Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Recruitment & Scouting Network

As we are all discussing our recruitment needs improving... What do we know about the team? 
Thomas Sandgaard - money man
Martin Sandgaard - the black box man
Steve Gallen - the negotiator 
Ruben Sammut - player finder
Aaron Barnes - player finder (I believe) ex-player
Phil Chapple - is he still at the club?

Am I missing anyone? I know lots of scouts work on a freelance basis, and get paid a finders fee.. But it seems light to me? 

Comments

• Chappie left a few years back.
  • Bert Dawkins is the main academy scout I think
  • edited May 2022
    Dan Pelchen built the original algorithm used by the black box. No mention of us on his LinkedIn so doesn’t appear to be a permanent appointment.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dan-pelchen-7b78a674

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6139d07e655f0/in-depth-summer-transfer-window-2021

There are a few other scouts and analysts if you searched LinkedIn, but of course profiles aren’t always kept up to date and not everyone has one.
  • cfgs said:
    Chappie left a few years back.

Assumed that was the case.
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Steve Gallen - the negotiator 

Coming to ITV this Autumn. James Nesbitt stars in this gritty cop drama.

https://youtu.be/OjMQ4oWIfn4
  • edited May 2022

Recruitment Commitee: A crack recruitment team, signing players in a questionable manner they survive by pretending to know their arses from their elbows... They are:

Thomas Sandgaard - Money man, cheif scout, CEO, President, Vice President, Messiah:
    Making sure we dont deviate away from the type of player the club wants, age, playing style etc. Reads the scout reports and  watches the player videos as well.  
    "I’m going to focus a lot on the attacking midfielder.." 
    "I got into some very heated conversations with Nigel Adkins."

Martin "discovered Scott Fraser" Sandgaard - Black Box Man, Director of analysis, Laptop guy:
    Martin uses data and statistics to pick out players, has a list for each position, so that we don’t waste time and can be focused on negotiating.  Managed about 80 people in production at Zynex. He is really good with data and building systems. Martin’s system is part of the recruitment process.

Steve Gallen - The negotiator, Mr Contacts, Purveyor of Chelsea youth and broken palace players:
    Steve Gallen’s main skill is negotiating, and a combination of Steve and Martin is “amazing”.

*Manager/Coach*
    Adkins, Johnnie, Lennon, Bonner, Warburton, Beale, Brighton U15´s coach -"has an input"

Recruitment data team
    Brett Shaw
    Ruben Sammut - Data Analyst 
    Aaron Barnes - Data Analyst

Scouting

• edited May 2022
    Don't overlook the excellent work of the Sandgaard Advisory Committee ... a unique collection* of unnamed individuals (as many as one in number) who reinforce Sandgaard's opinion on critical occasions.

* Might be Sandgaard and a mirror
  • So, do we have anyone who can actually be bothered to go and watch players rather than watch their highlight reel on YouTube?
  • we’re just waiting for Sandgaard junior to get the new Football Manager. 
  • Sponsored links:

• So, do we have anyone who can actually be bothered to go and watch players rather than watch their highlight reel on YouTube?

Sandgaard did say (without actually naming anyone) that they get in the car and go and see them in person too. 

"...TS said that Martin’s system is part of the recruitment process, but you still need to watch the videos and get into the car and see players physically...."
  • Looks as if Pete shirtliff is a scout too 
  • edited May 2022
    Does Lee Amis still have some role in the scouting set up?

Sandgaard did say (without actually naming anyone) that they get in the car and go and see them in person too. 

"...TS said that Martin’s system is part of the recruitment process, but you still need to watch the videos and get into the car and see players physically...."
    In the trust interview he said both Martin and Gallen are always scouting.
  • Thomas Sandgaard - entertainer
    Martin Sandgaard - Gareth
    Steve Gallen - Tim
    Keohane - Keith
    Jokat - Neil
    Ron Danger - Finchy 

Don't be ridiculous ... it's nothing like that.

You do realise that the whole thing is simply a parody and exaggerated for comic effect?

'The Office' on the other hand was a wonderful TV sitcom.
  • Wouldn't surprise me. In Curbs' day he would often be out a couple of evenings a week watching games. Keith Peacock might go and watch some too. Haven't heard that Bows or Jacko have done anything similar. 
  • Wouldn't surprise me. In Curbs' day he would often be out a couple of evenings a week watching games. Keith Peacock might go and watch some too. Haven't heard that Bows or Jacko have done anything similar. 
    Quote from TS did say both JJ and Gallen go out watching players.
  • Money Ball with Brad Pitt is one of my favourite sports movies. Data analysis is a good thing as part of recruiting players but should definitely not replace scouting & consideration of player character & personality and how they fit in the team. Curbs & Chris Powell were both very good at that. That is how an owner can get the best out of the budget. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Recruitment Commitee: A crack recruitment team, signing players in a questionable manner they survive by pretending to know their arses from their elbows...

CAFC Barakus: “I ain’t getting on no train! Fool”
  • A large part of scouting traditionally done by pretty much all clubs is not about watching potential players to recruit, but watching upcoming opposition to see how they play and strengths and weaknesses. I assume we still at least do this to not do would be negligent.
    When your in the Premier League you can often go and watch a game either Saturday or Sunday, maybe Monday night or even Friday.

When would anyone involved in our first team be able to go and watch another league 1 or league 2 game?  Might be able to get in 4 or 5 a season?

Not a lot of point in them going to watch Chelsea v Man City looking for players is there?

When you look at the "summer of Powell" as the blue print of how to do it, you need to remember he had recently played with or against almost all of them, seen them first hand in the last six months and had previously been responsible for Leicester's opposition scouting reports.  Not only that he had 5 or 6 people supporting him.

He had a much richer exposure to the right quality of players than any of his successors have had.  And much more support.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Wouldn't surprise me. In Curbs' day he would often be out a couple of evenings a week watching games. Keith Peacock might go and watch some too. Haven't heard that Bows or Jacko have done anything similar. 
    When your in the Premier League you can often go and watch a game either Saturday or Sunday, maybe Monday night or even Friday.

When would anyone involved in our first team be able to go and watch another league 1 or league 2 game?  Might be able to get in 4 or 5 a season?

Not a lot of point in them going to watch Chelsea v Man City looking for players is there?

When you look at the "summer of Powell" as the blue print of how to do it, you need to remember he had recently played with or against almost all of them, seen them first hand in the last six months and had previously been responsible for Leicester's opposition scouting reports.  Not only that he had 5 or 6 people supporting him.

He had a much richer exposure to the right quality of players than any of his successors have had.  And much more support.
    And had been head of PFA players rep or something meaning he would have built an unbeatable level of contacts.  Was why appointing him at the time seemed a no brainer to me.
  • vff said:
    Money Ball with Brad Pitt is one of my favourite sports movies. Data analysis is a good thing as part of recruiting players but should definitely not replace scouting & consideration of player character & personality and how they fit in the team. Curbs & Chris Powell were both very good at that. That is how an owner can get the best out of the budget. 
    Also Baseball is a sport based heavily on individual stats and data, so works more in that sport, although there are plenty of people in not more so than those for heavy use of it that are against it.

I don't think data analysis in such a complicated way we seem to be doing it should be seen as more important than traditional scouting and we should be selling Charlton as a club to incoming players. Sandgaard imo is trying to act like a Premier league club before earning the right, (the dumping of tickets mess trying to appeal out or our core areas another example for another thread)  In lower leagues it doesn't have to be so complicated and flash.
  • Thomas Sandgaard - entertainer
    Martin Sandgaard - Gareth
    Steve Gallen - Tim
    Keohane - Keith
    Jokat - Neil
    Ron Danger - Finchy 

Burger boy being ridiculed again, absolutely disgraceful. 👍
  • Send some scouts downunder!

The Phoenix were unable to find a way past Western shotstopper Jamie Young after conceding inside the first 10 minutes.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/a-league/300588050/wellington-phoenix-denied-by-incredible-save-in-aleague-men-elimination-final?cid=app-iPad
  • edited May 2022
    Very good save. Reminiscent of Seaman in the FA Cup semi final years ago…

Jamie Young is unfortunately not that young at age 36.

Spent the majority of his career bouncing around non-league before moving to Australia in 2014.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Young
  • Scoham said:
    Tony Khan has at least 3 full time jobs I don't know how he actually does them all.  He did get a lot if stick when Fulham were in the Premier league because of his recruitment.  His American football team are struggling as well.

All 3 cost his Dad a fortune in funding.