Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Port Vale vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 19th November 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Port Vale vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 19th November 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Samuel Barrott

Introduction
We're on the eve of a historic competition out in the Middle East, whilst minor tournaments get set to kick off, its easy to forget that there are more important and pressing games to worry about here on our own shores - The World Cup will set new ground this coming Sunday, with the first ever winter version set to commence - However the show goes on in League One, the Addicks on the road once again this Saturday, with back to back trips to Staffordshire... and a venue that'll have painful memories for Ben Garner.

The Opposition
Name: Port Vale (15th) | Manager: Darrell Clarke
Ground: Vale Park
Previous Result: Oxford United 4-0 Port Vale

League Two saw one of the most exciting finishes to a league campaign ever at the end of last season, I can guarantee there will be more mention of that in a couple of weeks - Yet the race for the Play-Offs was equally exciting (for those not involved), with any one of three sides at risk of missing the end of season lottery... Port Vale with the hardest task, having to travel to Exeter City (who themselves were looking to win the league) - We all know how the story ended of course, the Valiants are back in League One... However that journey saw them defeating Ben Garner's Swindon Town in dramatic fashion on penalties, and so book a trip to Wembley.

In all honesty, looking at all four teams that finished in the Play-Offs, and you'd argue that all four would end up struggling at this level - Its not been the case for Darrell Clarke and his team, so far putting in a display which has the Valiants respectfully in mid-table - Like most venues Vale Park has been a bit of a fortress this season, with the home side losing on just four occasions - Its certainly been a whirlwind in 2022 for Darrell Clarke, and not always in a good way, after having to take a leave of absence from the game in February (only returning in May) due to a family bereavement.

In terms of the Port Vale squad; Ellis Harrison will be the name to watch out for... the Striker (signed after a very short spell at Fleetwood), was reunited with the Manager who gave him his debut in the game, and has seven goals to his name this season - James Wilson is another to keep track of up top... the ex-Man Utd youngster was tipped for a promising career, however injuries have restricted his time to the lower reaches of the EFL since leaving Carrington in 2019.

Charlton Team News
Last Saturday we witnessed a crazy game between two sides who thought: "Defending is overrated" prior to kick-off... So we can only hope that we've worked a lot more on our defensive shape in the last week - Having scored (and conceded) seven goals in our last two League games proves that finding the net isn't the issue with this team.

Of course there were always going to be changes what with the World Cup on the horizon, yet there was heartbreak for Jojo Wollacott who sustained a freak injury in the Burton warm up, and will now be absent for club and country for the foreseeable future (Jojo however will be absent from Sparrows Lane, as he will remain part of the travelling Ghana team) - Craig MacGillivray is set to take his place between the sticks in his absence, yet now appears to be carrying his own knock... It means that Ashley Maynard-Brewer could finally be set for his League debut, having regained fitness, and having been recalled from his loan from Gillingham.

Elsewhere and Sean Clare will return to the side, having served his one match suspension.

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Inniss - Lavelle - Sessegnon
Rak-Sakyi - Dobson - Fraser - Campbell
Kirk - Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Elerewe - Forster-Caskey - Payne - Morgan - Aneke - Blackett-Taylor

Comments

• edited November 2022
    I get the reasoning behind Elerewe starting over Lavelle, I mean the latter hasnt been doing great in League One.

BUT... How many of us have seen Deji playing two levels lower this season?

He's done well when he's played previously for us, but given he's barely played for us, he could equally have gone backwards himself a bit  - We've recalled him, as we dont really have anyone else that senior (Barker has mainly played National League South, O'Connor is in the National League South, Ness has only just gone to the National League).

If Garner plays him, I wont complain as he'll have seen him on the training ground this last week, and must feel he's ready if thats the case - But if he's not starting, you equally have to ask yourself why, I mean if he's struggling to deal with Stockley on the training pitch, that would be saying a lot for example.

Deji hasnt been recalled from his loan, because we think he's doing well enough for a recall...
  • edited November 2022
    Garner will get a warm welcome tomorrow afternoon I’m sure at the Vale.

Harrison is suspended for Vale 
  • Our luck with injuries is getting ridiculous.. one season it’s got to change we will win the league east ..
    Think tomorrow was a win as well the wider pitch would suit us .. now it levels it up 
  • I would be surprised if JFC isn't involved, would compound the issue by paying the clause then not picking him?

Might be tempted to go back to a 3 man midfield, after we were over run a bit at Burton?

A Johnnie Jackson/Graham Stuart type wide midfielder, not winger, would help.  I like the idea of Payne, Aneke and CBT coming off the bench so I would go with 

The back 5 in the preview 

JFC Dobson Fraser
                         Kirk
    JRS           Stockley 

You could write it down as a 442, diamond, Christmas tree, 433 but it would all amount to the same thing.
  • edited November 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I would be surprised if JFC isn't involved, would compound the issue by paying the clause then not picking him?
    Forgot about him, am too used to writing Previews without him in now

Put him on the bench now instead of Chin
  • Yay, our injury curse does not just hit CBs, forwards but now goalkeepers too. This is getting ridiculous. 
  • Is Maynard brewer fit?
  • Redhenry said:
    Is Maynard brewer fit?
    Fit enough to start tomorrow 
  • My first away game this season as I haven’t been to Vale Park since the Championship winning season in 99/00.  I can’t recall if we played there in the first or second half of that season, but either way, good to be going back after 20 plus years.

Not much to add to what I usually say.  Stockley, needs to score, his return is pitiful. The defence need to defend 

• Sponsored links:

• Really bad feeling about this one, and should we lose, as I think we will, it’ll start to get ugly again next home game as the streak of wins is well and truly forgotten. 

Agree with earlier post I wanna see Elewere given a go, and why not, it’s not like we’re defending well currently.  And Aneke surely can start at some point?

AMB
    Clare, Innis, Elewere, Sessegnon 
    JRS, Dobson, Fraser, CBT
    Kirk
    Aneke

1-0 them.
  • A must win.
  • Just been emailed by the club telling me the game is being Live Streamed. Didn't realise this but do sort of remember it being mentioned a month or two back. Seeing as there are no Prem or Championship matches Sky Soccer Saturday is going to rather muted so might well pay my tenner & watch us up in Burslem.   
  • Hard to call this one.

Just can’t see how our defence, especially now with another new keeper, manages to not concede a couple of goals.
  • tricky game against yet another tough little outfit and we go there with a patched up defence .. however, they concede quite a few and don't score that many so we have a good chance to win this

Port Vale 1 v CAFC 2
  • If the game is not called off, the pitch is likely to be very heavy and difficult.
  • Their leading goal scorer Harrison is suspended and next scorer Wilson is injured 
  • Sponsored links:

• Very tricky game with our 8 missing. Would think we badly need 3 points. 1-0 to Port Vale, nothing is easy in this league.
  • It feels like we’re the unluckiest club in the division, with all these injuries. Not sure if it’s backed up by the stats though. 
  • Goals a plenty in this one!
  • Port Vale the Wembley of the north.
    yes that was the name given to the ground after world war 2, and the intention was to turn it into one . 
    Back in 1974 missed the goal scored by Colin Powell in our 3-1 defeat at Vale Park.

As for Saturday coming back with a point would be a victory for Charlton.

• edited November 2022
    Elewere can't be any worse than Lavelle, but that back line has been so disrupted I'd be reluctant to make another change at centre back. Normally I'd be quite excited the prospect of AMB getting his debut, especially as I'm firmly in the "don't really rate Macgillivray, but he's surely going to be a bit ring-rusty and, again, that back line has already been disrupted enough in recent weeks.

Perhaps getting back to a midfield 3 with Dobbo and JFC starting to try and protect the creaking back line is the way to go, although it would be against Garner's principles.

Hopefully we can keep it tight for 60 mins ready to unleash Chuks and CBT in the second half.

We really need the win, but I'd take a point right now.
  • Goals a plenty in this one!
    Hmmm, set to be 0-0 now
  • With that line up there is no chance of a clean sheet. Dobson and Fraser will have an awful lot of work to do with that midfield. I can't see us winning this one. A draw will be a good result, but I think our injuries will take their toll and we will lose this.