Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Accrington v Charlton | July 30, 2022

edited July 2022 in General Charlton
The 2022 season kicked off for the Addicks at Accrington Stanley, with a starting line up comprised mostly of revenants from last season, but with key changes at the back. Our possession-based football overwhelmed Accrington at times, but it took over half an hour before it showed dividends. Quick movement travelling the length of the pitch resulted in a great team effort, with Fraser finding the back of the net. 

The second half was a different story. Accrington made changes to adapt and began to assert themselves. Within the first minute, Accrington had a clear chance they should probably have converted. We fended them off as best we could, but it wasn’t until extra time (and a number of substitutions later) that we found another opening. A brilliant lofted cross from Payne fell straight to the marauding big man on his debut. Darting from the far side, young Leaburn nodded the ball into the back of the net in front of the travelling fans, who lost themselves in what seemed to be the winner. Unfortunately, it wasn’t to be, because in the euphoria to follow, we left big gaps at the back that Accrington quickly exploited. No more than a minute or so after resuming, Accrington pushed forward into the gaps and found an equaliser.

Last season our biggest problem was consistent calamitous defending. This year, we may solve that with more composure on the ball, but it’s unlikely we’ll see many clean sheets. 

Acc. Stanley 2 Charlton 2

Over to you.

Comments

• Shame we could not hold on.

• @LoOkOuT you stole my post match thread you cheeky git.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well he already improved on the results last season against these .. nasty team nasty little ground nearly nicked it but the old game of two half’s .. and 2-2 most likely fair result . But lots of positives to take from BG first game and that’s the important thing 
  • I’d have taken a draw before kick off, but the circumstances by the which it came about are incredibly frustrating. We’ve all been here before with this feeling, haven’t we?

Flashes of what might be good this season, but some pretty poor stuff as well, especially in defence. Game would’ve been lost already if not for Wollacott. 

Delighted for Leaburn, it was a bright cameo from him, and the goal was straight out of his Dad’s play book. 

Business to be done and lots of the season left to build and improve, but we looked every bit a mid table team today. A point to start the season could be worse though. 

• Naive to throw that away, looked good in spells and subs staked claims, more positive than negatives but hard to take them after being so close to an excellent result
  • Sponsored links:

• Unable to close a game out - what a waste...
  • edited July 2022
    Draw was the fair result, still shit to drop 2 points like that. 

Well done Miles and Scott. 

First half we were much better, second half they were better.
  • Been driving down to Cornwall for most of the day. Only got into our holiday lodge around 4.30 to then hear we had been pegged back to 1-1. Golfie Jnr went delirious when Leaburn then scored what must be the winner at 90+4. How can we not hold onto a lead for 90 seconds. Had us down for a 1-1 so wasn't far wrong. 

As I've said until I'm blue in the face......until we can bolster our attack we wont be scoring enough goals to win games. End of.
    Tbf getting a goal that late should be a winner
  • edited July 2022
    We didn't deserve to go 2-1
    I thought we did actually... When you take into account the second half as a whole then I'd agree.

And whilst people thought that that subs were slow and late (Match Thread), its worth pointing out that Leaburn was set to come on, just as Accrington scored, at least going by Airman Brown's tweet at the time.

Once those subs got made, I thought we turned the tide with the fresher legs, and by the time we got to injury time, thought we'd actually taken back control of the game a lot more than what we had done that half.
  • I said in the pre-match I'd be happy with a point, so I cant be disappointed, however for 2 mins it looked as though we may get 3....but we are on our way. Only 2 teams in League 1 won away from home and 4 (including us) drew.
    Yep lessons to be learnt on defending, but look at it sensibly a wet day up at AS playing against a big team using direct football.....not many teams will take a point from them up there. Right now onto next week.
  • Sadly this is just what I predicted a few weeks ago, we lack that experience and characters to see out games.

But a point on the road is not too bad. But we need more experience in the side or games like this will happen again.
  • Disapointing to concede that second goal but we didn't deserve three points.