Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Mandela Effect - have you experienced it?

The Mandela Effect is the name given to a phenomenon whereby some people suffer distorted memories, that is, when people 'remember' things that never happened.  Most famously, many people are - or were - convinced that Nelson Mandela died in the 1980s in Robben Island. And some are so convinced, they can describe the details of the prisoner's subsequent funeral service they believe they remember.  Of course, this is impossible, and it should be clear to anyone that's familiar with the phrase "President Mandela" that he must have survived his prison sentence.  

Other examples are people convinced Darth Vader used the phrase "Luke, I am your father" or Rick (played by Humphrey Bogard) saying the line "play it again, Sam".  Neither of these lines were delivered in the movies. 

There are more, mundane examples.  Some people are convinced that "Kit-Kat" is the spelling of the four-finger chocolate biscuit wafer;  that there were just four occupants of the car in which JFK was shot; and that Hanibal Lector spoke the line "hello Clarice".  None of these is true.  

While this is very difficult (because, most people don't know which of their memories are false) are there any examples of Mandela Effect you've experienced?  Have you been shocked to find out something you thought was true, isn't?  What cast-iron certainties have you held onto right up to the point that you found out they weren't true at all? 

Comments

• Michael Caine never said "Not a lotta people know that" until after impersonators (probably Mike Yarwood) used the phrase.    
  • I would assume the colour of Walkers Cheese & Onion and Salt & Vinegar crisps would fall into this category. 
  • Pedro45 said:
    Thomas Sangaard never said "We'll be a Premier League team in five years."
    True he said he wanted us to be
    Asked what his objectives for Charlton were, he replied: “Three to five years, Premier League, then less than ten years that we are solid, at least mid table.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Thomas Sangaard never said "We'll be a Premier League team in five years."
    True he said he wanted us to be
    Asked what his objectives for Charlton were, he replied: “Three to five years, Premier League, then less than ten years that we are solid, at least mid table.
    To be fair he’s achieved us being solid & mid table in significantly less time than he expected! 
  • @Chizz

You know that we are all just part of a giant computer simulation, right?
  • Unless I’m missing something, I don’t get the Kit Kat one.
  • edited April 2022
    one example of the Mandela effect is about the monopoly man on the board game. if you were asked to describe him, you'd typically say, black and white cartoon man with a moustache, top hat and monocle. He's never had a monocle. 
  • edited April 2022
    JaShea99 said:
    Unless I’m missing something, I don’t get the Kit Kat one.
    Was going to say exactly the same! Non-hypenated is the correct perhaps?
  • Sponsored links:

• WHAddick said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Was going to say exactly the same! Non-hypenated is the correct perhaps?
    That’s the only thing I could think of, but that would be punctuation, not spelling.
  • JaShea99 said:
    me neither - I even googled it :) KitKat ?
  • Michael Caine never said "Not a lotta people know that" until after impersonators (probably Mike Yarwood) used the phrase.    
    Not a lot of people know that
  • Curious George didn't have a tail. I could of sworn he used to dangle from trees using it.
  • edited April 2022
  • JaShea99 said:
    Many people are convinced it's "Kit-Kat", as opposed to "Kit Kat".  
  • Chizz said:
    JaShea99 said:
    “Convinced” might be putting it a bit strongly!
  • I have a distinct memory of my Mum chopping the top of my ear off while cutting my hair in the garden as a toddler after me resisting my hair being cut.

I can remember all the details of the event clear as day, yet it never happened. Or so she says!
  • Everyone has elements of this. One of the best ways of describing what happens can be explained when watching a film that you have previously seen and how scenes within it can seem slightly different to how you remember them. 

This is also true of football matches. More than one poster on here has said John Hendry's goal for us against the Spanners was in front of the Covered End. It was actually scored at Upton Park.

Players have the same situation. I remember reading an interview with Colin Powell that Carl Harris was brought to replace him. In reality he joined 12 months after Paddy left. In his recent Charlton Live appearance Paul Walsh claimed to have scored for us against Birmingham with Curbs in their team. What made this bizarre was that Lord Llewellyn played along with it. It never happened. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anyone really think that Mandela died in prison? If we are old enough don't remember the release from prison, the winning the rugby thing, and generally being, like you said, president? I'm not saying that memories don't become distorted but I'm amazed that anyone thinks that he died inside. 
  • edited April 2022
    This is really distasteful, but I swear that when I was a kid, there used to be a WWF wrestler who was named after a heinous sexual act. He wore a Zorro-style mask and came to the ring carrying rope. He used to tie his opponents to the turnbuckle. 

No amount of googling has ever proved this true. I think this must be either the Mandela Effect, or the WWF (now WWE) have effectively scrubbed his existence from the planet. 
  • Its actually 'KitKat'.

Just saying.
  • I remember attending the Charlton 7 Huddersfield 6 match.
    It happened 13 years before I was born and I actually attended a 2-0 home defeat against Cardiff some 20 years after the Huddersfield game.
    I’m sure thousands of others have similar recollections.
  • /Chizz said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Presumably they did because "chit-chat" can be hyphenated 
  • Its actually 'KitKat'.

Just saying.
    I've always thought it was.
  • Kennedy one is true. Took me 30 seconds to right myself
  • I'm utterly convinced that There She Goes by The La's is a 60s song that my dad used to play in the car in 1985 on his Rock and Roll tape. Even though it was written and released in 1988, and didn't actually become famous until 1990.