Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Team for 22/23

edited June 2022 in General Charlton
Still lots of work to do but with a couple of defenders joining, it feels like the team for next year is starting to take shape.

What formation will we play? I’m leaning towards believe it’ll be a three up front, whether we see 3-4-3 or 4-3-3.

Current senior options as per below:

GK: MacGillivray, Maynard-Brewer
DF: Lavelle, Inniss, Egbo + new left back
DF/MF: O’Connell, Dobson, Clare
MF: Forster-Caskey, Fraser, Morgan, Gilbey
MF/FW: Kirk, Blackett-Taylor, DJ
FW: Stockley, Aneke, Davison

Comments

• edited June 2022
    3-4-3 could look like

MacGillivray

Dobson - Lavelle - O’Connell

Egbo - Forster-Caskey - Fraser - Blackett-Taylor

DJ - Stockley - Kirk

4-3-3 could look like

MacGillivray

Egbo - Lavelle - O’Connell - NEW

Forster-Caskey - Dobson - Fraser

Blackett-Taylor - Stockley - Kirk
  • DJ
    Oops, added. :-)
  • I hope we’ve got a few more first choice players still to come. Left back the obvious spot but hopefully elsewhere in the team too.
  • Forward line still looks weak, no telling how Kirk will perform and DJ blows hot and cold.  
  • I can't see Dobson playing in a back 3 he is a holding midfielder and our standout player last year lol
  • Forward line still looks weak, no telling how Kirk will perform and DJ blows hot and cold.  
    I think the forward player in the 433 will be the key signing of the whole summer. Has to be better than any of the three we've got. Mendes Gomes might be worth a shout as our annual Luton signing. Get Lavelle on the blower. 
  • Another 2 full-backs, at least one CM, a winger/wide forward and striker the bare minimum, all have to be top players. Can pad the squad out but need another 4 players capable of starting regularly to challenge IMO. 
  • I can’t see us playing 3-4-3 as I don’t think Fraser fits that. I think a central midfield 3 is guaranteed and will most likely be a 4-3-3 but could potentially see a 3-5-2 being used occasionally.

• Sponsored links:

• Still weak in defence and up front really, and we need quality rather than squad players too.

It will be interesting how we line up in preseason, though that initially might be impacted by who we actually have rather than the system we want to play...
  • edited June 2022
    24 hours ish later and this is already out of date. Welcome Joe/Jojo.
  • C’mon you Addicks! I think we’ll shock a few teams in League Two this season.
  • edited June 2022
    I doubt Kirk will be here come the start of the season. If he is, then going by his past performances for us, he won't be of any use 
  • Signing of McGrandles most definitely points to us going with three in the middle.

That could either be a 3-5-2 or a 4-3-3 depending on how the rest of the window looks.
  • So who does everyone think will be our captain this year?
  • edited July 2022
    So who does everyone think will be our captain this year?
    O'Connell or Dobson potentially.

Or captain Caskey 😍😍
  • edited July 2022

After the signings we’ve made, I think this is probably our strongest line-up. 

Thoughts? 
  • TBF that looks pretty good to me
  • Yeah I'd probably agree that's our strongest line up. Cover at the back is still worrying, especially with Egbo out. We have no left-footed defenders so an out and out LB and a LCB complete that. A winger like McKirdy and a decent striker and I'd start to believe a bit more. 
  • Sponsored links:

• After the signings we’ve made, I think this is probably our strongest line-up. 

Thoughts? 

looks good on paper, but not sure Fraser could be an out-and-out cm. Could see that team with McGrandles in and Fraser rotating with Payne
  • Innis ahead of Lavelle for me
  • edited July 2022
    I'm not sold on Egbo, but that is probably mainly due to him having to fill in at LB, and I think Inniss until he gets crocked will be in the first team as well.

Also I wonder where McGrandles fits in. Considering he was wanting to move back up to Scotland, and there were lots of offers for him, so we must have pitched that he would very much be part of first team plans. Sounds like he can play in Dobson's position, but had a much better season when he was more 'box to box'.
  • edited July 2022
    CAFCsayer said:

looks good on paper, but not sure Fraser could be an out-and-out cm. Could see that team with McGrandles in and Fraser rotating with Payne
    He played his best football in that left sided CM position at MK Dons. I think when he signed a lot of people thought he was an out-an-out number 10, but that was never the case. I think it could work well with him in-between Dobson and Payne, in the no8 role dictating play.
  • I think the midfield set up will be more of a 4-3-3 with Fraser on the left and Payne on the right with Dobson deeper. I would probably have Inniss in over Lavelle until he gets injured as well. 

• Wouldn't be surprised if the midfield 3 of choice ends up looking like:

Payne McGrandles Fraser 

• I don't get why so many people are concerned we have too many options in CM. Seriously, after all the injuries we've had over the years?

We could rotate McGrandles, Dobson, Fraser and Payne. If we play with a midfield 3 in every game, they could all still start around 40 games each. If anything, I'd still be concerned if we lose JFC as our 5th and 6th options aren't strong. 
  • edited July 2022
    [new] [new] CBT

Fraser Morgan Payne

Sessegnon EOC Dobson Egbo

Wollacott

is my beautiful dark twisted fantasy

If no new signings, Stockley I *suppose* and DJ and Kirk can fight it out
  • Wouldn't be surprised if the midfield 3 of choice ends up looking like:

Payne McGrandles Fraser 

That midfield would need 3 at the back and wingbacks otherwise would leave us exposed or severely limit the strengths of those players imo
  • Think it is important we do not overlook the fact that we will be able to make 5 subs in a game so you're likely to have a squad of players who will all feature a little more than they otherwise would. It's why if it was down to me, I would keep JFC around because the depth and talent we have in midfield is only a positive thing. Form, injuries, suspensions, and subs all should be taken into consideration.

It's up top where we are very light and heavily imbalanced in defence too. We need a left footer in the squad in defence.