Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Travel to Canada

Just a quick question ( on behalf of my wife, I’m not going !) 

Currency, basically. I’ve read something about foreign bank debit cards not working on some Canadian payment  networks, is this an issue? Otherwise would you get much/any dollars before you go or can one rely on ATMs.?

She is going to Toronto, so if anyone has anything else that the unsuspecting traveller should know, do please reveal it.  :D. I’ve been to Toronto albeit a long time ago now, but I believe it remains a pretty civilised place all round. 

Cheers all

Comments

• Great city. Worked a lot there over recent years. Never had an issue with cards IIRC.
  • I went in May & used a pre loaded Monzo card. I had no problems. 
  • Just got back from Vancouver for work.  No issue paying for stuff on card, the odd place didn’t take Amex, but very similar to over here.  I got on public transport using it so would imagine it will be okay in Toronto. 

• Make sure she does her arrive Can. Download the app.  
  • So basically no need to get dollars before leaving? ATM a little cash at the airport then use debit card freely?
  • We went to Vancouver in 2019 and had no problems with a visa debit card (Lloyds). But when we went to San Franciso (USA I know..) earlier this year had lots of problems. they were usually remedied with putting in the pin number, although had to use cash twice. I'd get some dollars at an ATM just to cover. Vancouver was lovely as were the Canadians. Hope she has a good time.
  • The best bet is to ask the issuer. Does she have a credit card as backup? 
  • Been to Toronto a couple of times recently, no issues at all using/withdrawing cash with my Barclays debit card or AMEX credit cards. 
  • The best bet is to ask the issuer. Does she have a credit card as backup? 
    Indeed, she is going to do that, as she does not have a credit card, and her Czech bank is a bit old skool. 
  • My home town. Recent visits have had no problems with bank cards.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am flying there on Thursday for the film festival.  Never had an issue with a card not working.
  • My home town. Recent visits have had no problems with bank cards.
    Is it really true that you can get from the airport to downtown by train for about £3 ???
  • edited September 2022
  • edited September 2022
    My home town. Recent visits have had no problems with bank cards.
    Is it really true that you can get from the airport to downtown by train for about £3 ???
    It's about $12 CAD one way. It's called the UP Train and goes into Union Station which is right in downtown.

https://www.upexpress.com/
  • The Up doesn't run super late though, so if your wife is landing in the evening make sure to check the train schedule. A Taxi to downtown is substantially more expensive (think the last one I had to use for work was about $60 to $70).

Be prepared for chaos at Pearson airport as well. Thing may be getting better but there were staff shortages when I was there in July and baggage handling seemed to be suffering worst of all - took over an hour for my bag to come off the plane.
  • Just a quick question ( on behalf of my wife, I’m not going !) 

Currency, basically. I’ve read something about foreign bank debit cards not working on some Canadian payment  networks, is this an issue? Otherwise would you get much/any dollars before you go or can one rely on ATMs.?

She is going to Toronto, so if anyone has anything else that the unsuspecting traveller should know, do please reveal it.  :D. I’ve been to Toronto albeit a long time ago now, but I believe it remains a pretty civilised place all round. 

Cheers all

A 4/5 day train journey from Toronto(ontario) to British Colombia is beautiful and outstanding. A perfect journey

She might want to get the vip normal bed service. 

The bad smell of my feet may still be present in the seats