Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic vs Derby County | Saturday 6th August 2022 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Derby County
Saturday 6th August 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Chris Pollard

Introduction
Well we're underway, the first of forty six games is done and dusted, we've now got another mammoth season to look forward to - Charlton travelled to Accrington knowing it was going to be a tough venue, and should have returned to SE7 with all three points... It wasn't to be though, once again we snatched a draw from the jaws of victory, conceding a late (but perhaps deserved) equaliser at the death - Its time though to mark the start of a new campaign at the Valley, with newly relegated: Derby County our first visitors to our small corner of London.

The Opposition: Derby County (6th) | Interim Manager: Liam Rosenior
Previous Result: Derby County 1-0 Oxford United
Ground: Pride Park

The Derby Fans: "Game really changed when Rosenior brought on Sibley" - "was the final piece of the puzzle required to break down Oxford, who couldn't match his energy" - "Very difficult / dogged game, typical 1-0 performance."

The Opposing Manager: "A lack of attention to detail, in small moments cost Oxford, lose that concentration against good players, they will punish you - The goal was a wonderful finish, but what do you expect... He's a Premier League player"

The Situation: Lets be honest here, Derby County are extremely lucky to be taking part in any form of Football this season, for the last year their situation has been pretty bleak, and for large periods looked very likely to be heading the way of Bury FC - Especially when you take into account the likes of Matt Southall and friends who were sniffing around the club.. New (local) owners have come in though, perhaps at the right time, and have signed eleven players (including the dangerous: Conor Hourihane) in just one month, all without a penny being spent on Transfer Fees.

Focus On... Liam Rosenior: I mean we all know his Dad dont we... Leroy Rosenior is famous for being Torquay Manager for just ten minutes. His Son equally had a good career as a player, and has now made the step up taking interim charge, going from SKY pundit / Derby Assistant Manager, what with Wayne Rooney returning Stateside... Liam has certainly made an impressive start, a 1-0 win on the opening day of the season against a tough Oxford side, whilst Pre-Season saw a mixture of results (two wins / three defeats) which should never be overly read into.

Derby are a wounded animal, and whilst they are the Rams, could well be dark horses as they look to quickly end a first spell at this level in 34-years.

Charlton Team News
There weren't really any surprises to the team that started against Accrington last time out... With Conor McGrandles and Jack Payne still needing minutes, it was left to Scott Fraser | George Dobson and Albie Morgan to start in the middle of the pitch, and I'd expect similar again for at least another week, with McGrandles and Payne getting those much needed minutes in the League Cup next midweek.

Elsewhere and the team really picked itself, and will no doubt do so again this coming week... Jaiyesimi vs Kirk perhaps remains the one debatable area on the pitch, although the former has the early advantage what with grabbing an assist on Saturday - New Academy "hero" Miles Leaburn, will surely continue to earn more minutes from the bench, provided Chuks Aneke remains out injured.

Wollacott
Clare - Inniss - O'Connell - Sessegnon
Morgan - Dobson - Fraser
Payne - Stockley - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray | Lavelle | Gilbey | McGrandles | Jaiyesimi | Kirk | Leaburn

Prediction
Its understandable that Ben Garner will want that first Charlton victory under his belt as soon as possible, so that he doesnt, at the very least, put needless pressure on himself... We came so close to achieving that target at Accrington... These next two games though, could even now, be pivotal in suggesting how our season may pan out.

Comments

• Very different proposition / test this.

Last week we played a club the size of Welling Utd in front of 2k fans.

This week we play a club who had 31k fans at their opening day victory against Oxford.

We’ll have to up our game to get a win but the Valley should be rocking.

2-1 to the addicks! Payne with the winner.
  • Judging by a Derby forum they have sold out away end

They have a prediction thread, and majority predict either Charlton win or a draw

I reckon that The Valley is going to see a return of the ‘Leaburn, Leaburn, Leaburn’ chant on Saturday as he pops up with 2 goals and we win 2-0

COYR
  • Excellent preview as always, FA.

I fancy a narrow and nervy home win. 1-0 with Stockley getting the goal. 
  • Heart hopes for a Charlton win but sadly my head tells me Derby will be too strong for us. They have recruited well this season and will be backed by a sold out away end.

Charlton 1 Derby 2
  • Leeeaaaaaaburn with a late winner in front of the Covered End
  • Last we showed lots of "green shoots" in terms of improvement from the dross we had been inflicted last season and for me alot to be positive about. However I think Derby will be too strong for us at the moment and a draw would be a great result
  • We won't see Derby next season. 

Derby 1-0 Charlton. But we'll look good in the opening 30 minutes like we did last week. Subs will show the difference in squad quality. 
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-0 Charlton. CBT 

Will be a tough game for sure but I think this a game we can win. Accrington is a difficult place to go which is backed by the stats. We just need to make The Valley a fortress which will make the Accy point so much more valuable. 
  • What makes you think Payne will start in that position FA?  I thought he was one of the midfield three?

I think we’ll see the same XI personally, with chances to earn your place coming in the EFL cup on Tuesday.
    Yeah I think we'll see the same team in all honesty, but thought I'd put Payne there as a surprise from Garner in the line up.
  • What makes you think Payne will start in that position FA?  I thought he was one of the midfield three?

I think we’ll see the same XI personally, with chances to earn your place coming in the EFL cup on Tuesday.
    Yeah I think we'll see the same team in all honesty, but thought I'd put Payne there as a surprise from Garner in the line up.
    I can see why you have done it-as he has a very marginally better goalscoring record than the other candidates. But having to play midfielders out of position as strikers just reveals the problem we have in the goalscorer department. 0-2 to Derby and a desperate effort next week by the management to get a goalscorer in before we are ten points behind the leaders on Sept 4.

Ah okay, i thought perhaps he can actually play there.  
  • Charlton 0-1 Derby - Doom mongers out in force. 
  • Rothko said:
    Derby and huffed and puffed for their win on Saturday at home, didn't exactly look convincing, so lets not big them up massively 

To be fair it was against a team that will finish in the top 8.  We huffed and puffed for a draw against a team that won't.

If Derby come and try and out football us and try and win, we will probably win.  If they come for a point and shithouse us they will probably get all 3.

I don't know if it was the team selection but even before kick off last Saturday I felt more deflated than I had all pre-season.  Maybe it was just a dose of reality?
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Derby and huffed and puffed for their win on Saturday at home, didn't exactly look convincing, so lets not big them up massively 

To be fair it was against a team that will finish in the top 8.  We huffed and puffed for a draw against a team that won't.

If Derby come and try and out football us and try and win, we will probably win.  If they come for a point and shithouse us they will probably get all 3.

I don't know if it was the team selection but even before kick off last Saturday I felt more deflated than I had all pre-season.  Maybe it was just a dose of reality?
    100%
  • An Oxford friend didn't reckon they were up to much last weekend. I think they'll struggle for promotion this season with their cobbled together squad. I fancy us. 2-1 Charlton.
  • Think it will same starting 11 as last week. Saturday will be tough and really need to get a win on the board, as our toughest test of the season will be the following week at Sheffield.

2-1 win 

• Very nice preview but tragically, my eldest son is getting married in Walworth on Saturday at 3pm.

Will try to make the second half but realistically I fear I may be dependent on the match thread. 

For what it's worth, my prediction is a total mismatch and a painful afternoon but I think Charlton will win 1-0.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

I’d expect you’d have to huff and puff for 90 minutes away to a mid table side like Accrington no matter who you are.  

I’d say both ours and Derby’s results aren’t that different, in fact you could argue our fixture was tougher seen as Accrington notched up 48 points at home last season to Oxfords 31 points away.
    We got zero points from either but Oxford were significantly better based purely on the games against us.
  • I'm placing my faith in BG for the time being. 3-1 to us.