Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What if..... current Charlton XI played England 1966 team

Game to be played using the rules as they were in 1966 together with the same refereeing standards that allowed a more 'robust' approach to physical contact. All current Charlton squad players can be considered. 

Obviously the 1966 England team would be more skillful but the current Charlton team should be a lot fitter and should have a bit more tactical awareness (although I sometimes wonder).

Who would win? 

Comments

• Half of them are dead and they would still win. 
  • 7-0 to England
  • The current Charlton team (or any professional team of the last twenty odd years) would absolutely hammer them. If you go back and watch games from that era, the pace is a long way off the modern game - not to mention the tactical astuteness. 
  • Prob be 4-0 England after 30 mins then fitness kicks in be 7-4 Charlton.
  • England 66 have the quality though, imagine how hard Bobby Charlton could hit a modern lightweight football! Rewatching the WC final, I was also impressed by how both Moore AND Jackie Charlton brought the ball out from the back too.

And most of our players couldn't cope physically with old school tackling, how long would JFC, CBT, DJ, Fraser, Chuks etc last?
  • England 66 have the quality though, imagine how hard Bobby Charlton could hit a modern lightweight football! Rewatching the WC final, I was also impressed by how both Moore AND Jackie Charlton brought the ball out from the back too.

And most of our players couldn't cope physically with old school tackling, how long would JFC, CBT, DJ, Fraser, Chuks etc last?
    I guess we will never know, but to honest, I'd be surprised if players of 1960s level fitness would even be able to get near the modern day specimens. Just from a possession perspective they'd be chasing shadows. 
  • Who'd win a fight between a shark and Frank Bruno?
  • Gribbo said:
    Who'd win a fight between a shark and Frank Bruno?
    Is it in the sea or not? What kind of shark? A great white or a smooth-hound? Is it Frank Bruno now or in his prime?

Anyway, two words: Nobby and Stiles. We have no players who could have got past him.
  • Sponsored links:

• If it was England playing in their 1966 prime, Vs Charlton in the 21/22 season.

(A situation that sort of replicates the new Spiderman film situated in a parallel universe)

It would strongly depend on who the ref is. It would also depend on the size of the pitch.

Our Charlton 11 would be on the recieving end of an overwhelming panic attack that featured awe, intimidation and shock. 

I don't think it would be a game of two halves.

We would get bullied in the 1st half and probably easily be 3-0 down.

I don't think we would score in the game.

• cafctom said:
    England 66 have the quality though, imagine how hard Bobby Charlton could hit a modern lightweight football! Rewatching the WC final, I was also impressed by how both Moore AND Jackie Charlton brought the ball out from the back too.

I guess we will never know, but to honest, I'd be surprised if players of 1960s level fitness would even be able to get near the modern day specimens. Just from a possession perspective they'd be chasing shadows. 
    Might be like one of those games in Sunday League where a Vets team etc basically pass around a load of fitter kids as they have all the nous and touch etc.

But I tend to agree, football has come on a hell of a lot with coaching and fitness etc.
  • Game to be played using the rules as they were in 1966 together with the same refereeing standards that allowed a more 'robust' approach to physical contact. All current Charlton squad players can be considered. 

Obviously the 1966 England team would be more skillful but the current Charlton team should be a lot fitter and should have a bit more tactical awareness (although I sometimes wonder).

Who would win? 
    Other factors we need to know!
    Will the teams be wearing boots from their own era or will they all wear the same?
    Will they be playing on a 1966 pitch or a 2022 pitch?
    What ball will be used (might be linked to the boots that they wear)?
    No subs or 5 subs?

• Gribbo said:
    Who'd win a fight between a shark and Frank Bruno?
    Depends if it was in the ring or the sea.

• Depends if Jimmy Greaves was or wasn’t playing.
  • Modern pitch and ref, it's a walkover for the modern team. 

There has been so many developments in fitness over the decades that it wouldn't even be close. 

There has been so many developments in fitness over the decades that it wouldn't even be close. 
    The '66 boys would run the legs off Ben Watson. 
  • edited April 2022
    I'm staggered that anyone can think that the game has advanced so much that the Champions of the World ... at International level ... would struggle against an average League 1 Club side.

When did this revolution occur?  I must have missed it.

Yes, physicality has improved over the 50+ years ... but don't get too carried away.  The four-minute mile barrier was broken in 1954 ... not 2004.  Derek Clayton hit 2hr 9mins for the Marathon at Fukuoka in 1967.

Yes, things have progressed ... but not so much that we would have any chance against Ramsey's wingless wonders.

The current Liverpool or Man City team would be a better bet.

The '66 boys would run the legs off Ben Watson. 
    They probably still could in their current state to be fair 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    I'm staggered that anyone can think that the game has advanced so much that the Champions of the World ... at International level ... would struggle against an average League 1 Club side.

Yes, physicality has improved over the 50+ years ... but don't get too carried away.  The four-minute mile barrier was broken in 1954 ... not 2004.  Derek Clayton hit 2hr 9mins for the Marathon at Fukuoka in 1967.

Yes, things have progressed ... but not so much that we would have any chance against Ramsey's wingless wonders.

The modern era probably forces a more balanced healthy diet, in comparison.

+ Minimal drinking and no smoking.

George best in his prime, would run rings around us.

Safe to say the healthy diet is more of an extra push.

It does not create the character and does not form the historic natural talent.

• Sponsored links:

• edited April 2022
    Dave Rudd said:

Have a look at this:

https://blogofthenet.wordpress.com/2020/04/23/analysis-1966-world-cup-final-xg/

The big things I took away from it are the fact that everyone stayed in position more - modern footballers with their fitness levels and the coaching they have may well be able to overload the 66 team in several areas.

The second was the pot shots being taken - 31 shots each!  I know MacGillivray hasn't excelled this season but I'd not expect a modern defence and keeper to be too troubled by a side shooting from distance again and again.

And that's ignoring that Charlton would be faster, fitter and stronger.
  • One thing I would say - whenever I've seen the replay of 66 or the 1970 Brazil v England game, the standard is poor, but Bobby Moore looks absolute quality, plays much in a much more 'modern' style, reads the game well, great passing out etc.
  • cafctom said:
    England 66 have the quality though, imagine how hard Bobby Charlton could hit a modern lightweight football! Rewatching the WC final, I was also impressed by how both Moore AND Jackie Charlton brought the ball out from the back too.

Might be like one of those games in Sunday League where a Vets team etc basically pass around a load of fitter kids as they have all the nous and touch etc.

But I tend to agree, football has come on a hell of a lot with coaching and fitness etc.
    That would be more akin to the current Charlton team playing the England team 2006 now. 
  • Dave Rudd said:

Also I don't get the 4 minute mile point?

There's been 17 seconds knocked off the record since then, if that doesn't prove that fitness, diet, technology, training etc doesn't improve sporting performances, I don't know what does.

A top end club runner could probably do a 4 minute mile now, same as a League 1 club could beat World Cup winners.
  • edited April 2022
    Dave Rudd said:

There's been 17 seconds knocked off the record since then, if that doesn't prove that fitness, diet, technology, training etc doesn't improve sporting performances, I don't know what does.

A top end club runner could probably do a 4 minute mile now, same as a League 1 club could beat World Cup winners.

My point is that, while fitness levels etc have undoubtedly improved, the World was not full of wheezing hacks back in the day.  In fact, Jim Ryun ran 3.51 in 1967 so the improvement is a mere eight seconds in 55 years (and, hence, nine seconds in the previous 13 years).

I enjoyed the xG analysis.  Has it been done for any of the other tournament games from 1966?  My guess is that the England v Portugal game might look a bit different.

But maybe you're right.  Eusebio ... Pele ... Best ... League 1 players in today's game.
  • I don’t think there’s any way the current Charlton XI would win. Natural skill level and ability would out do the difference in fitness levels any day. After the 1st 10 minutes I believe the England team would adapt to the opposition and win the game quite easily. 
  • Which ball they play with would make a difference. The modern players would struggle with a ball from 66.

If they played on today’s pitches with today’s balls and today’s boots then modern day Charlton would walk it. So much fitter and more professional.

But using old boots and an old ball. I think the ‘66 team would win.
  • edited April 2022
    The game in '66 was tougher as a lot more hard tackling went on which just doesn't happen now.
    Another question is who would ref the match.

As for being fitter today, maybe but I have not seen better headers of a ball in the modern  era than existed then. 

Regarding fitness, ask yourself this. Could our players manage on a very hot July in 1966 in a game that went to extra time.  Skill would have kicked in long before then as modern legs without the help of modern fluid intake would wilt.

Ronaldo would leap a foot over any of the defenders from back in the day. 

The fitness point, yes because nowadays they average running 12kms a game. Have a feeling back then they were not covering as much ground in 90 minutes. 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

My point is that, while fitness levels etc have undoubtedly improved, the World was not full of wheezing hacks back in the day.  In fact, Jim Ryun ran 3.51 in 1967 so the improvement is a mere eight seconds in 55 years (and, hence, nine seconds in the previous 13 years).

I enjoyed the xG analysis.  Has it been done for any of the other tournament games from 1966?  My guess is that the England v Portugal game might look a bit different.

But maybe you're right.  Eusebio ... Pele ... Best ... League 1 players in today's game.
    https://youtu.be/e4fzeK3SQa4
  • Prob be 4-0 England after 30 mins then fitness kicks in be 20-0 England.