Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

AFCON 2022

You can’t beat an international tournament.

This years African Cup of Nations starts tomorrow.

Sky Sports have the rights to all 52 games while the BBC will also show 10 matches including the semi finals and final.

All eyes will be on arguably the worlds best player as Mo Salah leads out his Egypt team.

I fancy Morocco to win it.
Who you picking?

Comments

• Looking forward to it, Egypt v Nigeria on Monday afternoon (4pm, is on BBC) should be good.
  • Algeria, for someone different. 
  • I bet Jurgen Klopp will be having kittens every second Mo is on the park!
  • Come on Ghana just because I know I few Ghanians
  • edited January 2022
    Algeria if they’ve got their full side

Haven’t lost a game for over 2 years, currently 5/1
  • I genuinely couldn’t give less of a shit about this.  It’s usually a dire standard on pitches akin to Hackney marshes.
    I’ll watch if it’s on and I’m in front of the box but really think it needs to be on a 4 year cycle to be more popular 
  • Nigeria would've been my tip but they lost their 2 best strikers in Osimhen and Dennis so they're a lot weaker up front. Iwobi, Ndidi and of course Joe Aribo is a good midfield though.

Algeria as holders, and with Mahrez and Benrahma on either wing will again go far. They're not far off breaking the world record for games unbeaten.

My tip to win it though is Ivory Coast. I feel they probably have the best overall squad, Aurier, Bailly, Cornet, Frank Kessie at Milan, Max Gradel, Zaha, Pepe, Haller from Ajax. I think they'll be very strong but a lot depends on how Zaha and Pepe do when the going gets tough. They could either be brilliant or go completely missing.

I'll go for an Algeria v Ivory Coast final.

• Top half of the betting 
  • "Countries suffering Covid outbreaks will have to play their Africa Cup of Nations matches even if they have only 11 players available.

New guidelines from the Confederation of African Football (Caf) state matches will still go ahead even if none of the 11 players is a goalkeeper.

Any nation unable to fulfil a fixture will forfeit the game 2-0.

The guidance has been issued after several nations reported Covid cases before the tournament starts on Sunday.

Caf said that in "exceptional cases" the tournament's organising committee "will take the appropriate decision".

• "Countries suffering Covid outbreaks will have to play their Africa Cup of Nations matches even if they have only 11 players available.

New guidelines from the Confederation of African Football (Caf) state matches will still go ahead even if none of the 11 players is a goalkeeper.

Any nation unable to fulfil a fixture will forfeit the game 2-0.

The guidance has been issued after several nations reported Covid cases before the tournament starts on Sunday.

Caf said that in "exceptional cases" the tournament's organising committee "will take the appropriate decision".

Jesus wept!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Looking forward to it, Egypt v Nigeria on Monday afternoon (4pm, is on BBC) should be good.
    That's on Tuesday.
  • se9addick said:
    Looking forward to it, Egypt v Nigeria on Monday afternoon (4pm, is on BBC) should be good.
    That's on Tuesday.
    Oh cool - that’s better for me!
  • Sangare scores the tournaments opening goal and puts Burkina Faso 1-0 in the process.
  • edited January 2022
    Didn’t realise how much I missed the sound of vuvuzelas.
  • edited January 2022
    Mali 20/1 e/w looks a shout. That price will come in nicely if they get a result against Tunisia.

Incredibly strong in WC qualifying. 11 scored and none conceded. Admittedly not super strong competition but that should see them notch six group points against Gambia and Mauritania. 
  • Penalty for the hosts.
  • Penalty for the hosts.
    And another. 
    Aboubakar scores again and the hosts lead 2-1 just before the break 
  • edited January 2022
    Watched quite a bit of Ethiopia vs Cape Verde. Pretty awful standard on show. Not sure how many full time professionals are on the Ethiopia side.

Each time this tournament comes around it seems as though they hold games in enormous stadiums with hardly anybody present.
  • edited January 2022
    cafctom said:
    Watched quite a bit of Ethiopia vs Cape Verde. Pretty awful standard on show. Not sure how many full time professionals are on the Ethiopia side.

Each time this tournament comes around it seems as though they hold games in enormous stadiums with hardly anybody present.
    I think there's a rule where you can only go to games if you're vaccinated and the % of people vaccinated in Africa isn't exactly high. Games are also going ahead with only a reduced capacity as well.

But also Ethiopia v Cape Verde was hardly going to have many fans anyway.
  • Morocca v Ghana about to kick off
    Biggest game so far.
    Before another big one tomorrow in Nigeria v Egypt. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched the Senegal v Zimbabwe game.

Senegal were very lucky, they offered nothing all game but somehow managed to sneak it 1-0 thanks to a penalty with the last kick of the game 
  • Is this just going to be a tournament filled with penalties because of the lack of ability of the defenders or for crazy goalkeepers.
  • Watched the Senegal v Zimbabwe game.

Senegal were very lucky, they offered nothing all game but somehow managed to sneak it 1-0 thanks to a penalty with the last kick of the game 
    In fairness Senegal were apparently missing 11 players because of covid, so they're probably just glad to get it out of the way.
  • Surprised Macauley Bonne wasnt considered by Zimbabwe
  • Swisdom said:
    Is this just going to be a tournament filled with penalties because of the lack of ability of the defenders or for crazy goalkeepers.
    The quality at AFCON is generally poor, most games will be fairly low scoring.

Just put the Morocco game on and the Ghana keeper plays for Swindon! 
  • Where other than Sky  are these games on TV?

Any games on BBC or BT?
  • edited January 2022
    Where other than Sky  are these games on TV?

Any games on BBC or BT?
    Some are on BBC - The below is the best link to check for games

https://www.live-footballontv.com/
    https://www.live-footballontv.com/live-football-on-bbc.html
  • Looking forward to this one, Egypt v Nigeria will hopefully break the run of low scoring matches so far 
  • 6 games so far.

2-1 (with 2 penalties)
    1-0
    1-0
    1-0
    1-0
    0-0
  • 1-0 to Nigeria, Iheanacho with the goal (Aribo assist)