Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Six changes for Cheltenham?

That's what I'd be doing, assuming no signings before the weekend.

Henderson -> CMG
Clare -> Inniss
Pearce -> Lavelle
Famewo -> Gunter
Purrington -> CBT
Lee -> Morgan
Leko -> Burstow

MacGillivray

Inniss Lavelle Gunter

Jaiyesimi Gilbey Dobson Morgan CBT

Washington Burstow

Comments

• Clare has been impressive this season wouldn't take him out and definitely wouldn't be putting the liability Gunter in.

Would like to see a back 3 off Clare Inniss and Famewo, not sure if Lavelle will be 100% Ready yet having only just played 45 minutes for the under 23s the other day
  • cafc4life said:
    Clare one of the better players again. 

Thought he was alright in possession but got bullied by their centre forwards physically. Probably needs a rest.
  • Start a mixture of players who we are planning on keeping for next season and youth.

Next season planning has to start, we’re not going down let’s get real, and we certainly aren’t going up.  
  • One of the one of the most disappointing things to happen last season (aside from missing out on the playoffs by a goal) was Gunter getting enough games to trigger his contract extension.

by all accounts very well paid but not been any good for at least two seasons and arguably outclassed by Matthew’s the season before that. Would not be in my team. 
  • That's what I'd be doing, assuming no signings before the weekend.

Henderson -> CMG
    Clare -> Inniss
    Pearce -> Lavelle
    Famewo -> Gunter
    Purrington -> CBT
    Lee -> Morgan
    Leko -> Burstow

MacGillivray

Inniss Lavelle Gunter

Washington Burstow
    Keep Clare and Purrington in. Inniss for Pearce and the rest I’d agree.
  • Too early for Lavelle, Innis yes, Corey Blackwell Taylor provides nothing. Change what you like unless we get a forward or two in this run won't end.
  • Clare was one of the better players.

Famewo has had one bad game and even having a bad game he still pulled off the best tackle of the game

Innis for Pearce

i would change formation and go with a 3-4-3

Levelle     Innis     Famewo

clare       Dobson      Gilbey       Purrington

Leko       Burstow     Washington

• It's brilliant Jackson knows his best team and sticks with it, knows his shape and formation.  The players know what they are doing, clear responsibilities etc etc much better than when Adkins (and Bowyer) made 4 or five changes every game. 

2 months later

12 changes, change the formation, I am sick of 3 1 4 2 or what ever it is.  Let's go back to 433 that was the problem 4 months ago or 4 diamond 2 that was the problem 10 months ago. 

The problem isn't the formations, it never has been. 

• Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    It's brilliant Jackson knows his best team and sticks with it, knows his shape and formation.  The players know what they are doing, clear responsibilities etc etc much better than when Adkins (and Bowyer) made 4 or five changes every game. 

2 months later

12 changes, change the formation, I am sick of 3 1 4 2 or what ever it is.  Let's go back to 433 that was the problem 4 months ago or 4 diamond 2 that was the problem 10 months ago. 

The formation is a problem though, if the opposition have worked it out and know our weaknesses.

Clare got caught out at the corner, but in his position in our system, being strong in the air is less important as he's not defending the centre of the box, which is the role of Pearce or Famewo tonight.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    It's brilliant Jackson knows his best team and sticks with it, knows his shape and formation.  The players know what they are doing, clear responsibilities etc etc much better than when Adkins (and Bowyer) made 4 or five changes every game. 

2 months later

The formation is a problem though, if the opposition have worked it out and know our weaknesses.

Clare got caught out at the corner, but in his position in our system, being strong in the air is less important as he's not defending the centre of the box, which is the role of Pearce or Famewo tonight.
    If the players had played with the intensity and commitment tonight that they did at Sunderland and at home to Ipswich and Plymouth we would have won with day light to spare. 

If they had done that in the home games against Bolton and Stanley Adkins would still be in a job.  Yes you need a plan B for when plan A isn't working but you need to give yourself a chance in plan A first. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

2 months later

The problem isn't the formation agree.....

The problem is up front. Always has been & always will be until we sign goalscorers. 

Until we start losing games 5-3 then the problem is up front.

Here endeth the lesson I give every week. 

• I'd personally stick with Lee over Morgan and the same with Clare tbh
  • Cafc43v3r said:

2 months later

Probably not generally, but a failure to mix anything up could well be. Robinson and to a lesser extent Bowyer were slaughtered for. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

2 months later

Probably not generally, but a failure to mix anything up could well be. Robinson and to a lesser extent Bowyer were slaughtered for. 
    Robinson got slaughtered for always playing 4231, and indeed that was the main thing Bowyer changed when he took over
  • Bailey said:
    Too early for Lavelle, Innis yes, Corey Blackwell Taylor provides nothing. Change what you like unless we get a forward or two in this run won't end.
    CBT as you say offers nothing, how long is his contract? Thankfully Leko is only on loan as neither does he. Davison isn’t good enough. At least two new strikers needed now and not stop gaps, got to be players for a serious promotion attempt next season.
  • edited January 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

2 months later

Robinson got slaughtered for always playing 4231, and indeed that was the main thing Bowyer changed when he took over
    Then Bowyer played the diamond really well.  Then up popped Alfie Doughty and we tried every formation under the sun.    What game was it last season we ended up with 3 left wing backs. Brilliant.

Sorry but Robinson (and Bowyer and Adkins) got slaughtered for not winning games.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

2 months later

Then Bowyer played the diamond really well.  Then up popped Alfie Doughty and we tried every formation under the sun.    What game was it last season we ended up with 3 left wing backs. Brilliant.

Sorry but Robinson (and Bowyer and Adkins) got slaughtered for not winning games.  
    Obviously. No fans complain when the team is winning. But look at the stick Robinson got because he stuck with his formation. Way too early to criticise Jacko in anything like the same way but teams that play the same way every game are rarely successful. 
  • This team will get bullied all over the park by Cheltenham. Another defeat I’m afraid and the pressure will increase on JJ
  • No pressure should be on JJ. This isn’t about tactics or motivation it’s about personnel 
  • Mac

Clare, Innis (although Jason has done well largely, Famewo

DJ, Gilbey, Dobson, Blackett-Taylor

Leko

Washington, Burstow. 

I’m sick of 2 things - our complete lack of out ball on the left and Lee’s inability to create anything whatsoever.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:

2 months later

You do realise that we have lost 3 on the spin in the league, 4 out of 5 in all competitions?

if it's not broken, don't fix it. But something is clearly broken at the moment. Is there any harm in shaking things up, giving the players a kick up the arse, showing them that they are not 100% starters and can be dropped?

or shall we keep it the same and lose 1-0?
  • We’ve been missing either Washington or Stockley (or both against Norwich) for the last few games. They are our top scorers. So it’s no wonder we are lacking goals. And if you can’t score, you’re not going to win games.
  • edited January 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

2 months later

You do realise that we have lost 3 on the spin in the league, 4 out of 5 in all competitions?

if it's not broken, don't fix it. But something is clearly broken at the moment. Is there any harm in shaking things up, giving the players a kick up the arse, showing them that they are not 100% starters and can be dropped?

or shall we keep it the same and lose 1-0?
    Changing it and changing over half the team are two different things.  What Bowyer and Adkins (and thinking about it Pardew as well) couldn't or wouldn't do is get to the point and say this the line in the sand, this is now the team it's your shirt to lose.   That's the difference between a good manager and a great one.  Curbs did it multiple times, the one that sticks in my mind was after getting hammered at Westham on boxing day.  Jackson could do that when Adkins went.  Can he do it now? 

If you making 5 or 6 changes you bring in players that are worse than the ones you leave out then your almost forcing yourself to make 4 or 5 for the next game.  It's a slippery slip that a lot of managers slide down. 
  • I I can't understand why some of you want Leko in the team, as a striker he isn't and as a winger he does not have an out ball but tries to do everything himself, also standing in front of the goalie in an offside position shows a lack of positional intelligence 
  • That's what I'd be doing, assuming no signings before the weekend.

Henderson -> CMG
    Clare -> Inniss
    Pearce -> Lavelle
    Famewo -> Gunter
    Purrington -> CBT
    Lee -> Morgan
    Leko -> Burstow

MacGillivray

Inniss Lavelle Gunter

Washington Burstow
    Are you trolling? 
  • edited January 2022
    I reckon Sunday`s game took more out of our players than we had anticipated. Too many tired bodies and minds out there last night in that performance.

Not much rest now until Saturday so I fear a similar outcome. Not enough strength in depth either to change it up effectively. 

When can we expect to see Stockley back? Anyone heard any news?