Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any Marketing people out there?

I've just started doing some work for a really good design, brand and marketing agency who are expanding to London and we're basically looking for work!
Anyone looking for a new agency or willing to hear about what we can do?

will be plenty of beers in it for anyone who can help!

Client hospitality could be fun at the Valley!

Comments

• email me at

04_MCS@netaddicks.com
  • you have mail.....
  • @SporadicAddick. Oof. I would definitely want to have a translation! Best guess is that it’s some kind of pro- refugee statement by KFC, it’s still a big problem for Greece, which we have all forgotten about. But beyond that, without the text, I wouldn’t dare to judge it! Did you only see it once, and was there anything special about the location?
  • It's Prague's best work
  • @SporadicAddick. Oof. I would definitely want to have a translation! Best guess is that it’s some kind of pro- refugee statement by KFC, it’s still a big problem for Greece, which we have all forgotten about. But beyond that, without the text, I wouldn’t dare to judge it! Did you only see it once, and was there anything special about the location?
    Only saw it once, on a bus stop in Syntagma Square (Central). 

Unfortunately my keyboard doesn’t help with Google translate…
  • On old thread but the title worked, so in the spirit of recycling, I thought I'd go with it.

I saw this advert for KFC in Athens, and I can't get my head around it. On old woman with two chips up her nose, and a kid with tomato sauce around his chops. It doesn't make me want to queue up for a Tower Zinger burger.

If anyone here can read Greek, perhaps the marketing is more clever than it seems?

@PragueAddick , any thoughts on the brand proposition?

The text translates, roughly, as:

KFC
    THE ONLY THING
    THAT DOESN'T
    FIT HERE IS SHAME.
    Updated but always
    welcoming KFC outlets.
  • Thank you, Mr Paphitis. Always knew you were no ordinary Spanner  ;)

Having seen the text I now realise I was daft to think the old lady was not Greek, she can of course be, and the kid certainly looks to be, so I suppose the message is about how its for absolutely everyone, no snootiness, no restaurant conventions.
  • Thanks BBW / Prague.

So it does have some meaning. I'm not sure that marketing approach would translate into the UK but I suppose every market is different...
  • Sponsored links:

• Google Image search can take all the credit, what with it's translate feature  :)
  • edited November 2022
    On old thread but the title worked, so in the spirit of recycling, I thought I'd go with it.

I saw this advert for KFC in Athens, and I can't get my head around it. On old woman with two chips up her nose, and a kid with tomato sauce around his chops. It doesn't make me want to queue up for a Tower Zinger burger.

If anyone here can read Greek, perhaps the marketing is more clever than it seems?

This is why most big brands produce regional work, because they can't trust the smaller local markets!
  • ok Prague, now tell us what is being gained by go compare now being branded as go.compare ? 

• MrOneLung said:
    ok Prague, now tell us what is being gained by go compare now being branded as go.compare ? 

Well I can see the point of it even if you can't 😉
  • edited November 2022
    Chunes said:
    On old thread but the title worked, so in the spirit of recycling, I thought I'd go with it.

This is why most big brands produce regional work, because they can't trust the smaller local markets!
    Hmmm. As I found out, when I moved from a "big" market to a "smaller local" one, that kind of thinking can produce equally shite results. In my experience most big brands produce regional (or more usually global) work because they decide in their wisdom not to invest in local marketing teams who will in turn understand how to position the brand locally in the most effective way. It makes sense to the global accountants to do that.

To our eyes this image looks weird and highly unappetising. But we are not Greek. I didn't even recognise the woman as Greek, to my shame. (But it's also possible that this has been done on a whim and is just a very badly thought out piece of work).
  • edited November 2022
    Chunes said:

Hmmm. As I found out, when I moved from a "big" market to a "smaller local" one, that kind of thinking can produce equally shite results. In my experience most big brands produce regional (or more usually global) work because they decide in their wisdom not to invest in local marketing teams who will in turn understand how to position the brand locally in the most effective way. It makes sense to the global accountants to do that.

To our eyes this image looks weird and highly unappetising. But we are not Greek. I didn't even recognise the woman as Greek, to my shame. (But it's also possible that this has been done on a whim and is just a very badly thought out piece of work).
    Ideally everyone would be doing local work I agree but a brand like KFC will be in ... I don't know how many small markets? The infrastructure needed to set up and oversee all those teams, ensure their quality, get them to come up with local insight-led campaigns and make sure they're unique yet still on global brand, throughout ideation to production and over the whole campaign period - yeesh! Just do global/regional and adapt. No wonder that's what most brands are doing right now. 

But no you're not wrong that the regional/global approach makes for shite work too. Having to satisfy 16 markets in one brief leads to awful advertising. Briefs become box-ticking exercises and getting feedback from 287 stakeholders is soul destroying. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Ideally everyone would be doing local work I agree but a brand like KFC will be in ... I don't know how many small markets? The infrastructure needed to set up and oversee all those teams, ensure their quality, get them to come up with local insight-led campaigns and make sure they're unique yet still on global brand, throughout ideation to production and over the whole campaign period - yeesh! Just do global/regional and adapt. No wonder that's what most brands are doing right now. 

But no you're not wrong that the regional/global approach makes for shite work too. Having to satisfy 16 markets in one brief leads to awful advertising. Briefs become box-ticking exercises and getting feedback from 287 stakeholders is soul destroying. 
    Sure, can‘t argue with that overall, for a global company it looks an entirely rational business approach. Unfortunately the American owned companies are the most rigid and arrogant about it. Unilever has always had a more nuanced approach. I never hsd anything to do with KFC but I worked with McDonalds in the early days in Prague, and it does seem like they allow a bit more local  creativity now than in those days, when they behaved as if they had been the main driver of the fall of the Iron Curtain. 

Sounds like you work in a big agency, @Chunes. I‘ve got to ask…how long have they been using the word “ideation” ? I mean, I get that it is a bit shorter than “creative development” but jeez, its ugly. But there, I’m sounding like what I am, a grumpy old ex-ad man🤣
  • Eating KFC is fun.

• KFC tastes better if you can circumvent your olfactory organs.
  • edited November 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Sure, can‘t argue with that overall, for a global company it looks an entirely rational business approach. Unfortunately the American owned companies are the most rigid and arrogant about it. Unilever has always had a more nuanced approach. I never hsd anything to do with KFC but I worked with McDonalds in the early days in Prague, and it does seem like they allow a bit more local  creativity now than in those days, when they behaved as if they had been the main driver of the fall of the Iron Curtain. 

Sounds like you work in a big agency, @Chunes. I‘ve got to ask…how long have they been using the word “ideation” ? I mean, I get that it is a bit shorter than “creative development” but jeez, its ugly. But there, I’m sounding like what I am, a grumpy old ex-ad man🤣
    @PragueAddick Yes right about the American companies. I did a lot of work for Mattel and it was all regional. KFC seem more flexible, I know they've had a lot of success with their Hong Kong campaigns which you've probably seen (chicken that looks like flames coming out rockets, etc). 

Not in a big agency any more. I left the 4A's world a few years ago to go freelance. Got too old for that life! Although there are parts I miss.

Yes, I think 'ideation' is quite common now, unfortunately... I remember one very senior ECD who used to say "brainwriting" a lot. Thankfully that never caught on...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2022
    Talk about timing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63499057

Utterly horrific

They band these activations out to all sorts of numpties
  • On old thread but the title worked, so in the spirit of recycling, I thought I'd go with it.

That looks as though it was photographed on the north stand concourse, giving it a Soviet vibe.  KFCs fries are never that big. 

Don't think that is an advert. That was a Greek Hello public health alert, not an advert, Giorgos at the Athena takeaway down the road said it was taken last week at a KFC,  'its Putin's wife off her nut snorting fries and hitting the chicken shops and clubs with Rishi Sunak.  She's not a natural in her new role as being married to the world's most despised man'. He's a bullshitter though  as too many words and too political and misses the brand proposition.  

The translation of that is 'the only thing that doesn't fit here is shame* *and Palace Ultras' so the brand proposition is that they'll welcome anyone, a bit like a wetherspoons