Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has got one
  • They probably don’t have one pubic hair between them - their opinions are irrelevant.
  • The new breed of fan?
    I should think quite a few of us were had a different view when we was 18-20 than 40 odd.
    Was my generation at 18-20 that much different to this generation?
  • I think that’s the crowd who sit behind us in the East. Often told to ‘shut the fuck up’ , which they do immediately and without response.
  • Sponsored links:

• A few knobs older than them coming out with that sort of cobblers before the game on a Facebook thread the other day. I gave them my fourpence worth.   
  • edited May 2022
    I have no problem with the club congratulating Sunderland on promotion but I don't like the way that tweet is written. It feels to me like whoever wrote it is trying too hard to be pally. 

That's really over analysis of what is just a two second tweet though.

Can't say I'm too bothered about it. I'm not going to be complaining on Twitter and I don't feel embarrassed by something that someone else has done.
  • In what universe does what anybody says on Twitter matter?
    Surely it is known by Charlton ‘official’, Donald Trump, Colleen Vardy, and the rest, that Twitter is a sewer and it is used by unimaginative morons?
    The tragedy is that those who use Twitter assume everybody else thinks it matters, like bitcurrency, taking Twitter seriously is akin to believing in the existence of Ghosts.
  • edited May 2022
    seth plum said:
    In what universe does what anybody says on Twitter matter?
    Surely it is known by Charlton ‘official’, Donald Trump, Colleen Vardy, and the rest, that Twitter is a sewer and it is used by unimaginative morons?
    The tragedy is that those who use Twitter assume everybody else thinks it matters, like bitcurrency, taking Twitter seriously is akin to believing in the existence of Ghosts.
    Well, it does matter to a larger extent than I think you’re given it credit. There are real people sat behind the accounts (most of the time).

Footballers will often see the abuse they get subjected to, as will admins. It might be easy for a lucky few to just ignore it and not let it affect you - but that’s unfortunately not how the human mind works for a lot of people.

As discussed in a separate thread recently, the behaviour that many partake in online by hurling out abuse, insults etc without consequence will undoubtedly have a knock on effect to their ‘real life’ personalities at some point. 

If you don’t believe me, then I’d recommend looking up something called Arsenal Fan TV (“AFTV”), which I think demonstrates such behaviour pretty explicitly.
  • edited May 2022
    cafctom said:
    seth plum said:
    Well, it does matter to a larger extent than I think you’re given it credit. There are real people sat behind the accounts (most of the time).

Footballers will often see the abuse they get subjected to, as will admins. It might be easy for a lucky few to just ignore it and not let it affect you - but that’s unfortunately not how the human mind works for a lot of people.

As discussed in a separate thread recently, the behaviour that many partake in online by hurling out abuse, insults etc without consequence will undoubtedly have a knock on effect to their ‘real life’ personalities at some point. 
    Does it require luck to ignore Twitter?
    I associate luck with winning a lottery.
    One way to ignore Twitter is to not have it and not look at it, are you saying that it is only lucky people that achieve the personal fortitude enabling them to do this (with the added bonus of not enriching Elon Bezoz Zuckerbugger)?
    When you say real people sitting behind accounts, my understanding is it is like Chinese whispers where people pass things on, how much intellectual or emotional effort does it take to retwitter something? How much reality is involved?

• seth plum said:
    cafctom said:
    seth plum said:

One way to ignore Twitter is to not have it and not look at it, are you saying that it is only lucky people that achieve the personal fortitude enabling them to do this (with the added bonus of not enriching Elon Bezoz Zuckerbugger)?
    When you say real people sitting behind accounts, my understanding is it is like Chinese whispers where people pass things on, how much intellectual or emotional effort does it take to retwitter something? How much reality is involved?

Many people will have been using social media for a long period of their lives - and in many cases, long before it became the cesspit that it is today (amplified by the introduction of smartphones).

I don’t know the percentages, but an extremely high number of people will have social media accounts because it is such a common way to keep in touch with other people, as well as stay in tune with their hobbies and interests. And on the surface, it actually is a brilliant concept that can garner a lot of good, enriching experience when done properly.

However, when it comes to Football - it’s very hard to separate the interesting, insightful and enjoyable parts of it from the absolutely scummy parts of it.

Young people will have social media accounts because they will know no different by this point. It is as commonplace as watching a television. And it’s not so easy to just say “well I won’t be on social media”. That might be possible for those who have gone 30-40 years of their life without its existence, but not for those who are being introduced to it before they even turn 14/15.

And it is a lot more personal than just ‘re-tweeting’ something. I’m assuming you hear the stories about people logging onto Twitter, finding footballers’ profiles, and then sending them vile racist abuse? 
  • I never go too far down a Twitter thread. They invariably spiral down into nonsense from people who for whatever reason want to be noticed by being confrontational, argumentative, stupid or just to get a rise from others. 
    I’d like to think they just school kids having a bit of laugh with their mates but the reality is they are probably sad old adults with not a great deal going on between their ears. 
    Its shame because I do feel Twitter is a really great platform for news and information. The very reason I joined Twitter was Charlton/football on match days. Some nice bits of information/gossip but an awful lot of attention seekers.
  • cafctom said:
    seth plum said:
    cafctom said:
    seth plum said:

Many people will have been using social media for a long period of their lives - and in many cases, long before it became the cesspit that it is today (amplified by the introduction of smartphones).

I don’t know the percentages, but an extremely high number of people will have social media accounts because it is such a common way to keep in touch with other people, as well as stay in tune with their hobbies and interests. And on the surface, it actually is a brilliant concept that can garner a lot of good, enriching experience when done properly.

However, when it comes to Football - it’s very hard to separate the interesting, insightful and enjoyable parts of it from the absolutely scummy parts of it.

Young people will have social media accounts because they will know no different by this point. It is as commonplace as watching a television. And it’s not so easy to just say “well I won’t be on social media”. That might be possible for those who have gone 30-40 years of their life without its existence, but not for those who are being introduced to it before they even turn 14/15.

And it is a lot more personal than just ‘re-tweeting’ something. I’m assuming you hear the stories about people logging onto Twitter, finding footballers’ profiles, and then sending them vile racist abuse? 
    Yes I have heard about this stuff.
    Why do footballers even read it?
    However isn’t it about as significant as graffiti painted on the walls adjacent to railway lines? It is there, graffiti is important to those who do it, but for most it is rightly a passing blur meaning nothing.
    I also get the ‘social media’ concept, but is it in any way real life?
    To me comparing Twitter to reality is something like seeing a match live compared to seeing it on the telly.
    The annoying thing is how much it seems to mean and matter to people, like those in the past reading tea leaves in a cup to predict the outcome of future battles.
    Possibly the answer is to educate those young people into critical thinking and philosophy.
    I will be visiting my two year old granddaughter today who lives in a television free household (imagine that!). If her parents continue in this way, I wonder just how ‘deprived’ she will end up being.
  • edited May 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    cafctom said:
    seth plum said:
    cafctom said:
    seth plum said:

However isn’t it about as significant as graffiti painted on the walls adjacent to railway lines? It is there, graffiti is important to those who do it, but for most it is rightly a passing blur meaning nothing.
    To me comparing Twitter to reality is something like seeing a match live compared to seeing it on the telly.
    The annoying thing is how much it seems to mean and matter to people, like those in the past reading tea leaves in a cup to predict the outcome of future battles.

Not really sure this adds up at all. "Why do footballers even read it?"......Really? How about we focus on those who send the abuse in the first place rather than putting the onus on those on receiving end? 

I'm assuming you're of an age where social media hasn't played a part in the majority of your life. That is not the same reality for many others under the age of 35. It *is* reality for a lot of people - as its quickly become one of the primary forms of communication. 

If someone abuses another person, it shouldn't be considered 'less real' just because it is online.
  • cafctom said:
    seth plum said:
    cafctom said:
    seth plum said:
    cafctom said:
    seth plum said:

Not really sure this adds up at all. "Why do footballers even read it?"......Really? How about we focus on those who send the abuse in the first place rather than putting the onus on those on receiving end? 

I'm assuming you're of an age where social media hasn't played a part in the majority of your life. That is not the same reality for many others under the age of 35. It *is* reality for a lot of people - as its quickly become one of the primary forms of communication. 

If someone abuses another person, it shouldn't be considered 'less real' just because it is online.
    Yes you are right in that I am definitely an old git.
    The extent social media has played a part in my life is in two categories, what I choose to engage with, and what is shoved unwillingly down my throat.
    Clearly you are right in saying the internet is becoming a significant means of (I hesitate to use this word, I would prefer self expression) ‘communication’ for some, maybe for some who see no alternative.
    However the blurring between the online world and the real world is alarming. The young people you refer to can kill hundreds on a computer game, press reset and start again. If that translates into thinking you can do it for real as you live stream a massacre in a supermarket, but it is no biggie, it can be reset, then we’re in trouble.
    I also agree some social media is good and nice, but it is not the kind of reality easily assimilated by me.
    On Charlton life when they had the abuse button I never used it because it seemed unimportant. I frequently get personally abused and lied about on this platform, and my method is to give it back out in the open, unfortunately for me pushing back against the abusers, liars and stalkers gets me banned🤔
  • edited May 2022
    I'm not on twitter, as it would be a nightmare  for reasons explained by Seth.

I also agree with many points made by Henry about the positives.

I find being in a room/venue with people so much more vibrant because whether they are heckling, supporting, laughing with you or at you I can normally see their eyes and they aren't cowardly snipers that enjoy hiding in the shadows.
  • Twitter - have to take the bad with the good side of it, unfortunately.

Pretty much like every thing else in this world.

It is a very useful platform but I personally don't think it is really much of a problem solver.

It is not a need.
  • Twitter is what you make of it. I get live news from accounts I follow on football, bikes, music, animals, video games, whatever you want. 

I don't open comments so I don't see any negative comments or trolling.
  • That’s given me a nice block list 
  • I don't get the love in with Sunderland tbh and I don't think we should be sending out messages congratulating other teams on being successful, especially when we've had a spectacularly shit season! Just my view, but this is a competition, we're not mates! Remember when Roland congratulated Sheffield Utd on promotion? That was odd too, but for different reasons!
  • edited May 2022
    Twitter *is* what you make of it, but if I were Sandgaard I’d just block all the abusers.
    But sad to see a Charlton fan’s account radicalising other fans with talk of George Sorros controlling the world, ultra anti BLM stuff, etc. etc. I guess it’s the way of the modern world, unfortunately.