Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London weighting/allowance

Does anyone on here receive it?
If so, does it get reviewed and adjusted each year by your company?

I receive it but it hasn't been increased for well over 5 years now. Just wondered what others do

Comments

• I thought it increased as your salary does as its a percentage of your salary.

Where I work we have the choice to be a full time home worker from January but in doing so would forego the allowance and salary gets reflected as such
  • Mine has not increased or been reviewed in 8yrs
  • Mine has not increased or been reviewed in 8yrs
    Sounds like you're in the same boat as us and I think most other places. As a cost of living allowance it is supposed to align with inflation according to the literature I've found.
  • Sadiq Khan has very recently appointed a group to apply current cost pressures aligned with living and working in London and they have produced the following paper.

https://www.trustforlondon.org.uk/news/the-mayor-of-london-speaks-about-a-minimum-london-weighting-of-6549/
  • we have it. Goes up with pay award. Interesting conversations on hybrid working and London weighting 
  • edited September 2022
    Mine was folded into my base salary a few years ago but the amount hadn't changed at all in the 15+ years prior to that. I work for a huge UK company and salary discrepancy between London based roles and elsewhere in the UK is always a sore subject. Even more so by the fact so many of us are no longer in London 5 days a week.
  • I thought it increased as your salary does as its a percentage of your salary.

Where I work we have the choice to be a full time home worker from January but in doing so would forego the allowance and salary gets reflected as such
    Do they make an allowance for your energy bill, internet costs, wear and tear and the fact it saves them a fortune?
  • I'm hearing that was why Nabby's salary was so high with us.....it factored in living in London. 

At Huddersfield he was on thrupence h'penny a week....😄

Do they make an allowance for your energy bill, internet costs, wear and tear and the fact it saves them a fortune?
    Of course not.
  • Mine hasn’t changed for twenty years . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Lloyds Bank had it at about £3000 for years. Then 15 - 20 years ago added into the Central London based salary grade. 
  • edited September 2022
    Mine was folded into my base salary a few years ago but the amount hadn't changed at all in the 15+ years prior to that. I work for a huge UK company and salary discrepancy between London based roles and elsewhere in the UK is always a sore subject. Even more so by the fact so many of us are no longer in London 5 days a week.
    Sounds similar to my experience with Barclays. It went to £3,450 about 15 odd years ago and was never increased after that. They rolled it into the salary for senior staff a few years ago. 

I think the terminology was also changed a good few ago.  Rather than “London weighting” they changed it to “large town allowance” so colleagues across the country also got an increase if they worked in the larger cities. 

All a bit of a piss-take on the London / South East staff, which became very apparent during lockdown when people joined meetings on zoom. You could clearly see the differences in what a fairly level salary could get you across the country. 
  • edited September 2022
    I thought it increased as your salary does as its a percentage of your salary.

I thought it increased as your salary does as its a percentage of your salary.

Of course not.

I suspected that would be the case.

I'm retired now, but I think back to my first day at work in 1970. 

The Post Office (unbelievably) took on 300 apprentices that year and divided us into groups of 50 or so for the induction course.  Part of the course - much to the chagrin of management - was to allow the union 20 minutes to make a case and sign us up.  The union guy who came to see us was the archetypal union man, cloth cap, scarf and about 5 foot 1 tall.  My God did he let us have it.  He told us that from that moment on it would be a battle to get anything out of the company.  We would have to fight tooth and nail to get decent pay awards and sometimes be prepared to put our jobs on the line.  He also said that we'd have to fight tooth and nail to keep what we've already got - and to mark his words - that if terms and conditions were ever lost, we'd never get them back again.

I often think of that little man.  How right he was.  By the time I left the company 43 years later new starters had worse pay,  pensions were down, annual leave less, start and finish times moved to socially inconvenient slots and Saturdays and Sundays made part of the normal working week - which also reduced the ability to earn extra in overtime.

I saw bankers, traders and brokers make fortunes on the trading floors in the City, but for the rest of us mere mortals life was pretty tough.  Luckily for me, most of those changes came late in my career and didn't affect me too badly.  Workers now have to live with it.  My one observance was that modern man had become more compliant.  I'm sure there must be some deep socio economic reason for this that I'm just not seeing.

Anyway @twiggyaddick you didn't deserve that rant, I just wanted to get it off my chest.  Be careful out there though, it's a wicked old World.  

Raith_C_Chattonell , No need to say sorry, it is an interesting read and I totally agree, I think alot of people in my generation ((I'm mid 30s) have been responsible of a much lower take up in Unions generally .

I've been pretty fortunate, i fell into a good profession, and been able to top up my pension with AVCs when possible. 

When I get enough of a deposit, i'm off to Worcestershire so will lose the London Weighting, but I don't mind too much, London prices are crazy and the reality is its not somewhere I want to continue raising my kids.
  • edited September 2022
    Pretty sure there are two bands. Inner and outer weighting. No idea where the bands start. I have had outer for forever and I have paid zero attention to it so can't say whether it has ever gone up. The lose it if you are a homeworker debate has been rumbling on at our place for a while. Employer arguing that the tax relief for home working covers "costs associated".
  • Yeah at my place there is inner and outer London weighting. The easiest way to break the two down, if you have red buses nearby but you can park at work its probably outer and if you have to get a train to work and can't park anywhere its probably inner

They are both hugely outdated, outer was worth just over 100 quid a month to me and I'd do that in fuel in one week. Inner is about 3,500 a year and from where I live that will not get you a season ticket to anywhere in inner London 
  • TelMc32 said:
    Sounds similar to my experience with Barclays. It went to £3,450 about 15 odd years ago and was never increased after that. They rolled it into the salary for senior staff a few years ago. 

I think the terminology was also changed a good few ago.  Rather than “London weighting” they changed it to “large town allowance” so colleagues across the country also got an increase if they worked in the larger cities. 

All a bit of a piss-take on the London / South East staff, which became very apparent during lockdown when people joined meetings on zoom. You could clearly see the differences in what a fairly level salary could get you across the country. 
    This is what really did it for me. Seeing my colleagues in Sheffield who earn several thousand less than me with their enormous gardens and spacious houses. The London weighting doesn't even come close to covering the increased living costs but it's also unfair that someone who lives in Manchester for instance doesn't get an increase too. 

I rarely work from home but are based at home. My company pays an annual Homeworkers Utility Allowance, currently £216 pa. For those who don't get that the Inland Revenue pays £150 off your tax return.
  • Does anyone on here receive it?

I receive it but it hasn't been increased for well over 5 years now. Just wondered what others do
    some are a percentage of salary, some a fixed sum .. I prefer the latter as the poorest paid get the same allowance as the highest earners
  • Does anyone on here receive it?

some are a percentage of salary, some a fixed sum .. I prefer the latter as the poorest paid get the same allowance as the highest earners
     I agree. However the set amount should be adjusted as the cost of living in London rises.
    It clearly isn't in most places.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yep, NHS pay LW. 
  • Yep, NHS pay LW. 
    Just retired from NHS and was inner London Weighting.As I recall is was a percent of salary that was capped at around £6,500.

NHS staff are in salary bands and when I moved from band 6 to 7 on spine point 1, I reached the LW cap.

• Kap10 said:
    Yep, NHS pay LW. 
    Just retired from NHS and was inner London Weighting.As I recall is was a percent of salary that was capped at around £6,500.

NHS staff are in salary bands and when I moved from band 6 to 7 on spine point 1, I reached the LW cap.

Thats correct, I'm on a 7. I thought it rather generous and considering what some get or dont above.