Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 24th September 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 24th September 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Adam Herczeg

Introduction
Its an unusual scenario for Charlton to be playing this coming weekend, what with the first International break of the season upon us - One Senior Player and a handful of Academy players on International Duty isnt enough to get this particular game called off, so its another trip on the road with the Addicks travelling to Yorkshire, with Barnsley the hosts.

The Opposition
Name: Barnsley (6th) | Manager: Michael Duff
Ground: Oakwell
Previous Result: Cambridge United 0-3 Barnsley

Our opponents returned to League One at the end of last season after three years in the Championship, and it was three years of mixed emotions for Tykes fans. Survival at the last minute in the first year is a well known story for Addicks fans, yet Barnsley followed that miraculous survival with a well deserved spot in the Play-Offs in the following year. Valerien Ismael and his side would fall short that year, and unfortunately would lose their Manager at the end of it; Ismael briefly moving on to bigger and better things - There was to be no fairytale last term... Barnsley would finish bottom of the Championship, and like Charlton in recent years,  continue to yoyo between the second and third tiers of English Football.

Going through three Managers last season is never a recipe for success, especially when fighting against relegation so it was no surprise to see the Tykes going into the summer looking for their fourth of the year - They turned to Michael Duff from Cheltenham Town, an unorthodox choice in some ways, given their recent approach of going for Continental Managers. Yet Duff has shown his potential in Management, and given Cheltenham's success in League One last term, its no surprise that they've lost their highly rated Manager so quickly... Three defeats this campaign see Barnsley currently in sixth, albeit just three points above their visitors this weekend - Oakwell has been a tough venue for the Addicks in recent years, with Ben Garner and his side not just looking for their first win on the road, but will need to do it at a venue they've not won at since the famous 6-0 win of 2013.

Charlton Team News
Its a nice easy debate this weekend... Who replaces Jojo Wollacott in goal?

The Ghanian International is off this weekend replacing Barnsley and Fleetwood with Brazil and Nicaragua ahead of their World Cup preparations, so we must rely on another Number One between the sticks - Craig MacGillivray is the obvious choice, given his duties as substitute Goalkeeper this season, however Nathan Harness is the one with match fitness (albeit in the EFL Trophy), and wasnt close to departing the club on deadline day...

Elsewhere and Ryan Inniss will once again return from injury - Given previous line-ups its likely that he'll slot straight back into the team ahead of Sam Lavelle... In other injury news we continue to await the return of Chuks Aneke, however both Mandela Egbo and Steven Sessegnon could be options, given they've either returned on the pitch or in training within the last week.

Harness
Egbo - Inniss - O'Connell - Clare
Morgan - Dobson - Fraser
Blackett-Taylor - Stockley - Rak-Sakyi

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Lavelle - Clayden - Payne - McGrandles - Leaburn - Kirk

Prediction
Should certain players be available from the start, then I suspect we'll see a much better defensive display from the Addicks - Even if it does result in the likes of Sean Clare playing in an even more unfamiliar role @ Left-Back (Hell we dont have a natural left footed player in that position, so it'll always be a debatable issue for the traditionalists) - I suspect another frustrating game, with another frustrating point shared between these two sides.

Comments

• We've been awful this season, but have a feeling we will win this 2-1. 

O'Connell and Leaburn
  • 4-0 to Barnsley and a sending off for us
  • 1-1, tough game so i'd take it now. Not sure i'd be starting with Stockley based on current form. 
  • We do need a win but for me a point isn't bad here at all. I think we are going to sneak a 2-1 win
  • Can't see us getting anything here. 3-0 Barnsley. 
  • Can't see us getting anything from this game. 
    I'd settle for a point but reckon 3.1 Barnsley. 
  • If the management and the team are as despondent as the fans since the closure of the transfer window, I can only see a 3-0 or 4-0 defeat.

I feel that debacle regarding the failure to sign a striker, has really knocked the stuffing out of everyone, staff and fans alike.

Reality is now hitting home. Sad times!
  • Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 24th September 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Adam Herczeg

Introduction
    Its an unusual scenario for Charlton to be playing this coming weekend, what with the first International break of the season upon us - One Senior Player and a handful of Academy players on International Duty isnt enough to get this particular game called off, so its another trip on the road with the Addicks travelling to Yorkshire, with Barnsley the hosts.

The Opposition
    Name: Barnsley (6th) | Manager: Michael Duff
    Ground: Oakwell
    Previous Result: Cambridge United 0-3 Barnsley

Our opponents returned to League One at the end of last season after three years in the Championship, and it was three years of mixed emotions for Tykes fans. Survival at the last minute in the first year is a well known story for Addicks fans, yet Barnsley followed that miraculous survival with a well deserved spot in the Play-Offs in the following year. Valerien Ismael and his side would fall short that year, and unfortunately would lose their Manager at the end of it; Ismael briefly moving on to bigger and better things - There was to be no fairytale last term... Barnsley would finish bottom of the Championship, and like Charlton in recent years,  continue to yoyo between the second and third tiers of English Football.

Going through three Managers last season is never a recipe for success, especially when fighting against relegation so it was no surprise to see the Tykes going into the summer looking for their fourth of the year - They turned to Michael Duff from Cheltenham Town, an unorthodox choice in some ways, given their recent approach of going for Continental Managers. Yet Duff has shown his potential in Management, and given Cheltenham's success in League One last term, its no surprise that they've lost their highly rated Manager so quickly... Three defeats this campaign see Barnsley currently in sixth, albeit just three points above their visitors this weekend - Oakwell has been a tough venue for the Addicks in recent years, with Ben Garner and his side not just looking for their first win on the road, but will need to do it at a venue they've not won at since the famous 6-0 win of 2013.

Charlton Team News
    Its a nice easy debate this weekend... Who replaces Jojo Wollacott in goal?

The Ghanian International is off this weekend replacing Barnsley and Fleetwood with Brazil and Nicaragua ahead of their World Cup preparations, so we must rely on another Number One between the sticks - Craig MacGillivray is the obvious choice, given his duties as substitute Goalkeeper this season, however Nathan Harness is the one with match fitness (albeit in the EFL Trophy), and wasnt close to departing the club on deadline day...

Elsewhere and Ryan Inniss will once again return from injury - Given previous line-ups its likely that he'll slot straight back into the team ahead of Sam Lavelle... In other injury news we continue to await the return of Chuks Aneke, however both Mandela Egbo and Steven Sessegnon could be options, given they've either returned on the pitch or in training within the last week.

Harness
    Egbo - Inniss - O'Connell - Clare
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Lavelle - Clayden - Payne - McGrandles - Leaburn - Kirk

Prediction
    Should certain players be available from the start, then I suspect we'll see a much better defensive display from the Addicks - Even if it does result in the likes of Sean Clare playing in an even more unfamiliar role @ Left-Back (Hell we dont have a natural left footed player in that position, so it'll always be a debatable issue for the traditionalists) - I suspect another frustrating game, with another frustrating point shared between these two sides.
    From yesterday's q&a, Sessegnon should be available. Hope he plays, in which case I would be more optimistic.
  • If that is the team, I can see nothing but defeat. Clare at left back is a "no" for me. I would prefer Clayden. Who would have thought we would have a problem at left back? Expecting a 2-0 defeat, but hoping, as always, for something from the game. When will A&Eke return? His appearances are about as rare as Halley's Comet!
  • First thing.  So pleased it’s going ahead.  I found it quite embarrassing we were having games called off over the last few seasons because of international call ups.  Wasn’t it last season with Wassim Aoucharia?  The bloke didn’t get a sniff of first team football and now plays for Waterford, and I swear he was one of our 3 ‘internationals’.  Gunter was literally called up to the Wales squad as a Bale fan boy and the only one that really constituted a playing international was Washington.  So quite embarrassing all round.  Rant over.

This will be tough.  I can see Morgan coming back in for Payne.  Your front free is probably correct, will Kirk even make the bench?  He could bring him back into the fold but Mansfield may still be preferred.  

2-0 Barnsley.  
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    First thing.  So pleased it’s going ahead.  I found it quite embarrassing we were having games called off over the last few seasons because of international call ups.  Wasn’t it last season with Wassim Aoucharia?  The bloke didn’t get a sniff of first team football and now plays for Waterford, and I swear he was one of our 3 ‘internationals’.  Gunter was literally called up to the Wales squad as a Bale fan boy and the only one that really constituted a playing international was Washington.  So quite embarrassing all round.  Rant over.

This will be tough.  I can see Morgan coming back in for Payne.  Your front free is probably correct, will Kirk even make the bench?  He could bring him back into the fold but Mansfield may still be preferred.  

2-0 Barnsley.  
    I think the rumour was that we were able to get games called off because of Hady Ghandour being called up by Lebanon.

What it actually was, was that Washington | Gunter were being called up which we knew about, and then MacGillivray was on standby with Scotland, which was the reason for the cancellations
  • cabbles said:
    First thing.  So pleased it’s going ahead.  I found it quite embarrassing we were having games called off over the last few seasons because of international call ups.  Wasn’t it last season with Wassim Aoucharia?  The bloke didn’t get a sniff of first team football and now plays for Waterford, and I swear he was one of our 3 ‘internationals’.  Gunter was literally called up to the Wales squad as a Bale fan boy and the only one that really constituted a playing international was Washington.  So quite embarrassing all round.  Rant over.

2-0 Barnsley.  
    I think the rumour was that we were able to get games called off because of Hady Ghandour being called up by Lebanon.

What it actually was, was that Washington | Gunter were being called up which we knew about, and then MacGillivray was on standby with Scotland, which was the reason for the cancellations
    Yes, sorry, couldn’t remember who it was and thought it was Aoucharia.  

That makes more sense.  Still embarrassing imo when you’re in league one having our games called off for international weekends.  As much as I can’t see a result tomorrow, I’m still pleased it’s going ahead 
  • edited September 2022
    Looking forward to first away game in years. On train already. We're not going because of the football of course , but because Barnsley's only Indie nightclub bar is open tonight. Music will be as gloomy (hopefully) as the football. Fingers crossed they will let a bunch of over 50 year olds with Lahndan accents in. Other Lifers welcome! https://m.facebook.com/OpiumIndieBar/
  • Can't see us getting anything from this game. 
    I'd settle for a point but reckon 3.1 Barnsley. 
    This … I’m not even going to follow the match of social media. Dreading the rest of the season 
  • They have injuries and suspensions to contend with and cannot keep their first 11 intact this weekend (thanks to great Pod info on latest episode of CharltonLive).

I think we will line up as follows and get a surprise 1-0 win. J R-S the scorer.

MacGillivray
    Clare - Inniss - O'Connell - Sessegnon
    Payne - Dobson - Fraser

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Lavelle - Egbo - Morgan - McGrandles - Egbo - Kirk - Leaburn
  • While we’ve stuttered along in fits & starts so far this season I still believe that our best starting line up is half decent, so if Sessegnon is back & fit enough to start I predict that we’ll nick this. 2-1 maybe. Hopefully Stockley will finally break his open play duck, although he may not start. 
  • Got a horrible feeling we'll be torn a new one as they say.

Can't seen anything but a loss by at least 2 goals.
  • It's either a 5-0 thumping or a battling 0-1 , just hoping it's the latter.
  • Could be RakSakyi on the bench. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We have to get something it’s getting silly now, I’m losing interest after the last two games I must say and hope that doesn’t happy.  

I can see a 2-1 defeat unfortunately.  The Oxford game becomes toxic from minute 1.
  • Full comms tomorrow on BBC Radio London (not online) Believe it's on both 94.9FM and DAB
  • edited September 2022
    3-0 Addick, Egbo the new Kelly Youga (the good version)
  • A must win.
  • They have injuries and suspensions to contend with and cannot keep their first 11 intact this weekend (thanks to great Pod info on latest episode of CharltonLive).

I think we will line up as follows and get a surprise 1-0 win. J R-S the scorer.

MacGillivray
    Clare - Inniss - O'Connell - Sessegnon
    Payne - Dobson - Fraser

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Lavelle - Egbo - Morgan - McGrandles - Egbo - Kirk - Leaburn
    Happy with that team, but I think McGrandles will start in place of Payne.
  • seth plum said:
    A must win.
    You're beginning to sound like a knock-off Happy Valley now Seth!
  • Comfortable away win. 0-4

• Call me a crazy fantasist but I can see this ending 1-1
    I thought all our matches are supposed to end 1-1.  :smile:

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!