Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Training Ground

Lots of activity at the north end of the training ground this week, more and more portacabins being installed on the old Astro turf, while at forest green things are being done properly. 

Comments

• Looks like they've created a huge clearing in that green forest, so they can concrete it over then build a stadium.  
  • edited January 2022

• Helps that Forest Green is in the middle of no where

How do we stick the Training Ground right next to the Valley? ;)
    One of the all time great threads on here was the idea putting a pitch in the Valley Car Park for the players to train on despite not being big enough to get 1 pitch in!
  • Only way we could get a training ground near The Valley is by buying up some of the warehouses down on the river (closer to our very first ground) and knocking them down to build an entirely new facility from the ground up. Would be very expensive, time consuming and we'd still need to get the planning permission etc
  • Chizz said:
    Looks like they've created a huge clearing in that green forest, so they can concrete it over then build a stadium.  
    Thankfully they're not, it's replacing pretty generic monoculture farmland
  • It's called Eco Park and is still nowhere near a train station. Riiight.
  • RedPanda said:
    It's called Eco Park and is still nowhere near a train station. Riiight.
    I think the plan is to run Electric Buses from local train stations to the ground
  • Not saying the training ground should be near the Valley, however would be good to hear from the Club as to what the plans are with sparrows lane, are these portacabins part of category 1 academy status? Have we got any plans to buy back the land from Duchatalet and build permanent state of the art facilities???
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    RedPanda said:
    It's called Eco Park and is still nowhere near a train station. Riiight.
    I think the plan is to run Electric Buses from local train stations to the ground
    Nice idea but shuttles are always a pain, eg Oxford, Colchester, Stoke. People will just end up driving.
  • edited January 2022
    Not saying the training ground should be near the Valley, however would be good to hear from the Club as to what the plans are with sparrows lane, are these portacabins part of category 1 academy status? Have we got any plans to buy back the land from Duchatalet and build permanent state of the art facilities???
    It was mentioned at the last fans forum meeting, was included in the minutes of that meeting and was subsequently discussed at length on here.

Unfortunately or fortunately we're not based in a rural location so citing Forest Green is like comparing apples with deck chairs.

And as you yourself point out TS doesn't own the training ground because Amis and Southall promised Roland £44m for it and the Valley and the evil Belgian won't sell at a reasonable price.

So why would TS spend £££££m on developing land his doesn't own?  That would be stupid.

But he's keen to get Cat 1, so as discussed at the Fans Forum and on here, he's found a work around that involves temporary buildings.

It's not ideal but it is, if Ged Roddy is to be believed (and I know that is a big IF), a short term solution.

Some people I've spoken to feel that it can work, other Charlton fans are, you'll all be surprised to hear, are more cynical about it and dismiss the whole idea of temporary building.

Whether it works or not and gets us Cat 1 this year we shall have to wait and see.  WIOTOS and all that.
  • Not saying the training ground should be near the Valley, however would be good to hear from the Club as to what the plans are with sparrows lane, are these portacabins part of category 1 academy status? Have we got any plans to buy back the land from Duchatalet and build permanent state of the art facilities???
    You mean like it was at the last fans forum meeting, was included in the minutes of that meeting and was subsequently discussed at length on here.

Unfortunately or fortunately we're not based in a rural location so citing Forest Green is like comparing apples with deck chairs.

And as you yourself point out TS doesn't own the training ground because Amis and Southall promised Roland £44m for it and the Valley and the evil Belgian won't sell at a reasonable price.

So why would TS spend £££££m on developing land his doesn't own?  That would be stupid.

But he's keen to get Cat 1, so as discussed at the Fans Forum and on here, he's found a work around that involves temporary buildings.

It's not ideal but it is, if Ged Roddy is to be believed (and I know that is a big IF), a short term solution.

Some people I've spoken to feel that it can work, other Charlton fans are, you'll all be surprised to hear, are more cynical about it and dismiss the whole idea of temporary building.

Whether it works or not and gets us Cat 1 this year we shall have to wait and see.  WIOTOS and all that.

Credit to TS for trying for Cat 1. At least he’s not ignoring the issue

Very sceptical though. If you can achieve Cat 1 with portacabins doesn’t that slightly undermine the designation? I thought it was reserved for the very best, state of the art, facilities. 
  • edited January 2022
    Not saying the training ground should be near the Valley, however would be good to hear from the Club as to what the plans are with sparrows lane, are these portacabins part of category 1 academy status? Have we got any plans to buy back the land from Duchatalet and build permanent state of the art facilities???
    You mean like it was at the last fans forum meeting, was included in the minutes of that meeting and was subsequently discussed at length on here.

I didn’t see it on here, I wasn’t at the last fans forum, so stop being patronising.
  • Chizz said:
    Looks like they've created a huge clearing in that green forest, so they can concrete it over then build a stadium.  
    It's right next to a junction on the M5 on farmland opposite a huge salt depot.

They are very proud of the green credentials.

''The 5,000-seat stadium will be easier for fans to access than The New Lawn, and will be built entirely from wood using environmentally friendly construction methods.

Powered using renewable energy generated by Ecotricity, it will have on-site charging for EVs and the surrounding meadows, trees and hedgerows will boost local biodiversity.''

• edited January 2022
    Planning consent is required for temporary structures and you can read the rationale for it here. However, at a quick glance these structures will have to be removed for the permanent building in due course as part of the permission being granted, so I am not sure it gets us over the RD problem in the medium term, whether or not they meet Cat One requirements. Councils will be very wary of temporary structures on MOL that become permanent.

https://planning.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/online-applications/files/E97BA1847C1400AE0DCBC14CB80CF205/pdf/21_4577_F-COVERING_LETTER-796271.pdf

• MrWalker said:
    Chizz said:
    It's right next to a junction on the M5 on farmland opposite a huge salt depot.

They are very proud of the green credentials.

''The 5,000-seat stadium will be easier for fans to access than The New Lawn, and will be built entirely from wood using environmentally friendly construction methods.

Powered using renewable energy generated by Ecotricity, it will have on-site charging for EVs and the surrounding meadows, trees and hedgerows will boost local biodiversity.''
    very credible and all that, but genuinely what's the point in building a new 5,000 seat stadium? - from the looks of it their current one isn't too bad, why not develop that (probably for a lot less cost) which I thought was supposed to be already pretty 'green'. How difficult is their current ground to access?

I will add I've not read the article, just an initial observation
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    What we are doing at Sparrows Lane was good enough elsewhere so there is no reason it will not get us Cat 1 academy status.

In the immortal words of Messrs Russel Slade and Gary Barlowwe need a little patience. 

But it's happening.  This hasn't just fallen in to place - a lot of time, work and expense has gone into this and if the end result is a Cat 1 academy it will all have been worth it.

Chin up @AveryAddick
    Source?

;) 
  • We don't own a training ground OR a ground.

Oh how I envy FGR!
  • Swisdom said:
    What we are doing at Sparrows Lane was good enough elsewhere so there is no reason it will not get us Cat 1 academy status.

In the immortal words of Messrs Russel Slade and Gary Barlowwe need a little patience. 

But it's happening.  This hasn't just fallen in to place - a lot of time, work and expense has gone into this and if the end result is a Cat 1 academy it will all have been worth it.

Chin up @AveryAddick
    Says the man who was charged with implementing Roland's version. Remind me how that went?
  • edited January 2022
    It was mentioned at the last fans forum meeting, was included in the minutes of that meeting and was subsequently discussed at length on here.

Surely it is straight forward in asking the question of those who adjudge status whether proposed plans are adequate to achieve cat 1 status when put  in place.

Why would it be any more complicated than an email or meeting with those in charge to discuss it?

EDIT just seen Airmans post re council planning permission which would suggest it's not so straightforward 

Surely it is straight forward in asking the question of those who adjudge status whether proposed plans are adequate to achieve cat 1 status when put  in place.

Why would it be any more complicated than an email or meeting with those in charge to discuss it?

EDIT just seen Airmans post re council planning permission which would suggest it's not so straightforward 

I agree, I would have thought that such a question has been asked and answered but I don't know if it has or if so what the answer was.

Credit to TS for trying for Cat 1. At least he’s not ignoring the issue

Very sceptical though. If you can achieve Cat 1 with portacabins doesn’t that slightly undermine the designation? I thought it was reserved for the very best, state of the art, facilities. 
    I make you right.  Whereas it should have been reserved for the very best performing academies and others to learn from them and we should already have CAT1 on that basis.  Of course instead it was written by a complete moron.
  • edited January 2022
    Do we still use the training ground then?
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

Chin up @AveryAddick
    Says the man who was charged with implementing Roland's version. Remind me how that went?
    I take issue with that.  You are very much incorrect.  We were tasked with literally digging them out of the fucking hole Roland created by trying to do it on the cheap using cheap european labour and cheap materials.

We have saved them hundreds of thousands of pounds in the last couple of years mitigating the ineptitude of that fuckwit's appointments.

But lets not let the truth get in the way of yet another whinge
    Glad you now express yourself about Roland on here the same way most of us were when he was here 

I didn’t see it on here, I wasn’t at the last fans forum, so stop being patronising.
    Did you not get a visit from your personal Club messenger boy like the rest of us?

It’s no good the club making this information publicly available if they are are also going to expect you to look for the information yourself.