Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Golf coaching

Hi all, by all means take the piss however I'd love some serious suggestions here

My last swing of a gold club on a course ended with me tipping all my clubs into a lake at Upchurch out of hateful frustration at a horrible game. Now my knees are telling me my cricketing and five a side days are numbered with the number getting ever smaller.

I need a sporting pursuit to spend some money on however I have no desire to repeat previous mistakes of having every dickhead giving me titbits that actually make no sense and want to get a decent swing coached into me, for context I had lessons many years ago when, in truth, I wasn't really in the frame of mind to be taught and gained nothing from it. I have hacked and high scored my way round a few courses in the early 2000s and am very much at the beginner stage still. If anyone knows of a good pro ideally in Medway or Maidstone please put me in touch with them. I'd like to be able to accept the offer of a round of golf without disgracing myself or getting myself or anyone else banned from a course, a guy I was working away with did get some success from me with a carrier bag of balls and a field in Stafford back in 2012 and I haven't swung a club since then but I proved to myself I can be coached and taught in this hellish art. 

Comments

• At most decent golf clubs they have a "pro" who charges for lessons. Go into the pro shop at a couple of your local clubs and see what they say. Although based on the areas you are talking about I'm not too sure of the standard of pros - definitely not the municiple ones. Personally I'd look at Wrotham Heath, Wilderness or Knole Park, but they are more Sevenoaks area. 

• West Malling Golf club.
    If you need new clubs too then go there for a fitting.
    I didn’t buy a set there as he turned my fitting into a lesson. Said I didn’t need a new set of clubs.
    way better than buying from American Golf etc.
    turned out to be a really good lesson too.
  • Paul Page - Dartford.
    Absolutely brilliant 
  • isn't there a golf academy next to Dartford's ground that I've heard good things about - I'm similar, love playing golf but 4 kids has meant I've only had 1 round since my 40th birthday weekend (nearly 8 years ago). used to play fairly regularly and handicap at it's best was 14. Always was a bit of a left to right fader and subsequently aimed more out to the left to compensate. (Am left handed but play golf right handed if that makes any difference). In a couple of years when I have a bit more time would love a few lessons just really to assist me in being able to play to a half decent standard.

Never gonna be amazing but just want to be able to go round with some decent handicappers and not embarrass myself!
  • Stacey at Gravesend golf centre is very good (although so popular he is sometimes closed to new clients). He doesn’t over complicate things and also knows there are multiple ways to skin a cat so if one drill doesn’t work he’ll use another to get the same desired outcome. He’s got me from a mid-teen handicap to single figures.
    oh, and make sure you find time to practice as lessons are pointless if you don’t go and practice what you’ve learnt in between lessons. 
  • RenragRed said:
    Stacey at Gravesend golf centre is very good (although so popular he is sometimes closed to new clients). He doesn’t over complicate things and also knows there are multiple ways to skin a cat so if one drill doesn’t work he’ll use another to get the same desired outcome. He’s got me from a mid-teen handicap to single figures.
    oh, and make sure you find time to practice as lessons are pointless if you don’t go and practice what you’ve learnt in between lessons. 
    Couldn’t agree with the practice point more. It won’t bed in straight away. Also, commit to implementing the learnings out on the course - again don’t it to hit the spot immediately but you will get the benefits in the long run.
  • Personally I'd try to pick a club with a county affiliation, coaching should be of a higher standard, one to one and not group lessons are best, stick to one coach and work at what they say, good luck and enjoy the challenge it's a great game to get involved in.
  • David Young at Sidcup Family Golf was very good when I had lessons with him a few years ago
    https://sidcupfamilygolf.com/golf-lessons/
  • edited June 2022
    Carter said:
    Hi all, by all means take the piss however I'd love some serious suggestions here

My last swing of a gold club on a course ended with me tipping all my clubs into a lake at Upchurch out of hateful frustration at a horrible game. Now my knees are telling me my cricketing and five a side days are numbered with the number getting ever smaller.

I need a sporting pursuit to spend some money on however I have no desire to repeat previous mistakes of having every dickhead giving me titbits that actually make no sense and want to get a decent swing coached into me, for context I had lessons many years ago when, in truth, I wasn't really in the frame of mind to be taught and gained nothing from it. I have hacked and high scored my way round a few courses in the early 2000s and am very much at the beginner stage still. If anyone knows of a good pro ideally in Medway or Maidstone please put me in touch with them. I'd like to be able to accept the offer of a round of golf without disgracing myself or getting myself or anyone else banned from a course, a guy I was working away with did get some success from me with a carrier bag of balls and a field in Stafford back in 2012 and I haven't swung a club since then but I proved to myself I can be coached and taught in this hellish art. 
    Hi Carter, one of my mates used to be a club pro and give lessons. I know i was going to get some of him, but can contact him for rates etc? he lives maidstone way and generally plays the Ridge (well with me) and the one just before headcorn. Let me know if you want more details and i'll give him a call, hes a top bloke and recently entered first comp in years and won it. 

Edit- The reason he no longer does it, due to he has a really good job now
  • Sponsored links:

• Another vote for Paul Page. His par 3 course and teaching facility is right next to Dartford FC. A brilliant amateur in his day, Paul beat some bloke called Eldrick Woods in the Walker cup in 91. Nice guy and, most importantly, he speaks plain English when it comes to golf tuition. None of this “coaxial plane out of alignment with your matatarsic hose wrench” type mumbo jumbo. Just good old “hold it like this….point it that way” tuition. 
    It was 1993 US Amateur Championship - Tiger wasn’t playing in the US team in 91 or 93 Walker Cup - Paul Page only played in 93 Walker Cup

Mind you, still great to have that on your golfing CV !!!
  • Another vote for Paul Page. His par 3 course and teaching facility is right next to Dartford FC. A brilliant amateur in his day, Paul beat some bloke called Eldrick Woods in the Walker cup in 91. Nice guy and, most importantly, he speaks plain English when it comes to golf tuition. None of this “coaxial plane out of alignment with your matatarsic hose wrench” type mumbo jumbo. Just good old “hold it like this….point it that way” tuition. 
    It was 1993 US Amateur Championship - Tiger wasn’t playing in the US team in 91 or 93 Walker Cup - Paul Page only played in 93 Walker Cup

Cheers @l@Lordflashheart.  I stand corrected  (which is something I can say with authority🤣🤣🤣 🦵)
  • Another vote for David Young at Sidcup Family Golf.
  • edited June 2022
    Another vote for Paul Page. His par 3 course and teaching facility is right next to Dartford FC. A brilliant amateur in his day, Paul beat some bloke called Eldrick Woods in the Walker cup in 91. Nice guy and, most importantly, he speaks plain English when it comes to golf tuition. None of this “coaxial plane out of alignment with your matatarsic hose wrench” type mumbo jumbo. Just good old “hold it like this….point it that way” tuition. 

Cheers @l@Lordflashheart.  I stand corrected  (which is something I can say with authority🤣🤣🤣 🦵)
    In fairness, I think Paul Page was a fair bit older than Tiger when he beat him - there is a photo of them both after Paul beat him and Tiger looks like a 14 year old, whereas Paul looks late teens

Bravo that you can joke about your leg 😂

Edit - Paul Page born July 1971 - Tiger Dec 1975 - so Tiger was 17 and Paul 22
  • One of the coaches at Pedham Place (Adam) is a friend of mine and my family's. I would be happy to put you in touch, he is a very nice guy, relaxed, easy to get on with and in his 30's so if this appeals drop me a message.
  • @eaststandmike and @johnnybev1987 I'd love those details of you don't mind passing them on cheers. Pedham and Headcorn are pretty easy to get to from where I am. Dartford isn't bad but I worked round there for years and know how you are rolling the dice with the crossing every time I go there! Last thing I need when attempting to swing a golf club is the anger I get from traffic! 
  • Carter said:
    @eaststandmike and @johnnybev1987 I'd love those details of you don't mind passing them on cheers. Pedham and Headcorn are pretty easy to get to from where I am. Dartford isn't bad but I worked round there for years and know how you are rolling the dice with the crossing every time I go there! Last thing I need when attempting to swing a golf club is the anger I get from traffic! 
    Just sent you a message, check your in box.
  • Carter said:
    @eaststandmike and @johnnybev1987 I'd love those details of you don't mind passing them on cheers. Pedham and Headcorn are pretty easy to get to from where I am. Dartford isn't bad but I worked round there for years and know how you are rolling the dice with the crossing every time I go there! Last thing I need when attempting to swing a golf club is the anger I get from traffic! 
    I've messaged my friend and will update you when he replies, he is called John Barrow, but ill come back with more details. Cost and whether he is still happy to teach bar friends, he is one of the nicest blokes you would ever meet. 
  • One of the coaches at Pedham Place (Adam) is a friend of mine and my family's. I would be happy to put you in touch, he is a very nice guy, relaxed, easy to get on with and in his 30's so if this appeals drop me a message.
    My daughter's having lessons at Pedham with Keiran, he's very good.
    Didn't you like the look of Adam? 
  • Sponsored links:

Didn't you like the look of Adam? 
    When I called them to book, Keiran was the one they said was available. To be fair, he’s been brilliant with her and I’ve picked up a couple of tips whilst watching them (I’m still crap though)
  • Yeah, but did you like the look of Adam?
  • WSS said:
    Yeah, but did you like the look of Adam?
    Put it this way, I wouldn’t climb over him to get to you.
  • Carter said:

My last swing of a gold club...

I know sweet fa about golf but think that I can see your first mistake mate :-)
  • iamdan said:
    Paul Page - Dartford.

Totally agree with this,I play regularly at the Paul Page  par 3 course in Dartford and have had lessons with Paul,I have had lessons over the years with others but Paul is easily the best(he once beat Tiger Woods as an amateur)
  • Carter said:

Carter said:

No disgrace to have a terrible round at Upchurch,really a challenging course,surprised after playing your round there you had the energy to tip your clubs in the lake.
  • Carter said:

Carter said:

No disgrace to have a terrible round at Upchurch,really a challenging course,surprised after playing your round there you had the energy to tip your clubs in the lake.
    I think it was next to the third tee 
  • Carter said:
    Carter said:

Carter said:

I think it was next to the third tee 
    Blimey you must have been pissed off,it is about a half mile walk to the nearest lake from the 3rrd tee.