Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Response from UEFA nations after FIFA sent a letter to all countries telling them to stick to football and not to criticise Qatar on their human rights record. 

Comments

• That'll be the same anti corporation brewery, with an owner that has shares in Heineken. 
  • It's farcical; it only highlights just how stupid and narrow minded people can be.

Qatar is obviously an awful country that should simply just get taken the piss out of. 

• shine166 said:

That'll be the same anti corporation brewery, with an owner that has shares in Heineken. 
    And who will be showing the matches in all his pubs (and don't forget, he has a bit of a reputation for being a bully, and we know how much we don't like them!)
  • To be fair if we really want to make Qatar stop and think about how it treats people, we need to think further than this World Cup - This is a one off Tournament which'll help paint Qatar in a good light, but will also be remembered for the deaths of so many workers that built it, and thats something that should never be forgotten.

But it still feels like a bit of virtue signalling - If we truly want Qatar to think about its laws etc. then they need to be hit in their pockets

Sainsburys | British Airways | Much of London | Paris St. Germain, all bank rolled by Qatar, something no one will give a shit about once the World Cup Final is done and dusted.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2022
    i know it suits the agenda but how many actual LGBTQ+ fans are there attending the world cup and would they be openly welcomed at say efl matches, I dare say if we were playing a game away and there was a same sex couple some abuse would get hurled. 

the workers dying is disgusting but i've made my views on that part of the world many times and how some of there rules are in my eyes backwards and been labelled and called out for it. i work in a field where i could go to saudi for a couple of years and probably make enough to buy a decent place here and be quite well off, but i wouldnt do it as imo it would be hypocritical. 

many will say if people live in england they should live by english rules. its the same for qatar, however bad they are they are there rules. 

world cup should never of been given to them in the 1st place a real statement would of been for nations like us, brazil to not attend and then see how great there world cup is. 

i will watch it on tv
  • MrOneLung said:
    all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

If you are going, then you accept the laws and lifestyle of the country. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 
    Are you going to watch the World cup out of interest? 

This is exactly the predicament i have, i will be watching and cheering on England, but feels a bit dirty considering but can't really preach too much as that would make me a hypocrite?
  • "Male homosexuality is illegal in Qatar, with a punishment of up to three years in prison and a fine and the possibility of death penalty for Muslims under sharia law; however, there are no known cases that the death penalty was enforced for homosexuality."

"In May 2022 some hotels on FIFA's official list of recommended accommodations for the World Cup event were outright refusing to provide accommodations to same-sex couples, while other hotels on the list indicated they would accept reservations for same-sex couples so long as they hid their relationship in public."

"In December 2021, Nasser Al Khater, CEO of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, assured gay fans they could feel safe there, as long as they act conservatively. "
  • edited November 2022
    it is worth also mentioning that public affection is also illegal in qatar to say kiss your mrs walking down the street 

Any intimacy in public between men and women (including between teenagers) can lead to arrest. Living together whilst unmarried is prohibited in Qatar, and sex outside of marriage, regardless of whether this is same sex couples or opposite sex couples, is illegal.
  • edited November 2022
    Wrong Thread
  • MrOneLung said:
    all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 
    What to do, if you don't go precisely because they are a bunch of c---ts who massively bribed their way into something they have no right to be involved in? How do those of us who think that way make our displeasure known (in much the same way as you do when say, South Eastern Trains seriously fuck up your daily life) ?
  • it is worth also mentioning that public affection is also illegal in qatar to say kiss your mrs walking down the street 

Any intimacy in public between men and women (including between teenagers) can lead to arrest. Living together whilst unmarried is prohibited in Qatar, and sex outside of marriage, regardless of whether this is same sex couples or opposite sex couples, is illegal.
    With of course an exemption for Qatari businessmen visiting London , Prague and just about anywhere else, who need to "relax" after the stress of their business day...
    get what you are saying but they are then not in qatar in london we have a pretty easy going life. we dont behead people and have medieval laws that have no place in my eyes in society but of course im a racist for this..... 
  • Sponsored links:

• it is worth also mentioning that public affection is also illegal in qatar to say kiss your mrs walking down the street 

With of course an exemption for Qatari businessmen visiting London , Prague and just about anywhere else, who need to "relax" after the stress of their business day...
    get what you are saying but they are then not in qatar in london we have a pretty easy going life. we dont behead people and have medieval laws that have no place in my eyes in society but of course im a racist for this..... 
    Apparently they are entitled to make thier own rules, even when it persecutes a section of society...

Those that are going know exactly what they've gotten themselves into.
  • "Male homosexuality is illegal in Qatar, with a punishment of up to three years in prison and a fine and the possibility of death penalty for Muslims under sharia law; however, there are no known cases that the death penalty was enforced for homosexuality."

"In May 2022 some hotels on FIFA's official list of recommended accommodations for the World Cup event were outright refusing to provide accommodations to same-sex couples, while other hotels on the list indicated they would accept reservations for same-sex couples so long as they hid their relationship in public."

"In December 2021, Nasser Al Khater, CEO of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, assured gay fans they could feel safe there, as long as they act conservatively. "
    it is worth also mentioning that public affection is also illegal in qatar to say kiss your mrs walking down the street 

Pathetic.

Qatar is a nation that takes itself too seriously and in the wrong sort of way.

The leaders of Qatar hold a stubborn resistance towards reality and they are control freaks.

There's nothing wrong with being religious and following 'the god rules', but maybe it's about time to gently put Muslim and Christian beliefs to one side, as we all know they are, overall, a useless waste... doing more harm than good. 

Cult leaders are the worst of the worst. I know its not the same as this, but the careless ways carry similarities.  

7,000 deaths says it all. They couldn't care less about people and they don't take responsibility.

Its only going dangerous for all the fans attending these world Cup games. It ain't gana be fun.
  • MrOneLung said:

This is exactly the predicament i have, i will be watching and cheering on England, but feels a bit dirty considering but can't really preach too much as that would make me a hypocrite?
    of course I am going to watch it, love the world cup and not really bothered about the other stuff just like I dont care the Saudis own Newcastle. My only complaint is that I think World Cups should go to proper footballing nations which Qatar is not.

Look forward to people not watching the world cup games in USA due to their laws against women based on religious dogma
  • shine166 said:

That'll be the same anti corporation brewery, with an owner that has shares in Heineken. 
    And who will be showing the matches in all his pubs (and don't forget, he has a bit of a reputation for being a bully, and we know how much we don't like them!)
    Literally taking bookings for there own fans zones 

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/fanzone
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

of course I am going to watch it, love the world cup and not really bothered about the other stuff just like I dont care the Saudis own Newcastle. My only complaint is that I think World Cups should go to proper footballing nations which Qatar is not.

Look forward to people not watching the world cup games in USA due to their laws against women based on religious dogma
    Didn't realise women were illegal in the USA.

This is what we're dealing with in Qatar. Homosexuality is illegal full stop. 
  • Japan and South Korea weren't footballing countries and had a great tournament. South Korea can probably be considered a footballing country these days. If the world cup was only to be played at footballing countries it will only be played in Europe and South America. It was great to have it in South Africa.

However, you should be bothered by the other stuff  in Qatar.
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

Didn't realise women were illegal in the USA.

This is what we're dealing with in Qatar. Homosexuality is illegal full stop. 
    Can you not read ?
    Where did I say that ?