Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Living Next Door to Alice….

Is pretty painful at the moment. 

I don’t have the hate levels that some others have for the stripey lot, but my god I’ve some huge green eyes looking in their direction at the moment.

Can’t bring myself to watch them on the telly, but sounds like they’ve an exciting young team playing fast, attractive football, big name manager making a mark, ground bouncing. Looking a good shout for making a permanent move into the Top 10 category and firmly establishing themselves in the top league.

I know it’s all cyclical, but absolute poles apart to us at the moment. About 18 years now since that was us. Not much confidence it will be us again in the next 18 years.

Happy Tuesday everyone…

Comments

• Who the F is Alice, sod em.
  • Wankers
    'Specially those who start threads about them  o:)
  • Gap is so huge between championship and premier league once you become established is so difficult to be relegated, especially because a lot of the promoted side just bank the tv money. It used to be every season you can guarantee one promoted side being relegated, now it’s two. 

Without a single doubt one of Fulham or Bournemouth will be relegated next season. Just boring. However, bad Nigels are they just need to find three teams worse than them. Not that difficult for them. 
  • Great bunch of lads.
  • the last 50 years, Palace have generally been more successful than us, the obvious .. better owners, players, and they were even our landlords for a while .. I wrote on another thread, it'll take years and MILLIONS to get us back to the Prem I doubt I'll be alive to see it .. too many clubs in London now, billionaire owners have better looking galls to pursue than dowdy ol Charlene Charlton .. she's still my bonnie though 
  • the last 50 years, Palace have generally been more successful than us, the obvious .. better owners, players, and they were even our landlords for a while .. I wrote on another thread, it'll take years and MILLIONS to get us back to the Prem I doubt I'll be alive to see it .. too many clubs in London now, billionaire owners have better looking galls to pursue than dowdy ol Charlene Charlton .. she's still my bonnie though 
    Asked this question before in a different thread. I reckon it would cost almost 100m+ for us to finish above Fulham for consecutive seasons. This isn’t a dig at TS at all, but a realistic 5 year plan is for us to establish ourselves in top 12 of the championship and go from there. That looks like it will take closer to 10 years than 5 years.
  • edited April 2022
    Living indoors at the Valley, or Selhurst Park?
    No brainer.
    Somewhere real and authentic verses somewhere plastic and confected.
    Dulwich Hamlet are far more attractive than the vapid football equivalent of the 1910 Fruitgum Company who were the music equivalent of something real like the Who.
    Crystal Palace are a desperate collection of wannabes having a bit of temporary success.
    Get a grip AFKA….Selhurst Park….?….!!!
    Behave.
  • Sponsored links:

• pains me to say it, but they are a very good side now.
  • I hate Chelsea, but want them to win the FA Cup semi. At least with Gallagher not playing there's a chance. 

Arsenal mate of mine insisted that Zaha doesn't dive, merely looks for the foul. Yeah right. 
  • Agree that football is cyclical, we just couldn’t have picked a worse “cycle” in the history of the game to be in the doldrums. 

I switched onto the Palace match last night and saw they were winning 2-0 at home to Arsenal with a team packed with international players. We had our moment in the sun, but it was small time compared to what clubs that are up there now are enjoying. 
  • I know it’s all cyclical, but absolute poles apart to us at the moment. About 18 years now since that was us. Not much confidence it will be us again in the next 18 years.

Happy Tuesday everyone…
    Theres an entire cohort of young Charlton fans now about to hit their late teens who have never known Charlton as a premier league club. Those years will be part of some nebulous "good old days" era to them that their parents are always banging on about. All Charlton have ever been to them is a mostly league one club.  
  • se9addick said:
    Agree that football is cyclical, we just couldn’t have picked a worse “cycle” in the history of the game to be in the doldrums. 
    Saw someone mention on here that we got promoted to the prem 10 years too early. Im feeling that now! 
  • When I fly to games now I’m used to seeing peeps with Arsenal, Man Yoo, Man City, Liverpool gear on. As I wear a red & white scarf I often get asked if I’m going to Liverpool or Arsenal. I enjoy putting them right as I point to my ‘Charlton Irish’ badge.
    On my plane home last night was a father & son in Spurs kits, that was a first.
    Then along came a fella in a Palar5e hoody.

I despair 😩 
  • TBH, I can’t bring myself to watch them. I’d sooner watch East Enders. The tables have well and truly been turned from the time we filled the ‘Half Awake Stand’ singing ‘we’ll never play you again’. But, I suppose what goes around, comes around <sigh> 
  • Sponsored links:

• Is pretty painful at the moment. 

I don’t have the hate levels that some others have for the stripey lot, but my god I’ve some huge green eyes looking in their direction at the moment.

Can’t bring myself to watch them on the telly, but sounds like they’ve an exciting young team playing fast, attractive football, big name manager making a mark, ground bouncing. Looking a good shout for making a permanent move into the Top 10 category and firmly establishing themselves in the top league.

I know it’s all cyclical, but absolute poles apart to us at the moment. About 18 years now since that was us. Not much confidence it will be us again in the next 18 years.

Happy Tuesday everyone…
    You forgot the bit about the semi-final at Wembley which they could easily win. 
  • And Conor Gallagher last night's MOM (again) with 8.4 rating...doesn't help.  Hope he stays at Chelsea and Tuchel plays him.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    se9addick said:
    Agree that football is cyclical, we just couldn’t have picked a worse “cycle” in the history of the game to be in the doldrums. 
    Saw someone mention on here that we got promoted to the prem 10 years too early. Im feeling that now! 
    I know we never actually achieved anything tangible, but we at least had something to aspire to - virtually every February, before the annual collapse, we were on course for the European places. When we finished 7th after selling Parker, it seemed like a failure in some ways, because we were genuine contenders for the top 4 for a large chunk of the season.

Palace look like a really good team at the moment, but it won't last forever. They're currently on for their best Premier League season ever - they might finish 9th, and will be miles off the sides above them. It's not that exciting. They've not invested in their stadium at all, and eventually they'll get relegated. Their spell in the Premier League will will be summarised as "turned up, hung around for a bit, got relegated". 

That's partly their shortcomings, but mostly because the business end of the league is now a complete lock-out. I'm not that desperate to get back there, I just wanna get out of this shitty division.

*obviously the above is only correct on the basis that something disgusting doesn't happen in the FA Cup.
  • Even if Palace get to the final, which I don't think they will they will not beat Man City or Liverpool in the final.

You lot need to calm down, they are the weakest of the four teams left in the competition.
  • Is pretty painful at the moment. 

Happy Tuesday everyone…
    See you next Tuesday...
  • MrLargo said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    se9addick said:
    I know we never actually achieved anything tangible, but we at least had something to aspire to - virtually every February, before the annual collapse, we were on course for the European places. When we finished 7th after selling Parker, it seemed like a failure in some ways, because we were genuine contenders for the top 4 for a large chunk of the season.

Palace look like a really good team at the moment, but it won't last forever. They're currently on for their best Premier League season ever - they might finish 9th, and will be miles off the sides above them. It's not that exciting. They've not invested in their stadium at all, and eventually they'll get relegated. Their spell in the Premier League will will be summarised as "turned up, hung around for a bit, got relegated". 

That's partly their shortcomings, but mostly because the business end of the league is now a complete lock-out. I'm not that desperate to get back there, I just wanna get out of this shitty division.

*obviously the above is only correct on the basis that something disgusting doesn't happen in the FA Cup.
    That’s actually where I am too. I would happily do a deal with the devil that meant we would never again get promoted to the Premier League if it meant we were never again relegated to League One. League One is worse than the Premier League is better, if that makes any sense?
  • se9addick said:
    MrLargo said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    se9addick said:

That’s actually where I am too. I would happily do a deal with the devil that meant we would never again get promoted to the Premier League if it meant we were never again relegated to League One. League One is worse than the Premier League is better, if that makes any sense?
    So you'd agree to never have another successful promotion season?
  • 2012/13 was such a rubbish turning point.

Slater etc ran out of money and only backed Powell with free transfers like Kerkar and Jordan Cook, yet we still finished 9th and could have done better with backing.  We had a chance at promotion that year with the benefit of hindsight.

They then they sell to Roland and we've been shite ever since.

Palace finish 5th, Brighton and Watford turn shite in the playoffs, and they've gone onto at least a decade in the Premier League.

• Even if Palace get to the final, which I don't think they will they will not beat Man City or Liverpool in the final.

You lot need to calm down, they are the weakest of the four teams left in the competition.
    You have forgotten Wigans cup win then..