Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cheltenham Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 15th January @ 3pm | Match Preview

Cheltenham Town vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off

Referee: Sebastian Stocksbridge

Introduction
After the disappointment of 2021, Charlton fans really should have known better than to hope for an improvement in fortunes when Big Ben chimed to bring in the New Year - Johnnie Jackson has so far been unable to replicate the form we saw when he was caretaker manager, and our American / Danish owner must be wondering why he bothered change the job title. We travel to Cheltenham Town this weekend, and after the trip to Crewe on Wednesday night, we're definitely not at the races - This really will be a season to focus on the cup.

The Opposition
Name: Cheltenham Town (13th) | Manager: Michael Duff
Ground: Whaddon Road
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 1-2 Cheltenham Town

Whilst Wednesday night wasn't a great performance by any means, the worst game of the season surely had to have happened at the Valley as we hosted newly promoted: Cheltenham Town - Run ragged for the majority of the game, there was no question of who would be taking the three points in that game. Whilst the Addicks perhaps had the better of the second half, it was once again the same old story... Concede first and we might somehow get a draw, go 2-0 down and its pretty much good night.

Credit though has to go to Cheltenham for their performance in the first half of that game, they left the Charlton players chasing their tails, and have had a pretty solid return to League One for the first time since 2009 - The Robins find themselves a place above their visitors this weekend, yet Michael Duff and his men have struggled in recent weeks; Cheltenham's last win came towards the end of November (a 2-0 victory at Gillingham), and have since picked up just four points in the last seven games.

In terms of their players... local boy: Alfie May is their top scorer with ten goals. Raised in Gravesend, he'd cut his teeth in front of goal for the likes of VCD Athletic, Erith & Belvedere and Hythe Town, scoring 37-goals in 45-games for the latter which would earn a dream move to Doncaster Rovers in 2017 - Conceding goals appears the issue for the Robins though, whilst they've as many goals themselves as the Addicks, they let in a further thirteen. Not helped by the fact that they lost Ben Tozer to big spending Wrexham.

Charlton Team News
Well those who have been picked in recent games haven't exactly showered themselves in glory have they - Once again we're seeing a group of players who for some reason, struggle to keep up the playing intensity for long periods, and we're now seeing a similar dip in form to the one we'd witness under both Lee Bowyer and Nigel Adkins.

Thankfully our injured players do appear to be returning for selection: Ryan Inniss put in an impressive display against Norwich City last time out so could come into the heart of the defence. Albie Morgan, another who at a push was one of the shining lights from Wednesday night, he too could get a rare start, but unfortunately as we know... consistency is a huge issue for the academy graduate.

On the other hand it was great to see Mason Burstow with his first league goal against Crewe, he would no doubt have started against Crewe, but for the fact that he was struggling with cramp - You'd hope that he could now come back into the starting line up, especially with very few striking options. Of course we could yet see Stephen Henderson remaining between the sticks; Craig MacGillivray was absent for our last game, and with no news about an impending birth, that absence could well continue.

Henderson
Clare - Inniss - Famewo
Dobson
Leko - Gilbey - Morgan - Purrington
Washington - Burstow

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Matthews - Pearce - Lee - Jaiyesimi - Blackett-Taylor - Davison

Prediction
Wednesday night saw a Charlton side losing to a Crewe team for the first time in their history.

Can they follow it up and become the first Charlton side to record any type of result against a Cheltenham side, or are we too worried about the League proving too much of a distraction for our EFL Trophy exploits... I'll leave it at that.

Comments

• 1-1 assuming McGillivray plays.
  • Wednesday still sticks in the mind and this is the first time in a while I just dont feel confident. 

Change have to be made. Bring in some players in from the cold and give them a chance. Some will disagree for sure but I would have Kirk starting. 

System in my opinion needs to change.

Leko, for me, cant start..he was just so very bad. 

Going for the Curbs mentality...draw to halt the slump and try to push on.

• Let's go back to 4-4-2 and shake up the midfield, it will also give Kirk the chance to prove himself in a system that he played at Crewe (?)

MacG/Harness
    Matthews-Inniss-Famewo-Purrington
    BT-Clare-Morgan-Kirk
    Washington-Burstow
  • If that line-up is announced at 2pm tomorrow I'm drinking up and getting the next train back to London.
  • edited January 2022
    I want to see a plan B from Jackson. 

We're yet to see the flexibility from him that we need to grow. 

No idea who will win this one. 
  • We can't expect to compete with the likes of Cheltenham Town.
  • We are actually in a slump. Have not rushed to bring a forward in on loan - we make it out to be an impossible thing.

Really need to pull something out the bag here.
  • Our attacking play has been so poor over the last few games, I think we’re onto a loser 

2-0 Cheltenham 
  • They have not won in 5 games, we have lost our last 3. Our GD is 0 whilst their GD is -13

It has a win for us written all over it so......................

Cheltenham 3 Charlton 1
  • _MrDick said:
    Our attacking play has been so poor over the last few games, I think we’re onto a loser 

2-0 Cheltenham 
    Sadly that's true - only so much we can reference good build up play as not taking chances is part of our attacking play.
  • Sponsored links:

• are we sure that Inniss is ever going to complete 90 minutes ? .. that is if he starts of course .. Burstow looks as if he might be something special, but he needs support .. Morgan is worth persevering with  .. lack of form and consistency is a big worry, but it's been so all season so what's new. We need Stockley back and for Washington to regain some form. That is stating the obvious.

It's a sign of the times when a club like ours is struggling to match small clubs like Cheltenham Town, But remember, clubs like Leeds  spent years struggling to get out of the third tier. Perhaps we need some patience during uncertain times .. anyway enough philosophising, Cheltenham haven't won for a while, have a terrible goal difference and yet are still one point better off than us. we could do with a win, I am not convinced we'll get one, but ..

Cheltenham Town 1 v CAFC 2
  • Lose this and next week Fleetwood (h) gets seriously toxic once again.  I don’t blame us, when do things finally change?  Owners, players, transfers, every time something good happens to the club we take two steps back.

I genuinely have no clue how this one ends, it could be a 2-0 Loss or we could win 0-3, nothing would shock me, these players have shown they can do it (Plymouth at home, Sunderland away, Ipswich at home).  I really do despair sometimes.

A season in league one, being dead in the water by January is next level depressing.

Good preview as always.  If I had to I’d say 1-1 Washington pen.
  • I think another shit Saturday after 5 o’clock 😂
  • I'm not a fan of the wingbacks. I get that without Lavelle two at the back can be exposed quite easily so extra cover is needed but forcing attacking wingers to play at wingback just isn't working for us and is also impacting our creativity down the sides. 
  • 1-0.  Next.
  • edited January 2022
    I’m going to this so hoping for a win. Chuks straight in to start?
  • I’m going to this so hoping for a win. Chuks straight in to start?
    So if you wasn't going you wouldn't care if we won?
  • Cheltenham are on 5 loses. Tomorrow could not be a better time to play them and bag 3 points. If we cannot rise to this gift, we have a real problem. 

Stockley`s absences appear to have a big negative affect on our performances and results eg. 3 week red card suspension and the current period due to the hip injury.

We dont know yet if he will be in the squad for Saturday after reports that his problem may not be as serious as first thought. However, if he has not been training, he is unlikely to start. 

I`m hoping JJ has galvanised his side, following the disappointing display on Wednesday, to give it "their all" again and get the result we all need.

• Chunes said:
    The wife has booked us a stay in Bourton-on-the-Water this weekend. I've only just realised this is in Cheltenham. So I pointed out to her what a wonderful coincidence it is that Charlton are also playing in Cheltenham this weekend, and in return I've received the longest, blankest stare. 
    Bourton on the water is about 16 miles from Cheltenham - half an hour in the car, give or take.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hope JJ learns from Tuesday and rests a few players who look very tired … and even a change of system perhaps …. Matthews , Inniss , CBT , Kirk , Burstow should all come in 
  • Chucks bang on to get the winner and send the Charlton faithful into raptures !
  • It's hard to feel confident after Wednesday's dismal showing, even against a Cheltenham side who are bang out of form.

I think that, after three consecutive league defeats, the side needs to be shaken up. Subject to availability, MacGillivray and Inniss will start. DJ and (in particular) Leko were poor and I'd bring in Matthews and Burstow. Lee also looks as if he could do with a rest and Morgan is the most likely replacement, even though he's more effective in a deeper role.
  • Blucher said:
    It's hard to feel confident after Wednesday's dismal showing, even against a Cheltenham side who are bang out of form.

I think that, after three consecutive league defeats, the side needs to be shaken up. Subject to availability, MacGillivray and Inniss will start. DJ and (in particular) Leko were poor and I'd bring in Matthews and Burstow. Lee also looks as if he could do with a rest and Morgan is the most likely replacement, even though he's more effective in a deeper role.
    But after Norwich you would have said we would win Wed … football not as easy that that’s why it’s very frustrating at times … but this game is more difficult then Crewe 
  • Hope JJ learns from Tuesday and rests a few players who look very tired … and even a change of system perhaps …. Matthews , Inniss , CBT , Kirk , Burstow should all come in 
    Come on tell us what happened on Tuesday he needs to learn from.  
  • Think it'll feel like a bit of a relegation battle.
    Scrappy, lacking quality and a bit desperate.
    Would be great though, to see an end product if we manage to string some passes together that we managed at times vs Norwich.

Happy we've got tickets and to be watching from a terrace as a novelty. 

Just disappointed not to be in the away end.
  • Wanted to go to this game but on 12 hr days...cant see us getting anything from this so 2-0 loss.
  • edited January 2022
    Wednesday still sticks in the mind and this is the first time in a while I just dont feel confident. 

Change have to be made. Bring in some players in from the cold and give them a chance. Some will disagree for sure but I would have Kirk starting. 

System in my opinion needs to change.

Leko, for me, cant start..he was just so very bad. 

Going for the Curbs mentality...draw to halt the slump and try to push on.
    He isn’t a striker. Needs to go back to the wing, but that might require the change in formation/system, and I’m not sure that’ll happen. 
    Would be interesting to see Aneke making an appearance at some stage. 
    1-1. 
  • Not confident so 2-0 to Cheltenham. Anyone who thinks Albie Morgan is the answer needs therapy
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!