Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Live aid revisited (there's more to it than Freddie )

Just watched the Style Council's performance again and thought they f.... smashed it...
Who would you like to unearth..?

Ps. And what about BB King...?

Comments

• 2nd band on after Quo started the whole thing off. Just gone midday, so a horrible slot, but they were superb. Weller spitting out the lyrics to Walls Come Tumbling Down, which are still so true today (they take the profits, you take the blame). The band really enjoying themselves on Internationalists & Big Boss Groove (forgotten how much I like that track) and started the whole thing with You’re The Best Thing. He may have looked miserable and out of place at the Do They Know It’s Christmas video, but he gave it all on this short set. 
  • I taped a lot of it but missed Style Council, U2 & Queen. I was mainly looking forward to seeing Led Zep (from the US sadly) as they had disbanded well before I got into them. I did tape the Who & have the technical break just after they stated My Generation & then comes back into Love Reign O'er Me. 

I bought the official DVD of it all, that omits Led Zep as Jimmy Page thought they were awful (he looked off his tits) and he wont sanction anyone using any of their set on anything. 

One of the most poignant moments for me is Sir Bob taking a moment after singing the line "and the message today is how to die" during I Dont like Mondays. 

Epic event.
  • Watched Status Quo and Phil Collins in Crayford working men's club with the live bingo kicking off.  Waited for New Order, Echo and The Bumnymen and Nick Cave to come on as listed on the 80s Google Ceefax, only to see Spandau fucking Ballet mince about, then Queen and Wham did the same.  Slade Green pikeys then arrived and proceeded to smash the place up (presumably because they missed the Bob Geldof speech),  Nicked some hoffmeister and went home to play some UK Subs records.  Was a great day 
  • David Bowie. Whole backing great, the way Heroes was performed was incredible. U2 did OK too, as did The Who. Couple of my cousins went, still talk about it to this very day. Amazing event. Still have the whole lot on DVD - and VHS
  • Amazing day. Obviously Queen stole the show but there were some great performances that day. Bowie, Dire Straits and Bryan Ferry but Elton John was fantastic. I only really went because The Who had reformed and I thought it would be the only chance I’d get to see them and was gutted when the screens by the stage went down at the same time as the live broadcast. 

Was a massive fan of the Style Council and loved their set. 
  • George Thorogood and the Destroyers, with added Bo Diddley and Albert Collins... 
  • Anyone remember INXS doing a couple of tracks live from Australia? 
  • I was there. One of the best three trips to Wembley (the others being 98 and 19, of course). 

Highlights for me (that the TV didn't show) were meeting Bob Geldof on his way to one of many interviews, and the litter fight that broke out between tens of thousands of fans at Wembley, bored with watching Madonna in Philadelphia. 
  • Anyone remember INXS doing a couple of tracks live from Australia? 
    The Aussie gig (Oz for Africa) had already taken place before London started. INXS closed it and the BBC played a couple of tracks.

http://liveaid.free.fr/pages/ozforafrika-uk.html
  • Chizz said:
    I was there. One of the best three trips to Wembley (the others being 98 and 19, of course). 

Highlights for me (that the TV didn't show) were meeting Bob Geldof on his way to one of many interviews, and the litter fight that broke out between tens of thousands of fans at Wembley, bored with watching Madonna in Philadelphia. 
    Do you remember everyone dancing when they showed The Beach Boys set in LA on the screens?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    I was there. One of the best three trips to Wembley (the others being 98 and 19, of course). 

Do you remember everyone dancing when they showed The Beach Boys set in LA on the screens?
    Honestly? No.  But, in my defence, I paid more attention to the acts on stage, than on the big screens from the US - and usually used that time to go and find loos!
  • Why didn’t the Stones play together? 

Jagger was with Tina Turner then Ronnie and Keith played the set after (can’t remember who with) 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Why didn’t the Stones play together? 

Jagger was with Tina Turner then Ronnie and Keith played the set after (can’t remember who with) 
    Ronnie & Keith played with Bob Dylan. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Why didn’t the Stones play together? 

Tax reasons   ;)