Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• My great aunt used to live opposite before Woolwich Road was widened.  I’ll be sad when it finally disappears, but looks like another nail in the coffin.
  • It's a sad sight, it looks even worse from behind
  • Am I right I’m thinking I read somewhere the other day that planning permission got turned down for  here?
  • SE9 said:
    Am I right I’m thinking I read somewhere the other day that planning permission got turned down for  here?
    Not sure, I did mention that the Anti might go up in flames if planning permission got turned down. I’ve got an alibi for this evening.
  • The Victoria yesterday
  • What’s going on there ?
  • Sponsored links:

• When was the Vic last open for business?
    I certainly didn't go there again once we left the Valley in '85.
    My last memory was playing Dexy's Midnight Runners on the jukebox and walking across that "House of Fun" floor feeling that I must have drunk twice as much as I actually had.

I'm no expert but I'd say building works.
    Isn’t it being turned into flats, but keeping the pub front?
  • This is the last article i think from last year on what the plans are for it.

https://charltonchampion.co.uk/tag/victoria-pub/ 
  • Proper old pub front. Really pleased they’re keeping it.
  • What was the name of the pub that is now a vets....down by the Thames barrier?
  • What was the name of the pub that is now a vets....down by the Thames barrier?
    'Lads of the Village' & then named 'The Thames Barrier Arms'.
    Lads of the Village first, then changed its name to Thames Barrier Arms in 1982
    My local. Great music nights with Rick the DJ. 
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:
    What was the name of the pub that is now a vets....down by the Thames barrier?
    Thanks....same name as a pub I've been to (several times) down by Stone Crossing station.
  • clive said:
    Thanks....same name as a pub I've been to (several times) down by Stone Crossing station.
    That’s a good little boozer as well, not been there for years mind
  • clive said:
    'Lads of the Village', eh?

I bet that's got some history.
  • Gribbo said:
    So sad as I grew up directly opposite it, and helped em empty the barrels when it closed, but this tends to happen when an old pub sits on prime building plots, allegedly....
    Fred kalouke (sp), fucking legend of a publican 
  • I used to love it in there before a match. With it's topsy-turvey floor it felt like walking into the Crooked House on Southend seafront. The last pub I know to sell cheese rolls from one of those plastic boxes at the back of the bar. They were shrink wrapped in cling film and sometimes quite tough to chew like they'd been there for days, but they always tasted divine.
  • Before one premiership game 
    There was a wedding reception 
    I think something to do with Landlord 
    didn’t shut the pub 
    So we wished them well drunk a few 
    pints & helped them finish the buffet 
  • Stig said:
    I used to love it in there before a match. With it's topsy-turvey floor it felt like walking into the Crooked House on Southend seafront. The last pub I know to sell cheese rolls from one of those plastic boxes at the back of the bar. They were shrink wrapped in cling film and sometimes quite tough to chew like they'd been there for days, but they always tasted divine.
    A good old cheese and raw onion crusty roll wrapped in cling film. Halcyon days, it’s all Italian meat platters and olives nowadays. 

Lib club used to do decent crusty rolls on matchdays. 
    I'm no expert but I'd say building works.
    Isn’t it being turned into flats, but keeping the pub front?
    Yeah, they're sinking piles in by looks of it
    Had some mental times in the Barrier Arms. You had to call em or do a special knock to get in there in the end.