Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alexandra Popp

Haven't seen anything about her on other threads ... so, here goes ...

Two questions:

1) Would the apparent turning point in women's football (and women's sport) have come about if Popp hadn't got injured in the pre-match warm up?

2) Were any men offended by her media appearance with false moustache and deep voice?  I mention it only because, if some guy had done the same thing with blonde wig and false tits, the World would be in uproar.

Comments

• i have no opinion on point two as it is news to me.

point one. Yes, having your top scorer injured in the pre match warm up may have slightly messed up the team talk
  • edited July 2022
    Fair play to Popp.  I loved it.

MSN

But imagine ... oh, I don't know ... Paul Gascoigne in wig and falsies.

Meltdown City.
  • 1) We’ll never know. 

2) know nothing about it. 
  • 1)Yes

2) Only snowflakes
  • 1) You can't rewrite history.  However one of Bright's best attributes she is good in the air, so I think she would have negated Popp's aerial presence.  The Germans would not have been so mobile upfront had she played.     

2)  Maybe this question is the problem and those like it in the world today.   Shock horror nonsense, because someone makes a humorous point as she did. 
  • 2. Shocking video, that moustache was no very Germanic, more 1950s spiv.  After seeing the initial post I was expecting Italia 90 Rudi Voller.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Haven't seen anything about her on other threads ... so, here goes ...

Two questions:

1) Would the apparent turning point in women's football (and women's sport) have come about if Popp hadn't got injured in the pre-match warm up?

2) Were any men offended by her media appearance with false moustache and deep voice?  I mention it only because, if some guy had done the same thing with blonde wig and false tits, the World would be in uproar.
    2. Maybe we need to look at why she felt it necessary after a barrage of abuse that said she should be playing in the mens team.
  • edited August 2022
    Why did you feel the need to a new thread, when this question could be asked on the Womens Euros thread?

No doubt you wanted a strong dose of attention!!

Popp missing has potentially helped give us an advantage in winning the Euros... Same with Spain losing Alexia Putellas before the Tournament started, could argue either one of those would have been the difference in defeating England...

Equally there is a pathetic myth in International Football saying that to win the competition, you have to beat the best teams which is bullshit, as no one remembers the losers - England had similar luck at the last two Major Tournaments, when they had slightly favourable routes to the latter stages of the Tournament, same could be said for Portugal when they played us in 2004 and 2006, when we lost Rooney to injury and a shocking red card.

As for point two... The issue becomes an issue when offence gets taken, usually by the media who are looking to whip up the anger of the mugs... I mean the mob... Who get easily offended by this sort of thing - For example, I knew nothing about it until you said, and still dont care.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1) Well done to the Lionesses 
    2) Well done to the Lionesses

Let's all celebrate this fine achievement 
  • Why did you feel the need to a new thread, when this question could be asked on the Womens Euros thread?

No doubt you wanted a strong dose of attention!!

Popp missing has potentially helped give us an advantage in winning the Euros... Same with Spain losing Alexia Putellas before the Tournament started, could argue either one of those would have been the difference in defeating England...

Equally there is a pathetic myth in International Football saying that to win the competition, you have to beat the best teams which is bullshit, as no one remembers the losers - England had similar luck at the last two Major Tournaments, when they had slightly favourable routes to the latter stages of the Tournament, same could be said for Portugal when they played us in 2004 and 2006, when we lost Rooney to injury and a shocking red card.

As for point two... The issue becomes an issue when offence gets taken, usually by the media who are looking to whip up the anger of the mugs... I mean the mob... Who get easily offended by this sort of thing - For example, I knew nothing about it until you said, and still dont care.
    If you see a thread like this, started after - let’s say - 10pm, I normally assume alcohol is a significant contributing factor.
  • too much sherry started this thread. 
  • Had the football boot been on the other foot, and a male player was being trolled that he should be playing in the women's team, then I would have no problem with him turning up for an interview wearing falsies and speaking falsetto.  If he had the balls to do so...

Context is everything.
  • 1. Maybe not,Germany certainly missed some good chances.  But so what?  That's sport, its mostly skill and a bit of luck, injuries happen.

2. It was fine.  Funny, in fact.