Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wholesale changes needed…again

We’re only 6 points off the play-offs, and there’s a lot of football to be played, but unless TS has a visit from a footballing prophet informing him that investment in Jan will lead to promotion, I think we’ve seen enough to know we’re not getting out of this league again this season.  Which means we need yet another round of wholesale changes to make an impact in the summer.  Crazy really.  Same story playing out for the 3rd season in a row by the looks of things.

For me, I’d be jettisoning the following.

MacGivillary - I don’t dislike him, but it’s clear he’s second fiddle to Wollacott and he probably has eyes on being a starter.  For both parties it’s best to part ways.

Stockley - atrocious.  Contracted until summer 2024 unfortunately.  His return this season is pathetic and he’ll be lucky to land a role with a League one club.  League 2 is his level.

Lavelle - Not worked out for him.  League One is above his ability and like Stockley, a league 2 footballer 

Morgan - no more goes, no more tickets to the show.  We’ve seen enough to know his future lies elsewhere 

JFC - had he not had the 2 injuries this might be a different story for some and how they feel about him, but like MacGilllvary, best for both parties if time is called sooner rather than later

Kirk - I think he’s showed more this season, but we know he’s not someone getting you promoted 

Mansfield - he’s injured at the moment, so a bit unfair to dig him out, but he was on the cusp of a loan move there on deadline day.  That says it all.

McGrandles - oh dear.  A shame to write him off so soon, but he’s been so poor since he’s been here and barring a miraculous turnaround, it’s going nowhere 

Payne - tries hard, looks neat and tidy every 3/4 games, but he’s not going to get us out this league.  

Inniss - recovered well since the sending off at AFC last season, but can you rely on him from a discipline perspective, and is he good enough to play alongside another CB as a promotion pairing.

We’ve then got Dobson, CBT and Clare out of contract, Aneke can’t be relied on for fitness and you have O’Connell and Egbo.  

Egbo looks okay, CBT isn’t consistent enough and O’Connell was finding a bit of form prior to the injury.  

Dobson and Clare are tough to call because Dobson could probably get a move away and Clare has been good over his time here, but seems to be playing a little off the standard he was last season.

basically, it’s another complete overhaul imo.  I can’t see any other way, yet again 

Comments

• Interesting that all of those names have been with us for multiple seasons other than Payne and McGrandles. 

The problem is that we didn't move the deadwood on in the summer like I'm sure TS promised Garner. 
  • Interesting that all of those names have been with us for multiple seasons other than Payne and McGrandles. 

The problem is that we didn't move the deadwood on in the summer like I'm sure TS promised Garner. 
    Agreed.  We didn’t cut hard enough.  It was great to see Gunter, Matthews, Pearce etc let go, but ultimately, we still had too many mediocre players and yet again, if next season is to be any different, big changes are needed again.  It’s Groundhog Day 
  • Option of another year for Dobbo so you’d imagine we’d trigger that.
  • I think it's just the two and the flavour of the mix changes- Stockley and lavelle. Shift them on for someone who can hold the ball up front and really play out from the back and we have a panoply of options and a chance to play football to a professional standard, all other things considered.
  • Who is Mansfield!
  • Who is Mansfield!
    DJ because he nearly went there on deadline day 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Who is Mansfield!
    To be fair if he was a new signing, it's apt that he'd already be on the treatment table. 

• Who is Mansfield!
    Jane
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Who is Mansfield!
    Correct 
  • Sponsored links:

• I know it's a commonly used expression, but I don't think 'deadwood' is quite the right expression and using it gives the wrong emphasis on what we should be doing. As professional footballers none of them are dead- each and everyone of them could do a job for us in an emergency. The trouble is we don't have enough talent in the squad, so it's an emergency situation practically every week. If these players really were 'deadwood' we'd be looking to axe them without replacements. What we need is a careful plan of investing in the squad and then releasing those players whose positions are well covered by more talented, fitter, harder-working, less injury-prone alternatives. I agree that most on Cabbles' list would be prime candidates for replacement, but I wouldn't want to see any of them cat out before suitable alternatives are drafted.
  • edited November 2022
    Strange how we constantly need to keep changing the players, because they're largely not good enough, or cant last 90mins

For a few years it was the fault of whoever the Manager was - Perhaps its neither, and the fact that we're scrimping on backroom staff... Players after all shouldn't be running on fumes four months into a season, so suggests a larger issue at play.

I'm probably doing 2+2 and getting five as a result - But we made such a fanfare about meeting the building requirements to be a Category One Academy, yet did we meet club requirements for having the correct amount of staff in place? 
  • Who is Mansfield!
    Was on Radio Thamesmead on a Sunday night
  • shirty5 said:
    Who is Mansfield!
    Was on Radio Thamesmead on a Sunday night
    Ah, those were the days !
  • edited November 2022
    Strange how we constantly need to keep changing the players, because they're largely not good enough, or cant last 90mins

For a few years it was the fault of whoever the Manager was - Perhaps its neither, and the fact that we're scrimping on backroom staff... Players after all shouldn't be running on fumes four months into a season, so suggests a larger issue at play.

I'm probably doing 2+2 and getting five as a result - But we made such a fanfare about meeting the building requirements to be a Category One Academy, yet did we meet club requirements for having the correct amount of staff in place? 
    From what I heard sandgaard decided that we didn't need the required amount of coaches, how true that is I don't know but nothing would surprise me with this idiot.
  • The list is probably the one that everyone would pick but beware, TS dumped Washington and stated that he wanted someone who was more dynamic than Washington, then promptly went and didn't sign Washington's dynamic replacement. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    You don't need 15 or 20 top league 1 players to get promoted.  You need 7 or 8 and then another 7 or 8 that can do a job.

We have 3 or 4 and than 7 or 8 that can do a job.

We need the other 4 or 5 and the rest you can pick from.  No point having a mass clear out of you don't replace them with better.  Oh to have Washington amd Purrington this season.
    Would either Washington or Purrington be making much of a difference though?  Washington would certainly be more effective than Stockley granted, and Purrington would be a natural left footer that we’ve missed at left back all season, but I think we’d be selling ourselves short to think they are the answer.

For me, those two would’ve been good to keep on had we got better in than them, not we should’ve kept them and what we have around them would’ve been the back up 
  • Sessegnon is a massive upgrade on Purrington at least 
  • Leuth said:
    Sessegnon is a massive upgrade on Purrington at least 
    We might have got 3 or 4 more points when Sessegnon wasn't avaliable though.  That's my point we replaced Washington and Purrington with absolutely no one and are worse for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Sessegnon is a massive upgrade on Purrington at least 
    We might have got 3 or 4 more points when Sessegnon wasn't avaliable though.  That's my point we replaced Washington and Purrington with absolutely no one and are worse for it.
    Exactly. We’ve used Clare, Clayden and Chin at left back this season, criminal.