Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What happens if Stockley gets injured now ?

Isn't this the biggest threat to our season. Leaburn is out until c Xmas and he is only 19 years old. Chuks is brilliant but can only come on for 20 min or so. 
Who would play up front ? 

Comments

• Payne and Kirk probably, with Kanu on the bench.
  • Payne and Kirk probably, with Kanu on the bench.
    Blimey - if that happens we will never get the ball out of our own half !
  • You go back to 4-3-3 and play any of CBT, Rak Sakyi or Campbell up there and just go pace pace pace with no long balls other than ones over the top. 
  • Also just means that we have to find another player to scapegoat... God I hope Morgan replaces him for ease
  • edited November 2022
    It was much more difficult under JJ because his style was more direct and Stockley was key to it, so when we lost him and were forced to start playing Burstow and Elliot Lee up top it was dire. But now, we don't exactly target Stockley in Garner's system and he struggles to fit into it, so I don't think he'd be a momentous loss. 
  • He's playing injured anyway by the looks of it. 

Would like to see his bleed test!
  • Sponsored links:

• We'll concede more goals from set pieces 
  • We'll concede more goals from set pieces 
    This.  Stockley is our best centre half on recent showing
  • edited November 2022
    You read the  "where are the goals going to come from" thread and realise you don't need a big man upfront and our tactics have been based on a number of interchangeable "forwards" who will all get into double figures this season.

Or you just stick Aneke up there.
  • If we lose Stockley through injury, Sangaard will open up his cheque book in January and splash out … oh wait. Nah, scrap that … we’re Fcuked 
  • Leuth said:
    Our last league game featured 70 minutes of Stockley (0 goals) and 20 minutes of no Stockley (4 goals) if you want a small and slightly unfair sample
    You read the  "where are the goals going to come from" thread and realise you don't need a big man upfront and our tactics have been based on a number of interchangeable "forwards" who will all get into double figures this season.

Or you just stick Aneke up there.
    But then we're back to the question as to whether Aneke is fit and able to start a game. Surely, if that were the case and given Stockley's fitness, form and overuse, we would have done so by now and in any event we know that he isn't anywhere near as effective as when he does come on late against tired legs. And who would then be our impact sub? 
  • se9addick said:
    I don’t think losing Stockley is the biggest threat to our season. Losing Dobson or one of our few remaining CBs would be a bigger issue 
    If we lose Dobson we won't win many games. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    You go back to 4-3-3 and play any of CBT, Rak Sakyi or Campbell up there and just go pace pace pace with no long balls other than ones over the top. 
    Plus the likes of Payne and DJ (when fit). Of course it was only against lowly opposition, but Payne showed on Saturday that he can be a goal threat in central areas. Indeed more effective than when he's stuck on the right, predictably cutting inside onto his stronger foot.
  • Isn't this the biggest threat to our season. Leaburn is out until c Xmas and he is only 19 years old. Chuks is brilliant but can only come on for 20 min or so. 
    Who would play up front ? 
    This January is potentially the biggest threat to our season
  • mendonca said:
    He's playing injured anyway by the looks of it. 

Would like to see his bleed test!
    What to find out what drugs he needs…🤔😉
  • edited November 2022
    I believe we are about approaching the anniversary of the last game we won with neither Stockley nor Aneke playing.  

He is having a awful time of it but coupled with our defensive issue he would be a bigger loss than his lack of attacking output would suggest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree with others that Dobson, and for me also, Fraser, would be a bigger loss. 

JFC isn't going to get a league start. God know why. 
    Mcgrandles is injured. Morgan isn't as good as we hope. Henry isnt experienced enough to carry the midfield for a run of games. Have I missed anyone of note? 

Lose JS and we change shape to suit. Stick our quickest forward up there, gotta be CBT, and play to his strengths. Our 433 would be better without Stockley, as proven. 
    Play to feet to him, he either draws the defenders, lays it off back, and he looks to get in behind with the return pass, or if they stand off in fear of his pace, he can turn and run at them.
    I know he's not a natural centre forward, but he'd scare the shite out of the central 2. Kirk and JRS outside of him. Both can pick a pass. JRS can beat a man with skill.
    Change out CBT with Aneke with 25 -30 to go. Both benefit from not grinding out 90 min games every match day. 

But no one  can do what Dobson does, half as good as him. Fraser is really playing into a top top league 1 midfielder.
     If we also lose another CB and we are absolutely scraping barrels squad wise.

But not so much with Stockley missing.  
  • What happens is everyone stops complaining about him until hes back fit.
  • We all sing and dance/ Rejoice? 
  • Hal1x said:
    What happens is everyone stops complaining about him until hes back fit.
    He would certainly go up in everyone's estimations whilst he is injured as per. 
  • Sign Nicolai Jorgenson who is out of contract striker from Norway.
    No idea if he is still fit to play football but really looks like him. 
  • sorry for spamming thread but serious answer
    Raki-su or CBT as a false 9 or maybe switching it up between the wings would be pretty dangerous
  • we win  the league 
  • If Stockley was unavailable for a while I would go to a diamond midfield with CBT and JRS as the front two.  

Saying that if McGrandles is out for a while and JFC is persona non grata I don't think we have enough midfielders....
  • I know I am very much in the minority but I don’t think Rak Saki, CBT, Kirk or anyone else could do the job and I think it would be disastrous for us. When he and Washington were out last year it was hopeless. The opposition realise that there is no physical threat and they move 10 yds further up the pitch. It happened against Oxford ( 0-4) last season to name just one example.