Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football Dreams the Academy C4 9pm

Series about Palace Academy - looks good tbf.

Comments

• Very enjoyable.
  • An interesting watch.
  • Palace? i’ll pass then. It was tough enough watching Ted Lasso!
  • The sky one this week was far better 
  • What was that strangled chicken on their badge?
  • my sister in laws stepson is in that age group, one of 2 goalies they kept on 
    palace send a driver to get him from his home for training when the old man can't get him there from their home in Surrey (funnily enough)
    his old man was at Chelsea but never made a first team appearance , he played for AFC Wimbledon early 2000's 
    The kid has turned up here in palace clothes and been abused , he's a Chelsea fan 
  • No thanks .I’d rather watch Love Island 
  • Been watching it.  Yes...shame it's Palace but it's a great watch ... 1% make it to the Premier league.  Gives a good insight into the pressures these young kids are under.
  • The equivalent show on Sky (One Shot) was an interesting watch. Focussed on slightly older players who had been scouted. Also featured the "over enthusiastic parent" issue which was cringeworthy. Worth a watch as well.
  • Sorry, i'd feel dirty!
  • Sponsored links:

Is that also focused on Palace?
    Is that also focused on Palace?
    No the whole of south London. 
  • I found it a bit upsetting to watch the pressure being put on an 8 year old. In my mind it is a form of abuse. What I see happen in many cases is when the child is old enough to say F off, they do when their parents are so controlling and pushy. They take all the joy out of the game for the kid.
    Some of the parents are awful.
  • I'd rather watch German football.
  • A parent's job should be about supporting and managing expectations. The reality is that 99% of any year group will not make it as a professional. That said, there are very few that do become pros without the influence and support of a parent.

The journey is great all the time that a child remains in that 1% because of the peer adulation that comes from being in that position. I know of a lad (my son's age) who was at Palace and who captained the U14s when he was from the year below. Going from that to being told at 15 that he was being released would have been devastating for him. He ended up at Sutton but is now at Wimbledon - there is still no certainty that he will become an established pro but the dream leaves on. For others, it is over already and some of those never kick a ball again such is the impact of rejection. And that is very sad.
  • Gave up after a few minutes of the first episode. I can never bring myself to believe that Beckenham is in South London.
  • Gave up after a few minutes of the first episode. I can never bring myself to believe that Beckenham is in South London.
    It's even worse when one thinks that the Kent County Ground is smack bang next door and Kent allows them, at times, to use the facilities!
  • edited August 2022
    Get out of it. You'd have to pay me to watch. All that garish stripey shit makes me sick. I fast forward past them  on MOTD (win or lose, I don't want to know) so why would I watch their bunch of kids?
  • Sponsored links:

• Finally round to watching this... This is fantastic.