Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Vaughan

Out for a Duck ....

ECB 12-5 .... BLIMEY

Comments

• Its good to see him in the side tho, shame he couldnt stay there for more than 7 balls!

Come on Micky V
  • Fielded for 45 mins then rested for an hour, fielded for an hour then had another rest .... sounds like Dowman where ever he may be!!!!
  • What do you make of the news he may retire? Where would you put him on the list of all time England captains. I, for one, hold him in high esteem and he is one of the main reasons we won the Ashes in 2005 having a 2 year plan when he replaced Hussain as captain and ran with all the good work he'd done. He won 6 test series in a row, something we didn't seem capable of before and don't seem capable of now. His calm demeanor, ability to lead from the front and innovative field placings meant he commanded the side during arguably its most ever succesful period. If not for any of this then at the very least he should be commended for the Ashes 2005 when we not only competed but out fought and out thought the Aussies in 4 of the 5 tests. All the best for the future Michael and thank you for all you did for English cricket.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/yorkshire/8122839.stm
  • Would love to say what I think, but Spankie beat me to it.
    Without him we wouldn't have the Ashes............
  • edited June 2009
    Goodbye Michael............ and thanks a million buddy.
  • Until the injuries finally caught up with him he was a class act.

Good captain, highly competent test class bat and a better off break bowler than he was given credit for.

All the best to him.
  • His batting here in Oz in 2002 was top-class, I have been here 12 years and never seen any visiting batsman take the Aussies apart like he did. He was brilliant in that series - and he wasn't even fully fit!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Ditto to what's been said. I felt deeply, almost irrationally, disappointed when I read he was to retire, even when I saw how much his recent stats made retirement a certainty.

Not only did he very much lead us to a victory that stirred up the kind of national pride we hadn't seen for many years, not in sport anyway, he never came across as anything other than approachable, decent and well-mannered with it at all times. A very, very good cricket player too.

To combine those qualities with the kind of ruthlessness you need to be the kind of player he was and to achieve what he did in 2005 is a very rare thing indeed and he is another one of those few sportsmen who I would hold up as a true role-model.

It makes the signed copy of his autobiography my brother bought me shortly after the Ashes victory all the more special now. Thanks for the memories Michael!
  • A hard nosed bastard though...

Ricky Ponting once asked him just as he was walking out to bat in an Ashes Test whether he was really good enough to be batting for England. Vaughan's reply: "Who do you think you are, Steve Waugh?"
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]A hard nosed bastard though...

Ricky Ponting once asked him just as he was walking out to bat in an Ashes Test whether he was really good enough to be batting for England. Vaughan's reply: "Who do you think you are, Steve Waugh?"
    Quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Odd that Yorkshire seem to have dropped him like a hot stone? Maybe Sky have made him an offer he can't refuse & that would cause a conflict of interests?
  • [cite]Posted By: Darren[/cite]Odd that Yorkshire seem to have dropped him like a hot stone? Maybe Sky have made him an offer he can't refuse & that would cause a conflict of interests?

Not really that strange, he has got dodgy knees and his heart was set on getting back to England duty and once he knew that would not be happening he decided to quit rather than trudge around the county circuit for another couple of years.

Once the ECB stopped paying his wages via his CC then YCC would have to take over - and he would not come cheap - so they probably thought it was not worth spending their limited cash on 34 year old with dodgy knees whose heart was probably not in it anyway.

Once you have experience the highs of Test Match cricket and you are financially set for life like Vaughan is then the prospect of driving round the country playing at Derby and Folkestone is probably not all that appealing.