Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Weekend visit to northern France

I am planning a weekend away in June next year with some friends and wondered whether any of you fellow lifers have any recommendations for places to visit in northern France.
I am looking for somewhere relaxing that has places of interest that can be explored leisurely as one of our group has limited mobility.
If it's near the coast as well then that would be ideal.
I will be driving so ideally it will be within a couple of hours of Calais.
Thank you.

Comments

• Not on the coast but Arras is a nice place. Decent selection of bars and places to eat, plus Vimy Ridge is only up the road. There’s also the caves used in WW1 to visit and the Arras Memorial.
  • @SE7toSG3 I’m sure will be able to give some pointers.
  • Had a very nice weekend in Ostend a few years ago. Ferry to Calais and then a drive up the coast in a little over an hour. Nice seafront with some good restaurants and a tram service that runs along the coast in each direction for 40 odd miles to other seaside towns. Bruges and also Ypres less than an hour away. Even had a small street with sofa shops and a live lady inviting you in to try them out!
  • Seine Maritime is a region that might suit.
  • A bit away from the coast but an easy drive from Calais is Amiens. A beautiful central square with France's biggest cathedral, plenty of bars and very good restaurants, scenic and with lots of WW1 and WW2 history. I spent 6 weeks there for work and would very happily return.            
  • Le Touquet is a nice little port town, well worth a visit.
  • Weekend in Northern France.
    Its Le-Crotoy for me.
    Often visit the coastal town with bars restaurants and a very nice beach.
    Come out of Dunkirk or if your using the Calais tunnel and turn right, about 60 miles down the coast.
  • Weekend in Northern France.
    Its Le-Crotoy for me.
    Often visit the coastal town with bars restaurants and a very nice beach.
    Come out of Dunkirk or if your using the Calais tunnel and turn right, about 60 miles down the coast.
    Forgot also to mention a little train goes sometimes during the year from Le-Crotoy round the bay to Saint-Varery -sur-Somme. Another little town popular with tourists.
    William the conqueror sailed from here with his fleet on the way to invade England.  
  • edited November 2022
    Another vote for Le Touquet. A little town nearby is good too. Montreuil-sur-Mer, which, bizarrely, is nowhere near the sea. 

Alternatively, cross another border and drive to Bruges (about 1hr 20 minutes from Calais).
  • Hornfleur but it might be a bit too far away at 2 hours 45.
  • Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:
    A bit away from the coast but an easy drive from Calais is Amiens. A beautiful central square with France's biggest cathedral, plenty of bars and very good restaurants, scenic and with lots of WW1 and WW2 history. I spent 6 weeks there for work and would very happily return.            
    Amiens is a good shout. 
    I spent a week there and used it as a base for visiting various WW1 sights.
    It's a lovely place. 
  • Got to be a couple of nights at hotel Atlantique in Wimereux near Boulogne with Saturday evening in their excellent restaurant, which recently got its first Michelin Star!).
  • Wissant has a very nice beachfront/promenade and a small selection of very nice restaurants.
    If you arrive back early before your departure Calais beachfront is also very nice (even better for young children) and they have launched a few new bars on the beech such as Le Groove and La plage Calais bar/restuarant. There is also a dragon ride if thats your thing https://www.compagniedudragon.com/en 

• interested in this, as planning a week or so away in the summer holidays. If that rules anywhere out on the grounds that they will be rammed, I'd be interested too!
  • Spent many a happy holiday in Wissant, Berck both on coast as well as Desvres (inland.  Stella Plage (as its name suggests) has a lovely beach too.  All within easy distance. 
  • cafcfan said:
    Another vote for Le Touquet. A little town nearby is good too. Montreuil-sur-Mer, which, bizarrely, is nowhere near the sea. 

Alternatively, cross another border and drive to Bruges (about 1hr 20 minutes from Calais).
    These are all great suggestions. 
  • Bruges is always the right answer
  • Bruges is always the right answer
    Apart from the fact that it’s in Belgium and not Northern France 😉
  • Thanks everyone that is much appreciated. 
    We have a trip every year so it looks as though I am spoilt for choices for the next decade.
  • If you’re going to Northern France in June go around DDay 6th June. It’s my fav place to visit over any place anywhere. All the living historians driving round in jeeps, tanks etc. loads of the locals in period dress, it’s the nearest you’ll get to going back in time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Had a very nice weekend in Ostend a few years ago. Ferry to Calais and then a drive up the coast in a little over an hour. Nice seafront with some good restaurants and a tram service that runs along the coast in each direction for 40 odd miles to other seaside towns. Bruges and also Ypres less than an hour away. Even had a small street with sofa shops and a live lady inviting you in to try them out!
    Shouldn't this be on the innuendo thread?
  • Vannes is meant to be nice. North west France I believe 
    Shouldn't this be on the innuendo thread?
    Not an innuendo. They were for real. Really warm in the shops as they were sitting in their underwear as well. Don't get that in DFS!.