second class One Day Cup comp.
    The problem being for Kent, being that the main ground isn't in the main population area of the county.

Nearly all other cricket  counties are based in much larger towns and cities, so can rely on the local population for their support. It's not as if Canterbury dominates the wider Kent cricket scene either.
  • redman said:
    The problem being for Kent, being that the main ground isn't in the main population area of the county.

Nearly all other cricket  counties are based in much larger towns and cities, so can rely on the local population for their support. It's not as if Canterbury dominates the wider Kent cricket scene either.
    Canterbury has a capacity of 15,000 whereas Beckenham's is only 10,000 so the former only has to be two thirds full to match the latter and with more members coming from that end of the county they will, overall, produce more revenue especially if at capacity. Neither venue is ever going to match the likes of Lord's, The Oval, Edgbaston or the Test hosting grounds so the need for the ground to be in a big town or City isn't there. We can't build on Beckenham either. 
  • redman said:

Canterbury has a capacity of 15,000 whereas Beckenham's is only 10,000 so the former only has to be two thirds full to match the latter and with more members coming from that end of the county they will, overall, produce more revenue especially if at capacity. Neither venue is ever going to match the likes of Lord's, The Oval, Edgbaston or the Test hosting grounds so the need for the ground to be in a big town or City isn't there. We can't build on Beckenham either. 
    I was talking more historically.

Kent's county town is Maidstone, the largest population area is the Medway Towns, while there is the large historic London/Kent area as well. If the county ground has been in Rochester or Maidstone or even on Blackheath, then most the members would have lived nearer where the county ground was, rather than Canterbury.

If Kent's  major ground has been within the London area, and Surrey's in Guildford, then we would probably have had the second London Test ground!
  • So based on population distribution throughout the county, we should be building a new 20,000 country ground at Beechen Hall :)
  • redman said:

I was talking more historically.

Kent's county town is Maidstone, the largest population area is the Medway Towns, while there is the large historic London/Kent area as well. If the county ground has been in Rochester or Maidstone or even on Blackheath, then most the members would have lived nearer where the county ground was, rather than Canterbury.

If Kent's  major ground has been within the London area, and Surrey's in Guildford, then we would probably have had the second London Test ground!
    Indeed we would. Of course, Kent used to take the game to the people and in addition to Canterbury, Beckenham and Tunbridge Wells, I've seen them play at Maidstone, Blackheath,  Dartford, Gillingham, Gravesend and Folkestone but never got to Dover. Times have sadly changed even to the extent that we didn't even have a proper Canterbury week last season.
  • There were rumours, even before Paul Farbrace resigned at Warwickshire, that he was desperate to move back nearer home. Had we not had that late resurgence in the RL and CC then Matt Walker might well have been sacked and Farbrace would, undoubtedly, have been a leading candidate to replace him. I suspect that this is where the rumour that the other Ollie Robinson (his stepson) would be joining Kent originated from.

Well they are both now going to be at Sussex because Farbrace has just been appointed Head Coach there.  
  • Sponsored links:

• That’s a shame, was excited by potentially seeing him play here ! Still feel we are light on bowlers which no doubt the club are aware about. 
  • Kane Richardson is a signing and a half for us. Have watched him for years in the Big Bash and it is safe to say that not only is he a quality bowler who can open and bowl at the death but he is the type of player who gets under the skin of the opposition. The fact that he will be available for the duration of the competition makes him an even better acquisition.

It would be great if we managed to get Qais Ahmed as well as Richardson because with the likes of Klaassen, Hogan, Stewart, Quinn, Gilchrist, Denly and even Linde (who actually did OK with both bat and ball in The Blast even if he was rather poor in the CC) we have a more than decent bowling group to pick from for that form of the game. 
  • Billings, playing for the Heat today made 6 off 10 balls before he chipped one and was caught in the deep off Russell

Kane Richardson had figures of 4-0-30-0 for the Renegades but had two catches (admittedly difficult chances) dropped in two balls when bowling at the death.

Seb played with Akeal Hossein's brother last season and is hoping to meet up with Hossein when he comes to Adelaide. If we don't manage to re-sign Qais Ahmad then Hossein would be a superb replacement. His figures today for the Renegades were 4-0-15-3 (opened the bowling and got both openers out in the P/P) and his lifetime average spell in T20s is 1-26 off 4 overs. 
  • Just watched Billo smash 26 off a Peter Siddle over. Most enjoyable. 
  • CHG said:
    Just watched Billo smash 26 off a Peter Siddle over. Most enjoyable. 
    He was dropped off a sitter before that to rub salt in the wounds!
  • Ben Compton signs a new contract 'til the end of 2024 at least

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/compton-signs-kent-contract-extension/

• Ben Compton signs a new contract 'til the end of 2024 at least

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/compton-signs-kent-contract-extension/

Good news, strange day to announce it!
  • Test and ODI Squads have been announced for the England Lions Tour of Sri Lanka.  No surprise that Cox is in the ODI squad but it is interesting that Gilchrist has been called up for the Test squad. Really weird to see Robinson (Durham) though not from the perspective that he isn't on England's radar but more from the aspect that he isn't representing Kent!

Test Squad 

Tom Abell (Somerset), Josh Bohannon (Lancashire), Jack Carson (Sussex), Sam Cook (Essex), Matt Fisher (Yorkshire), Nathan Gilchrist (Kent), Tom Haines (Sussex), Haseeb Hameed (Nottinghamshire), Tom Hartley (Lancashire), Jack Haynes (Worcestershire), Lyndon James (Nottinghamshire), Alex Lees (Durham), Liam Patterson-White (Nottinghamshire), Ollie Robinson (Durham), Jamie Smith (Surrey), Josh Tongue (Worcestershire).

ODI Squad 

Tom Abell (Somerset), Tom Banton (Somerset), Jacob Bethell (Warwickshire), Brydon Carse (Durham), Sam Cook (Essex), Jordan Cox (Kent), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Matt Critchley (Essex), Matt Fisher (Yorkshire), Sam Hain (Warwickshire), Tom Hartley (Lancashire), Tom Lammonby (Somerset), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Tom Prest (Hampshire), James Rew (Somerset), Luke Wood (Lancashire

• The chances of someone like Hameed playing Test cricket in the Bazball era seem pretty remote!
  • Sponsored links:

• The chances of someone like Hameed playing Test cricket in the Bazball era seem pretty remote!
    I agree but there is a chance that we might have to adapt that way of playing in the sense that we might need someone to stay there and just blunt the very best of attacks - I would love it to happen but I am concerned that if we blindly go into "see ball/hit ball" mode against the Aussies we will play into their hands. The other thing is that Hameed might be able to adapt his game and by that I don't mean that he suddenly becomes a hitter but that he learns to rotate the strike more than he currently does so he does get the aggressor on strike more often than not.
  • Zak made 54* in 28 balls in his Big Bash debut today with the Hobart Hurricanes
  • Zak made 54* in 28 balls in his Big Bash debut today with the Hobart Hurricanes
    I can't recall so many players in one T20 getting 50s - 5 so far and another, Tim David, ended up 39* off 20. In reply to the Hurricanes 229-4, the Strikers are 154-2 off 14
  • Crawley fielded well on the boundary too but, even that, wasn't enough to stop the Strikers ending up with 230-3 off 19.3 overs (Short 100* off 59)- the highest ever chase in the history of the Big Bash.
  • Jas Singh has just returned figures of 19.1-6-54-6 playing for his club in Adelaide out of an opposition score of 306-9 declared. He took 3 wickets in his first two overs (all ducks) including that of Joe Gatting 
  • edited January 2023
    Zak Crawley out for 13 off 11 for the Hurricanes - caught off the bowling of Kent recruit Kane Richardson who returned figures of 4-0-22-2. Richardson now has figures in this season's BBL of 31.5-0-204-8 from 8 matches so an average of a wicket a game with an E/R of 6.40
  • Quite bizarre that Beckenham’s overseas from last season, David Moody, had figures of 4-0-16-3 in the Big Bash for Melbourne Renegades on Christmas Eve...

... and hasn’t played another game! 

Haven’t seen anything re: an injury.
  • Quite bizarre that Beckenham’s overseas from last season, David Moody, had figures of 4-0-16-3 in the Big Bash for Melbourne Renegades on Christmas Eve...

... and hasn’t played another game! 

Haven’t seen anything re: an injury.
    It is especially as they lost Russell after four matches. Moody bowled really well that day, hit 90mph and sent down a couple of peaches to dismiss two of those batsmen. I think it is just the fact that they can't fit him in as the Renegades tend to now go in with just the five bowlers - the two spinners, Hosein (13 wickets) and Mujeeb (8) and three seamers namely Richardson (8), Rogers (17) and Sutherland (6) who doubles as the all rounder in batting at 6. Save a solitary over from the now injured Maddinson, the only two others to have bowled are Russell and Moody and the match that Moody played in was the only one that Richardson has missed. 

• Gilchrist extends his contract until at least the end of 2024
  • Gilchrist extends his contract until at least the end of 2024
    Gilchrist is one of a number of players with contracts ending at the end of this season and one can't help thinking that his call up last week to the Lions prompted Kent to do something rather quickly in order to secure his services beyond that.