Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

P&O sack/make redundant 800 staff on the spot

Broke every employment law in the book by all accounts. 
Foreign owned. Gave the government a good bunce to get on the books no doubt and don't give a shit.

Countries on its arse!

Comments

• Glad we haven't booked them for our driving holiday in May and will never use them again.
    We won’t be using them when we go to France this summer.
  • Apparently there's at least one sit in on board one of the ships.

• Apparently there's at least one sit in on board one of the ships.
    The crew should scuttle the f…… thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• charltonkeston you no every tory do you?
    You got me there. 😀😀😀😀
  • charltonkeston you no every tory do you?
    know
  • Broke every employment law in the book by all accounts. 
    Foreign owned. Gave the government a good bunce to get on the books no doubt and don't give a shit.

Countries on its arse!
    Not sure that your first sentence is correct. It depends on where the ships are registered and were the employment contracts are signed. The shipping industry is completely international and the British merchant navy has been decimated over the last 20 years by actions similar to P&O Ferries. I speak as someone who was employed in the UK shipping industry throughout my working life 
  • That's awful news. The P&O owners should be ashamed of themselves (but I'm sure they're not).
  • Sponsored links:

• Broke every employment law in the book by all accounts. 

Countries on its arse!
    Not sure that your first sentence is correct. It depends on where the ships are registered and were the employment contracts are signed. The shipping industry is completely international and the British merchant navy has been decimated over the last 20 years by actions similar to P&O Ferries. I speak as someone who was employed in the UK shipping industry throughout my working life 

That is indeed true. This is our PMs response:

Downing Street said the Government was not given any advance notice by P&O of the company's plans.

The Prime Minister's official spokesman said officials were in “urgent” talks to find out what the company's plans were.

“We weren't given any notice to this. We are speaking to the company to understand what approach it is taking,” the spokesman said.

“We do not agree with the practice of fire and rehire and would be dismayed if this is the outcome they were seeking to achieve.”

The spokesman said he did not believe the issue was discussed when Boris Johnson was in the UAE on Wednesday, even though the company is owned by Dubai-based logistics giant DP World.

Why would Johnson raise this? It doesn't affect him after all. 

• Any idea how many got sacked in other countries?