Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky Glass

Has anybody purchased Sky Glass and is it recommended? I assume that there’s access to all the football channels and that it includes Sky on the go? The other box to tick is access to Sky football via VPN when abroad?

Comments

• The fact that it doesn't record was a deal breaker for me. 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    The fact that it doesn't record was a deal breaker for me. 
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    It initially put me off,but but the playlist scenario works quite well when you get used to it.
  • The fact you have to have their TV puts me off. Apparently they will be bringing out a puck only option soon at which point I may consider it.
  • I’ve had glass for some months now. It does take a bit of getting use to as nothing is recorded but virtually everything is there to stream. I don’t miss recordings now. 
    The telly is ok built In sound bar and 4K. Not as good as my others so I put it in one of my bedrooms. 
    The reason I got it was for the 4K and sound fields, 
    (atmos, imax and others),  streaming around the house. The Sky Q box only does 4K on the main box, the mini boxes are 720i which I always thought a bit of a poor show. 
    Also the pucks can be hidden from view so a bit neater, now cables or boxes on view, just the TVs. 
  • I’ve had glass for some months now. It does take a bit of getting use to as nothing is recorded but virtually everything is there to stream. I don’t miss recordings now. 
    The telly is ok built In sound bar and 4K. Not as good as my others so I put it in one of my bedrooms. 
    (atmos, imax and others),  streaming around the house. The Sky Q box only does 4K on the main box, the mini boxes are 720i which I always thought a bit of a poor show. 
    Also the pucks can be hidden from view so a bit neater, now cables or boxes on view, just the TVs. 
    Could you go back and watch something like the Doncaster play off semi finals on glass? just curious if the streaming option has just as good a back catalogue of programs as the capability of the Q box to record and keep forever even if not being shown anywhere on live TV?
    Could you go back and watch something like the Doncaster play off semi finals on glass? just curious if the streaming option has just as good a back catalogue of programs as the capability of the Q box to record and keep forever even if not being shown anywhere on live TV?
    I had a quick look and I couldn’t find it. So not as good as I thought.

• edited August 2022
    CAFCTrev said:
    It initially put me off,but but the playlist scenario works quite well when you get used to it.

Yeah but youre at the mercy of the content being kept available by the providers, that isn't an issue when you can record. As mentioned earlier sporting events are particularly vulnerable to this, our playoff semi is only 3 years ago and not available on Sky Glass.

All Sky Q remotes are bluetooth, so once paired you don't need the boxes on show.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:

Yeah but youre at the mercy of the content being kept available by the providers, that isn't an issue when you can record. As mentioned earlier sporting events are particularly vulnerable to this, our playoff semi is only 3 years ago and not available on Sky Glass.
    Well said. This is the biggest issue of all and shouldn't even be an issue. To be fair Sky Q doesn't have the Doncaster semis available anymore either but at least if you recorded it 3 years ago you'd still have it while on Glass it would drop off your playlist. If Sky at least kept it available to view on Glass it would eliminate the need to record anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd quite like a feature where you can plug in your own memory card to record programmes. Would be very portable annd easy to store and keep. Alongside current features of course. This goes beyond the limitations of glass but covers you when you get a new box etc...
  • Can you plug in a DVD player?
  • Unless your broadband is top notch don’t even consider it.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I’ve had glass for some months now. It does take a bit of getting use to as nothing is recorded but virtually everything is there to stream. I don’t miss recordings now. 

All Sky Q remotes are bluetooth, so once paired you don't need the boxes on show.
    True and that’s how I had mine but when the two minis  I had needed rebooting it was a bit of a faff, which I had to do with them on quite a few occasions.  

• CAFCTrev said:
    and me. the rest is just a gimmick and depends on your internet connection. 
  • speaking of why does anyone know how to record from Sky box to DVD?  I have plugged in my new DVD record/player and it is  not det up yet as it is looking for channels (analogue) or DB or something that doesn't exist

• I had it with a tv and three PUKS. Was an absolute nightmare. Phoned Sky who sent out a Sky Glass engineer who said it was never going to work properly with an average broadband. He told me seven in ten Glass sales were returned. Sky collected a few days later without any fuss and reinstated Q. 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:

Well said. This is the biggest issue of all and shouldn't even be an issue. To be fair Sky Q doesn't have the Doncaster semis available anymore either but at least if you recorded it 3 years ago you'd still have it while on Glass it would drop off your playlist. If Sky at least kept it available to view on Glass it would eliminate the need to record anything.
    It is a bit annoying that you cant record and keep certain things.The problem is there must be a maximum capacity of storage,and ,our semi final has been mentioned,everyone will have their own favourite which would probably require vastly more space than is possible.Favourites apart,there is a vast array of content available on almost any subject you want.Some of the crime documentaries,Freddie Foreman,Ted Bundy etc. are compulsive viewing,as are the multiple football insights,on players,managers and clubs.If you are bored with the everyday TV there is always something you can find to watch.
  • Now driving me round the bend,keeps going off,stopping and starting,wife is suicidal,beginning to have regrets.
  • Now driving me round the bend,keeps going off,stopping and starting,wife is suicidal,beginning to have regrets.
    Happened with me. Phone up Sky. They know all the problems and will collect the kit free of charge and put you back on Q if applicable 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2022
    Is this the plug in thingy now available?

• edited October 2022
    Is this the plug in thingy now available?

You need a Sky Glass TV as a minimum. Other sets in your hous have what’s called a Puck. It is plug and play to a point but beware this will be untold hassle unless your broadband is way above the national norm. I had glass and it couldn’t work so back it went. Or is this new?
  • This is basically the streaming element stripped out of Sky Glass. Same functionality but you can use without a Sky Glass screen in the set up. 
  • Ross said:
    The fact you have to have their TV puts me off. Apparently they will be bringing out a puck only option soon at which point I may consider it.
    You might as well just get Sky Q then if you're just after something to plug into the telly. At least you can record with it. 
  • If this ever becomes the market share of Sky users that may give them an opportunity to ditch the expensive satellite operation and use our infrastructure to deliver their content. If this ever happens Sky is probably over for me as our mbps won't really be good enough in rural Suffolk !!
  • red10 said:
    If this ever becomes the market share of Sky users that may give them an opportunity to ditch the expensive satellite operation and use our infrastructure to deliver their content. If this ever happens Sky is probably over for me as our mbps won't really be good enough in rural Suffolk !!
    I’m now assuming this is a “version” of Sky Glass without the necessity of buying the Glass TV ? Just the streaming box ? I couldn’t get Glass to work on what’s an average broadband set up (Sky Broadband) I doubt this will be much less bandwidth guzzling. We’re probably ten years from this being suitable for everyone. 
  • edited October 2022
    red10 said:
    If this ever becomes the market share of Sky users that may give them an opportunity to ditch the expensive satellite operation and use our infrastructure to deliver their content. If this ever happens Sky is probably over for me as our mbps won't really be good enough in rural Suffolk !!
    I laugh in the face of your mbps! On a bad day I get 700mbps, on a good day 900mbps. Peasants!

(says a man who three weeks ago could only get 2mbps!)

Rural broadband for the win. Seriously does your local council have a sponsored rural broadband scheme? We are now with Airband FFTTP which was supported by Cheshire East Council and it's a revelation from where we were.

Edit: even so I have no plans to ditch Sky Q box and dish.
  • I'm still using an old box and haven't even progressed to Sky Q. And been with Sky for over 20 years too. "If the cap fits" as they say!
  • I'm still using an old box and haven't even progressed to Sky Q. And been with Sky for over 20 years too. "If the cap fits" as they say!
    I’d say Sky Q is considerably better than what you are currently using.
  • edited October 2022
    Get the app on your phone and google cast.  Why have a single use piece of equipment when you can use your existing tech that is more flexible?