Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Deptford High Street

not just in London or in the country but voted as one of the coolest streets in the whole world!

Number 17, who'd a thought it.  

https://www.timeout.com/things-to-do/coolest-streets-in-the-world

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62693537

Comments

• Blimey when I worked there in the late 70s it was scary :)
  • edited September 2022
    My Dad used to own a large news agents on the High Street, early eighties. 
  • my grandad had a butchers shop there in the 50s & 60s
  • edited September 2022
    I miss the egg shop.
  • I miss the egg shop.
    Which used to be next to The Codfather fishmongers, now also gone I think.
  • Not the first time Deptford High Street has been recognised globally: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/travel/22surfacing.html

Lived there in 2006. Preferred it then to now. Lots more bookies these days, including Paddy Power taking over the Deptford Arms site, which used to be one of the highlights of the street.
  • The high street on market day is still
    pretty bad but having a beer in the arches is a cool place to drink 
  • edited September 2022
    Used to live over a shop next door to Manzes and climb out via my bedroom window and back wall when I hadn't paid my rent.
  • Personally, not a fan of the area at all really. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I worked under an arch in Ffinch Street, Manzes just across the road. 
    Never thought of the place as cool...more of a....????
  • edited September 2022
    Coincidentally, went there on Saturday morning for the 1st time in over 40 years and had a coffee in The Waiting Room. 
  • edited September 2022
    The wandering drug addicts really add to the ambiance when you sit outside enjoying your IPA.
  • Having the deptford market yard area has improved it a fair bit. before i think it was just a private car park. 
  • one of the last cheaper areas to live in that's within a stone's throw of central london, so all the hipsters are moving in. Don't think it will quite go as far as shoreditch but is definitely the new peckham.
  • My missus was raised in Douglas Way - I won't tell her this though as she has always been adamant Deptford was brilliant until Lewisham Council took over!
  • Sponsored links:

• one of the last cheaper areas to live in that's within a stone's throw of central london, so all the hipsters are moving in. Don't think it will quite go as far as shoreditch but is definitely the new peckham.
    Peckham is a scary place.
  • Nonsense.
  • Vincenzo said:
    I love Deptford - from the Dog & Bell to the Royal Albert and the Birds Nest. Like the High Street and proper junk market too. Fantastic beer available throughout the market yard. Two great tap rooms in Villages and Little Faith. Watching Steam Down at the Matchstick Piehouse is as good a live music night as is available anywhere in London. If that's a dump, I wish I lived in one.
    I was referring to the high street, where the job centre was closed down and replaced by a hipster pub named the job centre, which many view as a middle finger to the local community. Down the side streets you'll find an old man sniffing glue that you can set your watch to. I don't think I've ever been to the Sainsburys without seeing a crack head trying to shop lift. It's covered in graffiti and stinks of fish and despair.

Villages does decent beer, thankfully they sell it at other pubs so you don't have to drink it in an old Vauxhall Viva seat.

• Was always told by family members from the area that the creek divided the Millwall and Charlton ‘manors’. Seeing as the high street is on our side we’ll claim that 😉
  • Was always told by family members from the area that the creek divided the Millwall and Charlton ‘manors’. Seeing as the high street is on our side we’ll claim that 😉

I would be fine with that if I wasn't on that side of the creek myself.  :s

The creek is the border between Greenwich and Lewisham so your family member is probably right.
  • edited September 2022
    Yes the Creek is effectively the border between The Cowboys and The Bandits  :D
    There's few good reasons to cross into the Badlands, unless you're on a train to London Bridge and beyond.
  • Can’t believe what I’m reading about Deptford, once you’d been there, you never went back!
  • edited September 2022
    Vincenzo said:
    Nonsense.
    You must be blind then.

• Vincenzo said:
    I love Deptford - from the Dog & Bell to the Royal Albert and the Birds Nest. Like the High Street and proper junk market too. Fantastic beer available throughout the market yard. Two great tap rooms in Villages and Little Faith. Watching Steam Down at the Matchstick Piehouse is as good a live music night as is available anywhere in London. If that's a dump, I wish I lived in one.
    I was referring to the high street, where the job centre was closed down and replaced by a hipster pub named the job centre, which many view as a middle finger to the local community. Down the side streets you'll find an old man sniffing glue that you can set your watch to. I don't think I've ever been to the Sainsburys without seeing a crack head trying to shop lift. It's covered in graffiti and stinks of fish and despair.

Villages does decent beer, thankfully they sell it at other pubs so you don't have to drink it in an old Vauxhall Viva seat.

3 weeks ago there was a stabbing in Morrisons car park in Peckham, at 3.50 in the afternoon!  Shopping is not safe there.
    Peckham may make Deptford look like Kensington  but SE8 is not good.