Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

3 Seasons

edited May 2022 in General Charlton
Each time we have been promoted from league one to the championship it has taken three seasons. 

09/10, 10/11, 11/12 Champions (4th, 13th, 1st respectively)
16/17, 17/18, 18/19 Play off winners (13th, 6th, 3rd respectively)

Can we replicate this cycle to get promoted this season? 

Possibly.
20/21, 21/22 - 7th, 13th, ...

I think we all agree anything less than promotion this coming season is disappointing and outside the playoffs must be a failure.

Comments

• I don't think not getting promotion this season is failure. I think it's a huge leap to think we should be anywhere near automatics and then the playoffs are, well, the playoffs.

Take away the TS rhetoric and look at us as a club, I'd be fine with a season of progression on the pitch, building an identity as well as improving aspects behind the scenes.

• one season short of a pizza
  • Missing top six is a failure but I can't say I'm expecting promotion.
  • edited May 2022
    My Expectations are low at the moment,  very low, have lessons been learned?

Will we recruit 

A)    The right manager, who gets the lower leagues.

B)    Quality players who are adaptable in different positions  (can play 2 positions).

C).   Get the band together (metaphorically speaking) in time for preseason to gel.

D)     Steer clear of injury prone players.
  • mendonca said:
    Although we want promotion, I do think we need to stop being the Tottenham of League One by going into each season expecting it, just because we were once good and in the PL.

There is a lot of rebuilding to do. Personally and pains me to say, but I think promotion from this League is a 3 season aim. 
    I think the comparison with Spurs is well wide of the mark.  The comparison is better to Man United or pre Klopp Liverpool.

Over any extended period of time the biggest factor in league position is wage bill.  Of course there are always anomalies but generally the 92 can be sorted by wage bill and it will be pretty close to the final tables.

Every season we have been in this division we have had one of the top six wage bills.  Possible exception of the Parkinson/Powell season.

I don't believe it's beyond the wit of man to put a promotion winning squad together very quickly.  Wigan have just done it, we have done it in the past, Blackpool did it last year.  Saying that I don't expect us to, not now.  I hope we do mind.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Each time we have been promoted from league one to the championship it has taken three seasons. 

Possibly.

I think we all agree anything less than promotion this coming season is disappointing and outside the playoffs must be a failure.

Yet when I questioned that Matt Taylor took 4 years to get Exeter promoted and Charlton fans wouldn't wait 4 years, there were plenty saying they would be happy to wait another 4 years. (They would quickly change their mind if we're bottom 3 in October).
  • edited May 2022
    WSS said:
    I don't think not getting promotion this season is failure. I think it's a huge leap to think we should be anywhere near automatics and then the playoffs are, well, the playoffs.

Take away the TS rhetoric and look at us as a club, I'd be fine with a season of progression on the pitch, building an identity as well as improving aspects behind the scenes.
    My initial reaction is to agree, progression on the pitch sounds great. I worry however that every season at this level for a club of our size reduces our long term viability. My greatest fear, which I’ve mentioned previously, is that Sandgaard might have only delayed some of the worst scenarios we were facing a couple of years ago rather than saved us from them. The longer we spend at this level the more likely it is that we may have to face up to the possibility of those scenarios again. 

Ed - hopefully I’m wrong on the above, and Sandgaard is still very much in credit for me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• As long as we go out of pizza trophy or whatever it is 
    We’ll need a miracle to go up and don’t expect us to and I’ll never accept being in this league in that shit trophy against u21 sides .
    it is what it is but no one can be happy with our lot 
  • This is Sandgaard 
    'S 4th transfer window. 
    It's about time we started to improve football wise.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Possibly.

This is almost true. In 1980 it took just 1 season. 

In 1972 it took 3 seasons too.

In1932/33 it took 2 seasons.

It has never taken more than 3 seasons though.
    It took eight in the 1920s, albeit we hadn’t been relegated into the division and there was only one promotion place, as there was in 1935.
  • edited May 2022
    Relegated to Div 3 South in 1932/3 season. 

Finished 1933/34 season in 5th place, but were promoted back to Div 2 the following season (1934/35) after finishing first (Third Division South). As Airman said, only the Champions were promoted. 

1935/36 season saw Charlton promoted to League One at the first attempt after finishing runners up; they were undefeated at The Valley all season.

Yes, football was simpler back then, but it was a level playing field. 
    I’d say we have an outside chance of gaining promotion next season, but a better chance in 23/24. 
  • Watched first leg play off between Sheff. Utd and Forest yesterday. We are nowhere near that standard. Long way to go.
  • Not this time. No way. You're in Dreamland.

I reckon that we'd probably get out of League Two in 3 seasons though.