Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Does your family have a signature whistle?

Ours originated in the early 1950s on the crowded narrow streets of Algiers.
It then went on to be regularly used at a northern Negev Kibbutz for about 50 years.
Migrated for countless usages at London and Perth W Australia pubs/shopping centers.
Last recorded use at the Valley was in November 2018.
Still the best discrete way to fish out a family member from even the noisiest of crowds as long as the whistle pitch is high enough.

Hopefully the link underneath will work to give a demo of our swift little hooker 🎶

So... put your lips together.

I am sure there are some surviving whistlers amongst our Lifers, I'd love to listen to a few...

on #SoundCloud

Comments

• Loudest, clearest whistler I can recall was Mick the Baker who delivered bread from his electric float to the Downham estate in the 60s. 

You could hear him coming from miles away.  I s'pose the housewives could get ready before he knocked ... or hide on pay day.

(May as well provide my own KW).

• As Charlton supporters, I assumed it would be train whistles 
  • We do, and have always been able to call our kids (and dogs) in the most crowded of places. I often get strange looks when using it, and have often wondered if anyone else did the same...
  • We do, and have always been able to call our kids (and dogs) in the most crowded of places. I often get strange looks when using it, and have often wondered if anyone else did the same...
    Would be great to listen to it if you could link an audio sample.

Pleeese 🙏🙏
  • edited November 2022
    Yep, three generations* have done the same whistle when they walk in the door as a way of saying 'I'm home'. Ours is a three-note riff with a bit of portmanteau thrown in. I guess it's very much like the traditional wolf whistle but sounds softer because it's done with pursed lips.

Annoyingly, I've never been able to wolf whistle though. Learning that is possibly the longest standing thing on my bucket list, but despite numerous attempts it never happened. 

*Edit - at least three. I don't know if it existed before my dad.
  • my maternal granddad was a great whistler and singer, my mum also had a good singing voice, alas, neither talent was passed down to me though I do like a song shout out in the shower
  • The one where Sid James hands a Sausage Roll to Joan Sims in Carry on Abroad 
  • We do, but we don't do it with our mouths...
  • I knew this was going to be a @LennyLowrent thread as soon as i saw the title.

I feel i need a family whistle, sadly i cannot whistle though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don’t try and rehash the Pinocchio outfits/masks at one of the demonstrations - Give a little whistle!
  • Yes, could only be this poster.

For reference our family whistle was nicked by Robbie Williams for his song "Go Gentle".

Currently suing him for copyright.
  • Yes, could only be this poster.

For reference our family whistle was nicked by Robbie Williams for his song "Go Gentle".

Currently suing him for copyright.
    Sample..?
    Notation..?
  • Yep, we have a family whistle that never fails to get the attention of the whole family when they hear it. 

Especially funny when you do it then hide behind a tree while the old man is looking around trying to see where it came from!
  • edited November 2022
    Off_it said:
    Yep, we have a family whistle that never fails to get the attention of the whole family when they hear it. 

Especially funny when you do it then hide behind a tree while the old man is looking around trying to see where it came from!
    In our Kibbutz there was a colourful old Lady who memorized most of the local whistles.
    She used to sit every afternoon on her permanent prime positioned bench, taking great pleasure at our bewilderment following her sneaky tweets.
  • Yep, originated from my Grandad's days on the docks
  • I opened this thread thinking it would be about suits
  • Handy whistling language if your mate is in the off licence on the next mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l117wfB0g3o
  • Three button single breasted, centre vent and flat front trousers.