Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scott Marshall and Scott Lindsey - Marshall joins Garner at Colchester (p4)

Comments

• Pretty sure Lindsey played for Welling for a while? Was a proper clogger. Spent most of his time kicking the crap out of the opposition. Training should be fun!
  • edited June 2022
    One season with Welling.

Seems to have played for just about every club in Kent.

Note that both coaches were son's of professional players but while Marshall was at Arsenal, Southampton and Celtic, Lindsey was a non-league journeyman.
  • edited June 2022
    Surprised at you @Henry Irving, your own mantra surely WIOTOS
  • Marshall was at Reading with Adkins and Roddy...........
  • Surprised at you @Henry Irving, your own mantra surely WIOTOS
    Read the title
  • Scott Minto
    Scott Fraser

I assume Scott Twine will be our next signing...
  • Pretty sure Lindsey played for Welling for a while? Was a proper clogger. Spent most of his time kicking the crap out of the opposition. Training should be fun!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Lindsey
  • edited June 2022
    Surprised at you @Henry Irving, your own mantra surely WIOTOS
    Read the title
    I have read the title thanks, speculation on a possible signing, as any rumour on the new manager or any player, no different as i see it...if and WIOTOS... B)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Marshall was at Reading with Adkins and Roddy...........
    They were also the reason we signed Fosu, Hamer and Morrison.
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Marshall was at Reading with Adkins and Roddy...........
    They were also the reason we signed Fosu, Hamer and Morrison.
    And Pardew and Parkinson. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If this is correct, as I have asked before, does anyone know what happens to Jason Euell?
  • ross1 said:
    If this is correct, as I have asked before, does anyone know what happens to Jason Euell?
    I'd think no one knows outside of Garner and Sandgaard.
  • ross1 said:
    If this is correct, as I have asked before, does anyone know what happens to Jason Euell?
    Henry is right but I would imagine Jason’s going to be the continuity factor. I hope so anyway.
  • Met Scott Lindsey years ago (around the turn of the Millennium). He came across as a decent enough bloke but, given his professional pedigree thus far, I'm not convinced he's the man for a club seeking to rise a tier (or two) in the near future.

Don't see any of the three names mentioned as an improvement on Johnnie Jackson personally but, if they do end up joining, hope to be proved wrong.
  • LenGlover said:
    Met Scott Lindsey years ago (around the turn of the Millennium). He came across as a decent enough bloke but, given his professional pedigree thus far, I'm not convinced he's the man for a club seeking to rise a tier (or two) in the near future.

Don't see any of the three names mentioned as an improvement on Johnnie Jackson personally but, if they do end up joining, hope to be proved wrong.
    I get what you are saying but what level did Wenger or Mourinho play at?
  • ross1 said:
    Henry is right but I would imagine Jason’s going to be the continuity factor. I hope so anyway.
    I can't imagine Garner having THREE coaches working for him
  • ross1 said:
    Jon De Souza has only just come in and we have Glyn Shimell as goalkeeping coach, a position I can't see us going without.

I could see Euell moving on but I expect those two will stay.
  • Scoham said:
    ross1 said:
    Jon De Souza has only just come in and we have Glyn Shimell as goalkeeping coach, a position I can't see us going without.

I meant 3 regular outfield coaches. De Souza and Shimell have separate jobs, whereas if Garner brings Marshall and Lindsey with him, he won't need Euell as well.
  • edited June 2022
    cfgs said:
    LenGlover said:
    Met Scott Lindsey years ago (around the turn of the Millennium). He came across as a decent enough bloke but, given his professional pedigree thus far, I'm not convinced he's the man for a club seeking to rise a tier (or two) in the near future.

Not the playing side that worries me about him, add Lennie Lawrence to your examples, as the coaching / managerial experience. He went to Swindon from Chatham Town https://scefl.com/scott-lindsey-leaves-chatham-town  where, to be fair, he did a decent job. He's 50 odd, so not a youngster, and the majority of the time has knocked around non-league (as both player and coach/manager) so can he take us higher?

Lennie's coaching and managing was done in the football league prior to becoming our manager.
  • Scoham said:
    ross1 said:

I meant 3 regular outfield coaches. De Souza and Shimell have separate jobs, whereas if Garner brings Marshall and Lindsey with him, he won't need Euell as well.
    The appointment, at least the timing of it, of De Souza was a bit strange in that respect. 

I have no idea what roles the two lads at Swindon did.  I know what their job titles were but they are all made up nonsense anyway. 

No manager, especially not at league 1 level, is going to be an expert or genius at every aspect of the game.  That's why them putting together their own team is so important.  That said it looks like Garner got lucky at Swindon.

I mean for all we know one of them could have that eye for a game and see what's subtly not working or spot an non obvious weakness in the opposition, the other could be a brilliant skills coach, or patterns of play, or set pieces.  

I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that Euell will leave, or that the other two will have the same job discriptions they had at Swindon, even if they are doing the same jobs. 

There are loads of things a fully qualified coach could do to add value.  Opposition scouting for example.

It makes sense to have as many quilfied, experienced people as you can have and also makes no sense in paying one to leave when you can just pay them to stay. 

As long as its clear who is in charge. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    ross1 said:

The appointment, at least the timing of it, of De Souza was a bit strange in that respect. 

I have no idea what roles the two lads at Swindon did.  I know what their job titles were but they are all made up nonsense anyway. 

No manager, especially not at league 1 level, is going to be an expert or genius at every aspect of the game.  That's why them putting together their own team is so important.  That said it looks like Garner got lucky at Swindon.

I mean for all we know one of them could have that eye for a game and see what's subtly not working or spot an non obvious weakness in the opposition, the other could be a brilliant skills coach, or patterns of play, or set pieces.  

I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that Euell will leave, or that the other two will have the same job discriptions they had at Swindon, even if they are doing the same jobs. 

There are loads of things a fully qualified coach could do to add value.  Opposition scouting for example.

It makes sense to have as many quilfied, experienced people as you can have and also makes no sense in paying one to leave when you can just pay them to stay. 

As long as its clear who is in charge. 
    TS
  • ross1 said:
    I'd think no one knows outside of Garner and Sandgaard.
    Connor Washington might have been told.
  • Scott Minto
    Scott Fraser

I assume Scott Twine will be our next signing...
    You’re just stringing us along now. 
  • cfgs said:
    LenGlover said:

Not forgetting Lennie Lawrence. 
  • One season with Welling.

Note that both coaches were son's of professional players but while Marshall was at Arsenal, Southampton and Celtic, Lindsey was a non-league journeyman.
    Mourinho never played professional or semi professional football but turned into an excellent  coach etc...

I can only assume that it's always about the here and now with Jose Mourinho because you would've to be a piss poor judge of Footballers not to realize that both Salah and De Buyne were going to be top footballers. They weren't academy players when they were sold. Of course they were still raw but at least send them out on loan which since that double cock up Chelsea will do for years with some players just in case.
    If not in Mourinho 3 year plan then why leave young talent for the next manager was his raison detre in his career at Chelsea. May be changing now but he is a very rich man with all the Compensation he gets paid along with the massive wage.
  • One season with Welling.

Mourinho never played professional or semi professional football but turned into an excellent  coach etc...

I can only assume that it's always about the here and now with Jose Mourinho because you would've to be a piss poor judge of Footballers not to realize that both Salah and De Buyne were going to be top footballers. They weren't academy players when they were sold. Of course they were still raw but at least send them out on loan which since that double cock up Chelsea will do for years with some players just in case.
    If not in Mourinho 3 year plan then why leave young talent for the next manager was his raison detre in his career at Chelsea. May be changing now but he is a very rich man with all the Compensation he gets paid along with the massive wage.
    £100 million in compo and counting.

Allegedly Klopp didn't fancy Salah either....
  • edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    One season with Welling.

You are joking if you think 100 million means fuck all to Chelsea. They spent that on Lukaku !

• Cafc43v3r said:
    One season with Welling.

You are joking if you think 100 million means fuck all to Chelsea. They spent that on Lukaku !

That's how much Jose has pocketed by being sacked.........
  • Don't know enough about these guys to be able to make fair judgement. I am guessing it will be the same with our signings (when we make any) this summer..... its where we are as a club at the moment. We won't be bringing in known names as much as we used to. 

Then again when we signed Mark Kinsella I was underwhelmed and that relatively unknown name worked out ok.
  • Update 

Lindsey took Garner's job and then appointed Jamie Day as his assistant at Swindon.

No news as yet on Marshall but speculation reignited by Jason Euell departing Charlton today.