Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

W.D.Y.T.Y.A

Watched W D Y T Y A. last evening with Matt Lucas,the first twenty minutes was not very keen on.But the last half hour was very interesting about his family being linked with Anne Frank(just ordered her book).
I have always found that part of History interesting.I have read a trilogy of books about Hitler;s rise to Fuhrer.

Comments

• The good old nature verses nurture programme.
    I understand I am partially descended from King Edward 111 but that doesn’t mean I want to go to war with France.
  • Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    The good old nature verses nurture programme.
    I understand I am partially descended from King Edward 111 but that doesn’t mean I want to go to war with France.
    And I'm no relation whatsoever to Edward the 3rd, and I'm convinced we should
    If you’re of mostly British descent then it’s more likely you’re descended from royalty than not.

https://www.waterstones.com/blog/family-fortunes-adam-rutherford-on-how-were-all-related-to-royalty

Take your family tree back far enough and you’ll eventually get to a period in history where you had more ancestors than people alive at the time, which is explained by cousin marriages. It’s said that 80% of all marriages are between second cousins or closer.

https://www.theifod.com/pedigree-collapse/
  • Aren't we all related to serial shagger Ghengis Khan of you go back far enough?
  • Scoham said:
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    And I'm no relation whatsoever to Edward the 3rd, and I'm convinced we should
    If you’re of mostly British descent then it’s more likely you’re descended from royalty than not.

https://www.waterstones.com/blog/family-fortunes-adam-rutherford-on-how-were-all-related-to-royalty

Take your family tree back far enough and you’ll eventually get to a period in history where you had more ancestors than people alive at the time, which is explained by cousin marriages. It’s said that 80% of all marriages are between second cousins or closer.

https://www.theifod.com/pedigree-collapse/
    What a great argument for intercultural/racial mixing!

• seth plum said:
    King Edward III surely. 
    I have done further research and it turns out I am descended from a potato 🥔 
  • What's people's experience with trying to learn about your family heritage? Is there a website that you recommend/avoid at all costs? 
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder what the hit / shit ratio is when the BBC start looking at these ‘celebrities’ and their ancestry. 

If they looked at my background they could probably do the whole show using a Red Bus Rover ticket for their travel. 
  • What's people's experience with trying to learn about your family heritage? Is there a website that you recommend/avoid at all costs? 
    Ancestry and Find My Past are both good starting points. Find My Past has the 1921 census, newspapers and a better search function. I like Ancestry for family tree building, it’s also good for finding relatives family trees  and can be linked to DNA tests.

Important thing is to start at yourself and work backwards, verifying each link. Beware of online trees, while they may include scanned records not online and uploaded photos many aren’t accurate, they shouldn’t be used as reliable sources.
  • I signed up with Ancestry during lockdown and found a lot of new information and confirmed some oral family history 
  • I signed up with Ancestry during lockdown and found a lot of new information and confirmed some oral family history 
    Dont worry about it mate we all have skeletons somewhere 😂
  • I tried to trace my family tree only to discover that my father is my brother and my sister is my mother. I used Incestry.com.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    King Edward III surely. 
    Hard boiled?
    Likewise. Used a free ancestry trial weekend to discover that my grandfather had in fact served on The Somme when my Dad had previously told me his father hadn't served in WW1. Transpires on the last Charlton Life trip to The Somme in 2018 we'd passed within two miles of the spot where my grandfather had been injured. I'm planning to return soon to see where it was.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    King Edward III surely. 
    Hard boiled?
    Potato not egg.
  • sam3110 said:
    Aren't we all related to serial shagger Ghengis Khan of you go back far enough?
    Painful old Ghengis, he use to go back far...
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    I must have missed Edwards 9 to 110.
    This dynasty has nothing on the House of Sausagedog.