Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cost of living crisis

I didn't want hijack the energy crisis thread so started a new one specifically for the rising cost of visiting the supermarket.

I’ve just returned from a weekly trip to Asda.  Yes it’s a given that everything is going up in price but what inspired me to write this was today we needed to buy some toilet rolls. Now I generally don’t take too much notice but today we paid £9.30 for 24 Asda own brand (Shades). That’s £9.30 ffs. It will soon be cheaper to wipe yer arse with £5 notes. 

Comments

• The longer House of Commoners is kept closed, the more we're going to have to discuss politics on the main board. 

I do suspect we'll all be largely in agreement at least. 
  • I wonder how much longer Tesco will keep their meal deals at £3 for. 
  • For many years I've always bought toilet rolls (amongst other things like washing liquid) in Makro. last time (about 3 weeks ago) it's was £9 something for 36 Andrex on a buy one get one free so 72. Will look next time how much they've gone up to. 
  • I didn't want hijack the energy crisis thread so started a new one specifically for the rising cost of visiting the supermarket.

I’ve just returned from a weekly trip to Asda.  Yes it’s a given that everything is going up in price but what inspired me to write this was today we needed to buy some toilet rolls. Now I generally don’t take too much notice but today we paid £9.30 for 24 Asda own brand (Shades). That’s £9.30 ffs. It will soon be cheaper to wipe yer arse with £5 notes. 
    41p per bog roll. Doesn’t sound ridiculous to me. Just had a look on Amazon and looks like you did well with that price at Asda.
  • Fresh moss is very good arse wiping material. You have to lift it off some rock or the trunk of a tree but it has cleansing and astringent qualities for the bum. Best after a bit of rain.
    Can be buried in the hole you dig for your droppings and then diminishes organically.
    One problem with eating roadkill and pigeons is that is no good for vegetarians.
    Boiled grass is no alternative because of the cost of heating at home. Best to break up bits of your furniture and make a little fire outside on a traffic island or on the green space opposite the Houses of Parliament, maybe In the park near Buckingham Palace.
  • 750g of Lurpak.
    £7.25.

• MrWalker said:
    750g of Lurpak.
    £7.25.

Beluga caviar is on the rise as well.
  • MrWalker said:
    750g of Lurpak.
    £7.25.

£5 in Sainsburys this weekend for 750g 
  • edited September 2022
    Ever since I graduated the economy has just been perpetually shit. I don't think we'll ever live through boom years again
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Ever since I graduated the economy has just been perpetually shit. I don't think we'll ever live through boom years again
    I think you will mate.
    But unfortunately not for at least another decade. 
  • Chunes said:
    Putin is working on it (literally).  :|
  • Anyone received any assistance from the companies they work for?

Ours have bought our pay negotiations forward from the usual November and are also offering us a lump sum on top of any deal to help.
  • Wouldn’t wipe me arse with lurpak or caviar 
  • Wouldn’t wipe me arse with lurpak or caviar 
    Not would shooters at those prices!
  • I wonder how much longer Tesco will keep their meal deals at £3 for. 
    They aren't they're 3.50, 3 with a club card. How many people pop out or are out and about and don't have the club card on them, and haven't downloaded it on their phone, or can't be arsed with the faf of it all.

Any a recession is coming soon so at least everything will drop in price for a bit 
  • clubcard is very useful to have, ASDA have just launched an app only scheme called ASDA rewards. I don't know how good the asda one is yet.
  • Chunes said:
    Even in the good times of a booming economy no one told me I was experiencing the good times. Fingers crossed for the next cycle, I'll probably be retired by then.

Next week after Liz meets Liz @ Balmoral all will be fine I expect, not.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    I wonder how much longer Tesco will keep their meal deals at £3 for. 
    They aren't they're 3.50, 3 with a club card. How many people pop out or are out and about and don't have the club card on them, and haven't downloaded it on their phone, or can't be arsed with the faf of it all.

Any a recession is coming soon so at least everything will drop in price for a bit 
    I don't think that's how stagflation works.
  • sam3110 said:
    I wonder how much longer Tesco will keep their meal deals at £3 for. 

I don't think that's how stagflation works.
    It's what people keep telling me, anyway. (FWIW I think we're all fucked anyway) 
  • edited September 2022
    Had my Barnet trimmed lunchtime. Since earlier this year my £10 haircut went up to £12 and today I was told it was £14 (but she let me off anyway). So a 40% increase in 6 months or so.

I have passed on the good news to Mrs BA that her lockdown barbering practice has not been in vain and her services will once again be required.

She's thrilled...
  • edited September 2022
    I'll second that. DanePak and Nordpak are very good alternatives at Lidl and Aldi.
  • I'll second that. DanePak and Nordpak are very good alternatives at Lidl and Aldi.
    I’ll third that.
  • I'll second that. DanePak and Nordpak are very good alternatives at Lidl and Aldi.
    Nordpak that’s the one!  

Other things in Aldi worth a punt:

Gravy granules (massive pot cost next to nothing)
    Stock cubes (as above lasts ages dead cheap)
    Tinned tomatoes
    Washing up liquid
    Cold cooked meats (ham slices beef etc)

Nordpak that’s the one!  

Other things in Aldi worth a punt:

Gravy granules (massive pot cost next to nothing)
    Stock cubes (as above lasts ages dead cheap)
    Tinned tomatoes
    Washing up liquid
    Cold cooked meats (ham slices beef etc)

Also good at ALDI...
    Sweetcorn and tinned stuff, passata and purees
    Their fruit and veg generally, 
    Their own brand crisps are very nice
    Their nappies and baby wipes are very good as well, nowhere as expensive as elsewhere and perfect for deadline day bedwetting 😉.